12v vehicle electrics 1964SWB landy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 12v vehicle electrics 1964SWB landy

Post by Mick F »

Excellent!
Merry Christmas to you and yours ................. and your Landy too! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ferrit worrier wrote:I may have located the problem, on the old 2 1/4 petrol engine the wiring for the dynamo runs round the right side of the engine and into the main loom at the bulkhead. I'd previously given this bit a "wriggle" to try and eliminate faulty wiring, last night I gave it a good tug. Hey presto! fault cleared. I've put all the wiring back in place behind the dash panel and it still works a treat. when the rain stops ~I'll get out and clean up this small part of the loom and then I can check for the fault and repair it.

Cheers guys
Many thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. :D :D :D

Malc

So a duff connection somewhere.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I think it's in the loom itself. I had moved the loom to check for shorting out or leakage, but it made no difference. I'd tried by passing the thick charging wire from the dynamo to the regulator box wit a substitute, and then the small wire to the field coils. made no difference. perhaps if I'd changed them both at the same time I might have found it earlier. My thoughts are that there is a fault on the cable, shorting either to earth or to each other ( there's no fuse on this bit of the circuit) :roll: Having moved this short section of loom away from the engine block the fault has cleared. unfortunately it's a away down the bottom of the engine covered in all sorts of "Clag" and oil. and it's cold :( and wet :( and Christmas eve :D Three very good counts for not getting out there, Yes I'm a wimp and I know it :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not in work next Thursday Friday so I'll give it a go then and report back.

Mean while have a good Christmas every one.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Well ! seeing as the sun came out, so did I. pulled the short section of the loom to a more accessible position and stripped off the outer cotton sleeve ( full of oil and other greasy gunge ) cleaned as much of it as I could. checked the cables and a apart from being very stiff, very probably due to age (54 years) all looked fine. I think I'll have to accept that it must have been a dodgy connection. Where is any body's guess. had a run round the estate and it's charging fine, well on 15 amps going in, but then I've hammered the battery testing it by starting the engine and it's not had time to recover.

The short loom doesn't go down as far as I thought it did which will make it easier to remanufacture a new bit. just need a supplier of bi coloured cable, or visit scrap yard and take some off an older vehicle, just need to make sure the current rating is right.

Time for a couple of Mince pies and a beer.

Malc
peetee

Post by peetee »

Not so long ago when I was restoring my Morris 1000s I found a couple of places online that did a whole load of wiring to suit the Lucas/BMC colour and ampage options.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

peetee wrote:Not so long ago when I was restoring my Morris 1000s I found a couple of places online that did a whole load of wiring to suit the Lucas/BMC colour and ampage options.

just been having a look found "12volt planet" but they only do full reels. only need 5 lengths of wire, different colours, about 1 meter length.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I got just enough for a headlight loom. I didn't need to buy whole reels. I can't remember who it got it from. :oops:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.