It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What happens next

Poll ended at 29 Mar 2019, 7:42pm

1. Glittering new world future for the UK
13%
2. The world welcomes trade with UK with open arms
16%
3. Slow, withering break up of the United Kingdom
33%
4. Rapid descent into unspeakable chaos
18%
5. Civil unrest resulting in martial law
2%
6. People's revolution on the streets, whole thing turned over
No votes
7. Don't know, no ideas.
18%

Total votes: 45

mjr

Re: It's March 29th, 23h00: What happens next?

Post by mjr »

softlips wrote:If we do remain the NHS will have to open it’s doors to competition from EU companies to deliver healthcare. I attended a meeting in Brussels about this the week of the referendum.

Can you share any details of that meeting, please? Like, what's the legal basis?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Slow withering break up of the UK' is the most popular answer now, 35%!!
Independence for Cambria, Cumbria, Scotland, Ulster, Yorkshire etc etc, Plus One!
Cymru am byth, Kernow bys vyken!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Slow withering break up of the UK' is the most popular answer now, 35%!!
Independence for Cambria, Cumbria, Scotland, Ulster, Yorkshire etc etc, Plus One!

and they then all become third world countries cut off from London's money
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:'Slow withering break up of the UK' is the most popular answer now, 35%!!

What money!? After no deal financial passporting is down the toilet and with it the City of London. Better off out.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Canuk wrote:
mercalia wrote:

What money!? After no deal financial passporting is down the toilet and with it the City of London. Better off out.

I see civil unrest is coming in a close second choice.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:

Not at all, Yorkshire, Wales and the others have industry, lots of land to grow food, seaports for a bit of trade, wave and wind power

Dunno if London could feed 7m people :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

County palatine of Lancashire becomes Great Lancashire and goes to war with Yorkshire. The sound of leather on willow as white clad warriors fight for the dignity of their country.

Of course Lancashire would have the best football teams what with Liverpool and Manchester being in Lancashire iirc. The two best football teams would be in Lancashire. That's Liverpool and Liverpool reserves obviously. Seriously Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City. Add in Blackburn, the history of Burnley, Preston, Accrington Stanley, Blackpool, etc. A truly great footballing nation.

Seriously though, England never had interest in devolution let alone independence. Kernow excepted of course. So I doubt the regions of England would like independence. Indeed didn't the northeast have a devolution vote once and went heavily with no?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

The DUP are up in arms because the Taoiseach has raised a pertinent point of legislation for the future of NI and the uk after the 29th:

'Breaking: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says in a No Deal scenario the UK would have to agree to full regulatory and customs alignment in NI if it were to honour its obligations to the GFA and the peace process.'
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:

I remember reading that London produces 24% of the countries wealth and consumes 27% of it - a net loss to the nation of 3%.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Biggest gas find in a decade off coast of Scotland. Hand on heary I can't see the Union lasting much beyond Xmas tbh. There's good odds on a 2nd Referendum (Scot) before March next year...

The only credible gas field in England, off the East Coast produces 0.4% of the current UK consumption.

https://www.scotsman.com/business/compa ... -1-4864027
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just like the R2 of UK, You are relying on a change in the Voters is minds?
What makes you think that the voters out in the sticks will benefit like those on millionaire mansion rows In the cities and towns?

What odds are you giving?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Just like the R2 of UK, You are relying on a change in the Voters is minds?
What makes you think that the voters out in the sticks will benefit like those on millionaire mansion rows In the cities and towns?

What odds are you giving?

I'm getting 11/2, but the odds are dropping everyday. Beginning of January it was 25/1. The Scots feel like they are being completely ignored in the process and Project Fear won't work a second time. Didn't do well for Brexit did it? The Scots voted overwhelming to remain.

Scotland, a successful small independent nation and EU ratified member by summer next year. RUk, marginalised and impoverished pretty much same time.

Go figure 8)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Clearly we're into extra time, are we heading for a penalty shoot out?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

I think I won
most things carrying on much as March 28th?
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:I think I won

get over it? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.