It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What happens next

Poll ended at 29 Mar 2019, 7:42pm

1. Glittering new world future for the UK
13%
2. The world welcomes trade with UK with open arms
16%
3. Slow, withering break up of the United Kingdom
33%
4. Rapid descent into unspeakable chaos
18%
5. Civil unrest resulting in martial law
2%
6. People's revolution on the streets, whole thing turned over
No votes
7. Don't know, no ideas.
18%

Total votes: 45

thirdcrank

Re: It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Wood

He's speaking now saying he will support TM in the lobby tonight
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Just watched May speak, she looks like a totally beaten woman, wearied and exhausted, ready to fall on her sword.

I can't see her in position even at the weekend. She's a goner.
PH

Post by PH »

20 + pages later is it time to put my option into the poll yet?
most things carrying on much as March 28th?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

PH wrote:20 + pages later is it time to put my option into the poll yet?
most things carrying on much as March 28th?

No.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:Just watched May speak, she looks like a totally beaten woman, wearied and exhausted, ready to fall on her sword.

I can't see her in position even at the weekend. She's a goner.

that surprises me she looked and sounded as if nothing had happened - either as tough as nails or too much of a dimwit?

"Downing Street indicates that the EU withdrawal bill itself is not going to be changed.

Asked if it is dead or a ‘Zombie deal’ that will come back to life, No 10 says: ‘It remains the only deal on the table’"
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Jan 2019, 8:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can I ask everyone on here what we voted for in the referendum?

A simple question but I suspect there will be wrong answers.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Tangled Metal wrote:Can I ask everyone on here what we voted for in the referendum?

A simple question but I suspect there will be wrong answers.

Continuing free trade with the EU while striking deals with other countries, close ties with the EU, a customs union, the customs union, staying in the single market, staying in a single market, EFTA something... Norway+, Canada+++ blah... no trade with the EU, lower immigration, the same immigration, lower standards, higher standards, tighter border controls, no border controls, no loss of status for EU citizens here, complete loss of rights for EU citizens here, more indian immigrants, no more indian immigrants, more money for the NHS, less money for the NHS, regaining sovereignty, loss of sovereignty, blue passports, cutting ties with the EU fascist dictatorship, closer ties with real fascists, F&#@ business!....

That's what Leave campaigners have said the country voted for.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Whereas this was the question asked...

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

There was no mention of the style of leaving.

When will people realise we didn't vote for anything but the mandate to leave the EU. We didn't vote for any details of what the new reality of the UK outside of the EU should be.

Perhaps there should have been a debate in the house about the direction the negotiations should take. That could be held without it being on parliament channel or made public. Hindsight is great thing to have I think not.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Tangled Metal wrote: Hindsight is great thing to have I think not.

It didn't require hindsight. The referendum was a terrible idea terribly executed. My own MP was part of the Vote Leave campaign that made a load of contradictory and irresponsible promises to the electorate. Do those promises count for nothing, even if some of the people making those promises are in the cabinet? Legally, no. Morally, yes. Many of us knew at the time that Leave campaigners were making contradictory pledges, and that those pledges would mean nothing in the event of victory. Shame the media didn't think to shine a stronger light on them.

Anyway, we are here. In pandering to racists and assorted nutters, Theresa May's actions turned things from bad to worse. Now, the least bad course is for Parliament to interpret the referendum (not you or I; certainly not the PM) and perhaps save the country from complete disaster.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Whereas this was the question asked...

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

When will people realise we didn't vote for anything but the mandate to leave the EU. We didn't vote for any details of what the new reality of the UK outside of the EU should be.

Perhaps there should have been a debate in the house about the direction the negotiations should take. That could be held without it being on parliament channel or made public. Hindsight is great thing to have I think not.

not quite true? the money saved bus? immigration control? You are right it was all rather vague and wasnt on the paper, that dont mean that any type of leaving would be mandated? we would need to go back to the various things that leavers like bojo said to get an idea what Brexit meant?
PH

Post by PH »

bovlomov wrote:Many of us knew at the time that Leave campaigners were making contradictory pledges, and that those pledges would mean nothing in the event of victory. Shame the media didn't think to shine a stronger light on them.

To be fair, just about every remain speech I heard extolled the idea of staying in and working for reform, but I've yet to see any appetite for any such reform from the EU with or without us.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
PH wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Many of us knew at the time that Leave campaigners were making contradictory pledges, and that those pledges would mean nothing in the event of victory. Shame the media didn't think to shine a stronger light on them.

To be fair, just about every remain speech I heard extolled the idea of staying in and working for reform, but I've yet to see any appetite for any such reform from the EU with or without us.

I have said it before, they have their own problems, little England or little Britain they are only bothered with when we leave.
But maybe they were resigned to that the morning after.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Whereas this was the question asked...

not quite true? the money saved bus? immigration control? You are right it was all rather vague and wasnt on the paper, that dont mean that any type of leaving would be mandated? we would need to go back to the various things that leavers like bojo said to get an idea what Brexit meant?

That was not the referendum. That was the political lies to get ppl to vote their way. I would suggest that if you think the statements of what leave would be was what the vote was about then I would suggest you got conned.

I mean look at what was said. How can you have all of them at once?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:

certainly if we stay the govt has mandate to demand reforms and be a pain in the backside to get some? Eastern Europe and even Italy and Greece would be allies against the French who are the main protagonists? No one likes the Germans and since Merkel is on the way out that country's off balance could be exploited. We could ferment unrest in Spain re Catalonia. We used to be good in earlier centures of pitting one country against the other?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

May's job, on becoming PM, should have been to hold Leavers' feet to the flames. She needed to confront them, publicly, with all of their promises and contradictions, and make THEM face up to the trade-offs inherent in leaving the EU. Then she should have presented those trade-offs to Parliament, along with a frank admission of the more blatant fabrications of the Leave campaigns. Then, perhaps, Parliament could have steered a course that respected the referendum within the bounds of physical reality.

Instead she made ministers of those Brexit fantasists and liars, and then went about whipping up hostility to remain voters, EU citizens and EU politicians. For two and a half years she made absolutely no attempt to understand opposition. She made no attempt to meet with groups representing EU citizens here or UK citizens in the EU (tonight, her concern about those people sounds rather hollow).

And she lied. And lied. We've had some liars leading the country, but I can't think of any that have lied so freely and shamelessly. But then, she's had a friendlier media than most.