I am not a vegan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

I am not a vegan

Post by 661-Pete »

We've recently had a rather lame attempt at a 'joke' in the 'clean jokes' thread, saying that you can always tell a vegan because he/she always tells you so. This carries the negative imputation that anyone who's not a vegan will not tell you what their eating habits are.

Well, I'm about to give the lie to that inference - and throw a hefty spanner in the works to boot, by stating categorically:

"I am not a vegan".

Anyone else care to go on the record, by stating what they are not? :twisted: :lol:

Incidentally, we've just eaten our (non-vegan) Xmas dinner, and I am feeling rather over-replete, and rather stroppy in consequence.... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

I am not Brian.

Post by gaz »

I am not Brian and neither is my wife.
661-Pete

Re: I am not Father Christmas

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:I am not Brian and neither is my wife.

Very good :D . Neither am I Father Christmas
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Bonefishblues

Re: I am not a vegan

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm Spartacus.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NO I am Spartacus :mrgreen:

No one implied anyone here was a vegan either.
You are intituled to your opinion as are all of us.
Merry Xmas to all.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I can't remember anyone telling me they were a vegan, so either there aren't any or they are just not talking to me :cry:

I've been vegetarian (not vegan) for decades and there have been people who have known me for years without realising. Not that they should care. It isn't generally high on my list of things to talk about. I suppose people are subjected to the views of activists and jump to the conclusion that everyone else with those dietary constraints is as vocal.
Cyril Haearn

Re: I am not a bot

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am not a bot :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'M NOT GRUMPY!! :evil: :evil:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I am not nice (except when I am).

Cugel the conflicted.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
fossala

Post by fossala »

Put yourselves in the mindset of a vegan. Most, if not all vegans think that killing animals is wrong and a lot would argue that it's tantamount to murder. Now imagine if woke up one day and everyone was killing and eating humans, keeping them slaves, raping them, torturing them etc. How would you act, would you talk to people about how killing and rape is wrong, or would you not care, maybe you'd care but not enough to do anything.

To top this off, your strange ethics on not murdering and eating fellow humans is also shamed and belittled on forums as jokes when all you wanted to do was read about bicycles...
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm not vegan but I wouldn't snipe at anyone who takes the trouble to form an ethical way of living that they try to enact, so long as it doesn't harm other people.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'd never visited the joke thread until prompted to by this one. I'll not hasten back, tbh. FWIW I don't think that the offending 'joke' was mocking a belief, it was poking the mildest of fun at the earnestness with which it is held by some, which is somewhat different.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm not a vegan, but I am vegetarian. I don't talk about it, and I don't like to talk about it - it's a pretty boring conversation with the same half baked hackneyed arguments being put to you like you've never heard them before.

It's very similar to being a cyclist 'you don't pay road tax', 'you're not insured', 'you should be on the cycle path', 'can't you afford a car?'.

I used to get the same when I told people that I didn't drink. You get tired of having the same conversations with people that you barely know but feel that you need to justify your choices to them.

but you would be surprised how many times you get asked about your dietary requirements. Maybe I get asked more than most as I have to attend a lot of conferences, workshops and business dinners. I try to do it discretely so that I don't have to have THE conversation (again).

I guess that the joke about Vegans could also be told about cyclists.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mnichols wrote:I'm not a vegan, but I am vegetarian. I don't talk about it, and I don't like to talk about it - it's a pretty boring conversation with the same half baked hackneyed arguments being put to you like you've never heard them before.
My point exactly. Perhaps it's a narrow distinction between a 'joke' and an 'insult' - I don't know. I've never been a stand-up comic.

Anyway, from my experience, a vegan won't announce the fact until he or she really has to. Like, when just about to be offered a meal. Nothing wrong with that!

I like vegan dishes - some of the time - for quite simple reasons. I'm probably not the most ethical of people. If I'm wolfing down a plate of - say - gram flour pancakes as opposed to the flour/milk/egg version, it's because I enjoy them. I'm afraid I don't stop to think about the morals - not much!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm not the label you pin on me.

EDITED for clarity :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Dec 2018, 3:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden