I am not a vegan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NUKe

Re: I am not a vegan

Postby NUKe » 26 Dec 2018, 11:26pm

It’s rather fashionable at the moment to be Vegan.you here comments like We’re partially vegan, at fashionable gatherings.

A lot of good causes are being swamped by vegans professing their holiness. A discussion on another forum, on whaling, was drowned out as the righteous told everyone how they had stopped eating meat, The discussion about the whales was lost.

Most of the long term vegetarians I know are largely vegan as they have adjusted their diets to cover their views over many years,. But don’t rave about it. Nouveau vegans on the other hand remind me of the new cyclists that tell you how to ride a bike.
NUKe

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Dec 2018, 11:36pm

NUKe wrote:Most of the long term vegetarians I know are largely vegan as they have adjusted their diets to cover their views over many years,. But don’t rave about it. Nouveau vegans on the other hand remind me of the new cyclists that tell you how to ride a bike.
Maybe that's the point. I don't know how many of your 'nouveau vegans' I've encountered, perhaps they are the assertive sort. We certainly fall into the former category, having adopted the pescetarian (call it 'flexitarian') diet since the early 2000's. I find both words extremely ugly, so I never announce it unless I have to! :mrgreen:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 27 Dec 2018, 7:45am

661-Pete wrote:Anyway, from my experience, a vegan won't announce the fact until he or she really has to. Like, when just about to be offered a meal. Nothing wrong with that!

Surely that's the worst time to mention it, then the host realises they only have a half bag of rubbery radishes, a tin of baked beans and bag of salt and vinegar.

And hence the grain of truth. Vegans mention it because they want to get a decent meal and don't want to upset their host, who would fret and be constantly apologising for not having provided more.

And of course if someone says they are vegan people feel obliged to ask why and affect an interest. I have always asked how long or why but frankly have had no interest, it would just feel ruder to say nothing or change the topic completely - especially if the conversation had been about food.

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Dec 2018, 7:52am

I've been vegetarian since the mid 1980s, initially vegan but changed to regular veggie when I met my now wife so that we were both eating the same stuff. And I've never been interested in talking about it or selling it to people who eat meat. It is simply my dietary choice, not a cause. I know other vegetarians like that and I imagine the same under-the-radar quietness must apply to some vegans. It is just the vocal ones you hear from.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Dec 2018, 9:06am

Ben@Forest wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Anyway, from my experience, a vegan won't announce the fact until he or she really has to. Like, when just about to be offered a meal. Nothing wrong with that!

Surely that's the worst time to mention it, then the host realises they only have a half bag of rubbery radishes, a tin of baked beans and bag of salt and vinegar.
You misunderstand me. By "offered a meal" I meant, more accurately: "invited to a meal", something that would usually happen some days in advance. It is true that some hosts would have difficulty working around some dietary requirements, but at least they'd get some warning.

Yes: to turn up to a meal, having been invited in advance - and then to smugly announce some dietary issue (and that includes, say, allergies) - that's certainly rather impolite. I remember it happening - to my parents. Back in those days, of course, a vegetarian dinner-guest would be lucky to be presented with a bowl of salad....

Now, if Mrs P and I invite someone to dinner, we always ask them if there are any 'specials'....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 27 Dec 2018, 9:41am

As Reohn says, we are not labels. I’m not a cyclist, I’m not a vegan and I’m not a carnivore. But I ride a bike, often eat vegan or vegetarian food and occasionally eat meat.

AlaninWales

Postby AlaninWales » 27 Dec 2018, 12:07pm

reohn2 wrote:I'm not you're label.

Who are you calling label? :D

I'm not an apostrophe pedant, honest! :wink:

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Dec 2018, 1:43pm

AlaninWales wrote:

Speech recognition? I've noticed several people claiming to use some sort of app on their phone. I am not one, I'm afraid - very Luddite! :oops:

My son, who recently came back from a trip to China, says that the smartphone was a godsend. He went to some areas where no-one spoke English: he could speak into the phone and it would utter the appropriate words in Chinese. And vice-versa. Also he could use the phone to scan Chinese characters and get a translation. Technology! In my day (holidays nearer home) one took a phrasebook and hoped for the best...

All right - off topic - but it's 'my' thread!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2018, 3:47pm

AlaninWales wrote:

Original post edited for clarity :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2018, 3:50pm

pwa wrote:I've been vegetarian since the mid 1980s, initially vegan but changed to regular veggie when I met my now wife so that we were both eating the same stuff. And I've never been interested in talking about it or selling it to people who eat meat. It is simply my dietary choice, not a cause. I know other vegetarians like that and I imagine the same under-the-radar quietness must apply to some vegans. It is just the vocal ones you hear from.

You've been posting on the forum for seven years and that's the first time AFAIA,you've mentioned it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

gaz

Postby gaz » 27 Dec 2018, 4:15pm

661-Pete wrote:In my day (holidays nearer home) one took a phrasebook and hoped for the best...

You are Alexander Yalt and I claim my five pounds.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Dec 2018, 4:49pm

I am not most things.
I am me and I'm not a teetotaller.
Mick F. Cornwall

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Dec 2018, 5:27pm

gaz wrote:
661-Pete wrote:In my day (holidays nearer home) one took a phrasebook and hoped for the best...

You are Alexander Yalt and I claim my five pounds.
I will not buy this record it is scratched.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 28 Dec 2018, 8:50pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
And of course if someone says they are vegan people feel obliged to ask why and affect an interest. I have always asked how long or why but frankly have had no interest, it would just feel ruder to say nothing or change the topic completely - especially if the conversation had been about food.

As a veggie, I'd say don't bother. It seems like a conversation neither want to have. Don't feel obliged. They are probably just communication a piece of factual information in order to get an appropriate meal. I'd let it pass. If they bring it up again then maybe they want a conversation about it.....all the more reason it let it pass

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 28 Dec 2018, 9:02pm

Worked with a vegan a while ago - turned down some food that had been brought in at some point ...

Ended up having a really decent conversation about why and what impact it had made to various choices he made. That conversation was initiated and driven by me, he’d never have started it, but was happy to share as long as I was happy to listen.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.