Jaden Moodie

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Jaden Moodie

Post by Mick F »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46804698
Very very sad that a 14yo boy should be stabbed to death. Terribly horribly sad and a terrible tragedy.

We don't know the background story to this though. I wonder that the moped gives a clue?
Why (and how) was a 14yo riding a moped?
Who bought it for him? Why did his parents allow it?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: Jayden Moody

Post by Bonefishblues »

Report says that this was targeted not random. We can speculate from there, I'm sure, but tragic in any circumstance.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well a 14 year old with a moped - stolen? - no licence or insurance and rode around with a mate on the back recalls to my mind the spate of moped drive by thefts London has been plagued by. Apparantly the BBC reports an older woman took a knife from him... seems like possibily a 14 year old criminal who got out of his depth. I feel for his family
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Our thoughts too. There's an issue here regarding Jayden and his lifestyle choices ............ if a 14yo boy there can make real choices.

Still a sad tragedy for his family though.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Yes.
Our thoughts too. There's an issue here regarding Jayden and his lifestyle choices ............ if a 14yo boy there can make real choices.

well he can choose to knife some one. too many of that happening around where I live and places I go to. so unlike some here not too sympathetic
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes.

well he can choose to knife some one. too many of that happening around where I live and places I go to. so unlike some here not too sympathetic

I think you are the one who felt for his family. Others recognised the tragedy inherent in the death of a 14 yo in these circumstances.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

He died committing crime.I seriously doubt the moped was his.
We've all seen how these people "acquire" mopeds...often very violently :evil:
The fact it was targeted says it all.Drugs and gangs.
Sad loss for his family but not for society I'm afraid.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I cycle past the end of that road on every training ride - a non-descript suburban road like any other. I fear that what happened here could potentially happen anywhere else in London at any time, so widespread is the carrying of knives and the infiltration of drug gang culture (which I'm confident this was part of).

The only surprising thing here - and why it has made national headlines - is the age of the victim. Stabbings like this happen virtually every day in London, many of them fatal.
pwa

Post by pwa »

He ought not to have been riding a moped, but he was a kid. If his lifestyle was faulty, that was a product of the environment he grew up in. It's a pity he didn't get a chance to show what he could do with his life.

I saw one of those collage pictures around New Year, showing the faces and names of the people who had died from stabbings in London over a year. The great majority were black or mixed race, and a large proportion of the white victims had names not normally considered of British origin. It's a touchy subject when you talk about racial aspects of things but it needs looking at to understand what is going on and dealing with it.

My feeling is that in London knife crime, and possibly gun crime, are largely a feature of certain districts that have a high Afro-Caribbean population, because of deprivation and gang culture. It is self-perpetuating. To end it we have to deal with the gang culture and get these communities to a point where they are less insular, more integrated, with their kids aspiring to university and economic security like kids anywhere. It does need some well targeted money chucking at it over a couple of decades.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What could be done about it, are there like problems in Manchester, Glasgow, Bath?

Glad I do not live in a great city
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What could be done about it, are there like problems in Manchester, Glasgow, Bath?

Glad I do not live in a great city

Bath? At the lower end of the violent crime spectrum I would have thought. But Manchester / Salford, in some districts, yes. The glib answer is to give young people better futures to aspire to. I wonder if to do that will require rehousing large numbers of people to get rid of the ghetto effect.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What could be done about it, are there like problems in Manchester, Glasgow, Bath?

Sheffield too.
There was a stabbing in Chapeltown just down the road New Years Eve.Lad from a "Rival" postcode gang :| Stabbings are on the up here I'm afraid and PWA has hit the nail on the head but it seems everyone is too PC to state what's really happening.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Gosh! Some have decided that this child was a) a criminal b) with a knife and c) not worth much sympathy.

He nay have had a moped which he should not have driven. But they police have not said it was stolen or that he had a knife.
John
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Oldjohnw wrote:Gosh! Some have decided that this child was a) a criminal b) with a knife and c) not worth much sympathy.

He nay have had a moped which he should not have driven. But they police have not said it was stolen or that he had a knife.

Ok so you really think a 14 year old riding a Moped on the road in London is going to be legit.
Reality check needed!
The attack was targetted :wink:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Trial by social media.
John