It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What happens next

Poll ended at 29 Mar 2019, 7:42pm

1. Glittering new world future for the UK
13%
2. The world welcomes trade with UK with open arms
16%
3. Slow, withering break up of the United Kingdom
33%
4. Rapid descent into unspeakable chaos
18%
5. Civil unrest resulting in martial law
2%
6. People's revolution on the streets, whole thing turned over
No votes
7. Don't know, no ideas.
18%

Total votes: 45

Canuk

It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Post by Canuk »

It's finally happened, the unthinkable, the existential 'big gimme' , the impossible has occurred: Britain is out of the EU. Its done, its completely dusted.

The word 'Br&#it' will mercifully never be heard again. The 700 odd pages repetitious thread is finally moot. Like Farage, it's fundamentally redundant. Finished. Kaput.

A new dawn or the beginning of the decline, and long winded break up of the UK?

Thank god, now that all this interminable wittering on about the pros and the cons is finally over, its time to polish up your crystal balls and plot the near future.

Who wins, who loses, which party governs, and what price the authors of the whole thing should be paying?

All the skittles are knocked over. What now?
Last edited by Canuk on 30 Dec 2018, 8:55pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Re: It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No votes cast yet, please add 'don't know'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

With any luck, the next thing that happens after March 29th 23:00 will be:
March 29th 23:01
and nothing else....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

661-Pete wrote:With any luck, the next thing that happens after March 29th 23:00 will be:
and nothing else....

You mean like Milliways, The Restaurant at the end of the Universe in Hitchhikers Guide?

Void. Complete emptiness. Vacuum. Absolutely nothing..

Sounds about right.
PH

Post by PH »

Where's the option for most things carrying on much as March 28th?
Your poll makes about as much sense as the referendum.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Where's the option for most things carrying on much as March 28th?

+1.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

You can't be serious? There's emergency contingency planning being put in place for almost every domestic service delivered in the UK. My wife is spending her days trying to arrange a supply of emergency cancer drugs to be shipped to the UK before the date (a monumental, task which she admits is beyond her department). A recent estimate suggested £100+ billion will need to be spent to transition the country to a no deal wilderness. This is a cataclysmic event, unparalleled in the UK since the 2nd World War. Talk about Brexitologist head in the sand economics. That's the kind of madness I saw in the DM last week 'They need us as much as we need them'! Stark staring, self deluded lunacy.

Here are just a few of my own predictions post 29th:

1. May steps down
2. A general election in swift order
3. Likely a national coalition government takes over like in WW2
4. Food, fuel, medical and power shortages
5. Civil unrest, probably martial law introduced.
6. The pound plummets to previously unthinkable lows
7. Foreign business haemorrhages confidence in the UK and pack up en masse
8. Fuel and perhaps even food rationing return.
9. The NHS collapses under the strain, drug supplies dry up and UK has to pay through the nose to import from outside of Europe
10. Britain rotated onto a 4 day working week as power shortages, supply chains, customs dysfunction and civil unrest kick in.

Regarding the £, many analysts believe a no deal exit on the 29th could result in as much as 25 cent drop in £/Euro on day one, with worse to follow. As a property owner in the UK this affects me too. The stock market would immediately bounce into bear territory and from there on in a long term, steep recession like 2008 is virtually guaranteed.

Airbus are planning an 'announcement' in January. That's never a good thing. I've seen internal documents that would make your hair turn white. 14,000 jobs, plus 180,000 industry supply chain jobs gone in the blink. Roll that out to the likes of Nissan and BMW and the two dozen or so key foreign players that I can think of off the top of my head and you could easily be heading into a vacuum of 2 million lost jobs. Rioting would be the least of the police/army's worries.

All that plus the collapse of the City of London and financial and insurance services (15% net contributors to the GDP of the UK) after financial passporting disappears at 23h00 and you've got a perfect storm of apocalyptic conditions. 1.13 million people are employed in financial services *

Its the apathy and unpreparededness of the UK population that I and the French look on in horror. Its hard to credit that people on the other side of the channel think things will just bump along as usual. They just can't seem to appreciate the sheer polar shift, the world on its axis which occurs after the 29th March. All of the above I believe are likely middle outcome events, if it turns nasty (which I believe much more likely scenario) heaven knows what could happen.

Its so inconceivable that I've decided to put a 'don't know, no idea' to compensate for the poor fools who imagine (even at this end game state) it'll all be hunky dory. If it were so, the deafening silence from the likes of Boris/Gove/Farage would not be so acute. I reckon they'll be on the first available fast black to Heathrow if they have a brain in their pitiable heads, and not set foot back in Britain ever again. Boris has probably already bought his seaside villa complete with panic room on the Algarve.

* https://www.statista.com/statistics/298 ... mployment/
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Canuk wrote:
661-Pete wrote:With any luck, the next thing that happens after March 29th 23:00 will be:
and nothing else....
You mean like Milliways, The Restaurant at the end of the Universe in Hitchhikers Guide?

Sounds about right.
That wasn't quite what I meant, but sounds like a good analogy anyway. And we can guess who'll be aboard the black spaceship, that goes plunging into the Sun....

And I seriously doubt if even the Second Coming of the Great Prophet Zarquon will be any help.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

661-Pete wrote:
Canuk wrote:
and nothing else....

Sounds about right.
That wasn't quite what I meant, but sounds like a good analogy anyway. And we can guess who'll be aboard the black spaceship, that goes plunging into the Sun....

And I seriously doubt if even the Second Coming of the Great Prophet Zarquon will be any help.....

Not even a Pangalactic Gargleblaster could save the day..
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Canuk wrote:Not even a Pangalactic Gargleblaster could save the day..
Actually, I'm secretly hoping that the Vogon Constructor Fleet will turn up on March 28th....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

supporters of brexit...... Everything immediately becomes better, we are richer, better off and immigration is under immediate control - there are no adverse effects
Remainers.... We are doomed

Reality is a mix between the two

Some things will be fine, some will take time to show their effects on teh economy, and there will be a number of disasters and crises
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I selected Don't Know.

You cannot predict the future. You can try, but you'll be wrong to a greater or lesser degree, but you'll still be wrong.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Canuk wrote:

You can't be serious? There's emergency contingency planning being put in place for almost every domestic service delivered in the UK. My wife is spending her days trying to arrange a supply of emergency cancer drugs to be shipped to the UK before the date (a monumental, task which she admits is beyond her department). A recent estimate suggested £100+ billion will need to be spent to transition the country to a no deal wilderness. This is a cataclysmic event, unparalleled in the UK since the 2nd World War. Talk about Brexitologist head in the sand economics. That's the kind of madness I saw in the DM last week 'They need us as much as we need them'! Stark staring, self deluded lunacy.

Here are just a few of my own predictions post 29th:

1. May steps down
2. A general election in swift order
3. Likely a national coalition government takes over like in WW2
4. Food, fuel, medical and power shortages
5. Civil unrest, probably martial law introduced.
6. The pound plummets to previously unthinkable lows
7. Foreign business haemorrhages confidence in the UK and pack up en masse
8. Fuel and perhaps even food rationing return.
9. The NHS collapses under the strain, drug supplies dry up and UK has to pay through the nose to import from outside of Europe
10. Britain rotated onto a 4 day working week as power shortages, supply chains, customs dysfunction and civil unrest kick in.

Regarding the £, many analysts believe a no deal exit on the 29th could result in as much as 25 cent drop in £/Euro on day one, with worse to follow. As a property owner in the UK this affects me too. The stock market would immediately bounce into bear territory and from there on in a long term, steep recession like 2008 is virtually guaranteed.

Airbus are planning an 'announcement' in January. That's never a good thing. I've seen internal documents that would make your hair turn white. 14,000 jobs, plus 180,000 industry supply chain jobs gone in the blink. Roll that out to the likes of Nissan and BMW and the two dozen or so key foreign players that I can think of off the top of my head and you could easily be heading into a vacuum of 2 million lost jobs. Rioting would be the least of the police/army's worries.

All that plus the collapse of the City of London and financial and insurance services (15% net contributors to the GDP of the UK) after financial passporting disappears at 23h00 and you've got a perfect storm of apocalyptic conditions. 1.13 million people are employed in financial services *

Its the apathy and unpreparededness of the UK population that I and the French look on in horror. Its hard to credit that people on the other side of the channel think things will just bump along as usual. They just can't seem to appreciate the sheer polar shift, the world on its axis which occurs after the 29th March. All of the above I believe are likely middle outcome events, if it turns nasty (which I believe much more likely scenario) heaven knows what could happen.

Its so inconceivable that I've decided to put a 'don't know, no idea' to compensate for the poor fools who imagine (even at this end game state) it'll all be hunky dory. If it were so, the deafening silence from the likes of Boris/Gove/Farage would not be so acute. I reckon they'll be on the first available fast black to Heathrow if they have a brain in their pitiable heads, and not set foot back in Britain ever again. Boris has probably already bought his seaside villa complete with panic room on the Algarve.

* https://www.statista.com/statistics/298 ... mployment/

++++++++1 :( :( :( :( :( :(
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Mick F wrote:I selected Don't Know.

You cannot predict the future. You can try, but you'll be wrong to a greater or lesser degree, but you'll still be wrong.

Political strategists and Bookmakers make a living out of it. Pick one, they're both as bent as the other.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, Maybe all the Total remainers will decide that they can't live away from the "Barnier/Junkers" Glee Club, so all make a disorderly exit to mainland Europe?
That happening would mean that the majority win for the second time.
Be sure to budget for the higher cost of servicing your car's Air-Con, as new regs with the EU have pushed up the cost and the risk of Air-Con.
Of course those who only cycle will need a fair few trips to get ones chattels away from the UK.
Maybe us supporters of brexit will get a bit of peace then. TTFN MM