Jaden Moodie

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Jayden Moodie

Post by Oldjohnw »

One of the dispiriting things in this thread is the way a child is judged by speculation and not on evidence. The speculation may turn out to be correct but thankfully that is not how justice works. Also, it is dismaying to see the almost glee when some speculation might be right.

There is little condemnation of the murderous thugs who were old enough to have made their lifestyle choices and chose to carry out this act. There actions almost seem to be being justified.

I ask: if you were a child in a culture which said that if you want something you simply relieve another person of the item would you, at 14, turn your back on that culture? His life was extinguished before he had matured sufficiently to make his own choices.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:well he either stole it himself or was in with people who did steal it - he must have been in some sense significant to them if he was given it, as it is hardly just a cycle?

Aren't you jumping to conclusions? Maybe he swapped with someone, not knowing it was stolen. Maybe someone talked him into taking it for a test ride. Maybe it was loaned to him with the express the purpose of getting him into trouble.

Leave it to the police to figure out.

well I seem to remember a guy with a garage who knew him was reported as saying he would visit him often with some one on the back so those possibilities are not valid? swapped it with some one? like what? his Mercedes?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... I seem to remember a guy with a garage who knew him was reported as saying ...

As evidence goes, that must be as conclusive as it gets ....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:
... I seem to remember a guy with a garage who knew him was reported as saying ...

As evidence goes, that must be as conclusive as it gets ....

No question, send him down.

Oh wait, he was murdered in a particularly horrible and cold blooded way. That 14 year old boy, that is.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:well I seem to remember a guy with a garage who knew him was reported as saying he would visit him often with some one on the back so those possibilities are not valid? swapped it with some one? like what? his Mercedes?

One of the pictures showed him on a moped. We don't know if the moped he was riding on the 8th was the same one in the pictures do we? That he was riding a stolen moped at the time of his murder may, or may not mean anything at all.

He may have been killed for staying our of the gang life. Gangs do that sometimes. They kill someone who won't play their game, as a lesson to all the others they want to threaten into doing their criminal crap for them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Oldjohnw wrote:
I ask: if you were a child in a culture which said that if you want something you simply relieve another person of the item would you, at 14, turn your back on that culture? His life was extinguished before he had matured sufficiently to make his own choices.

Could someone remind me of the age of responsibility for criminal acts ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

landsurfer wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

You do of course know the answer to the question. I think we're having, dare I say, a more sophisticated debate than that.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Is it relevant?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Assuming this is a straight question, the age is 10.

But criminologists and lawyers are pretty unanimous that this is far too young in most cases. And 14 is still a child.

I'm not sure of the point of the question. If this child had, before they were cruelly murdered, been apprehended for theft the due process of law would have followed. The issue here is simpler: a child has been viciously murdered. It is not any less murder because of suspected other issues. The victim is not on trial.
John
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Just curious ... I thought it was 14 ... but 10 .. that's a surprise.
Be more Mike.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It was raised from 8 in 1963.

In 1969 the Children's and Young Person's Act power was given to raise it to 14 but this has not been implemented.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

You do of course know the answer to the question. I think we're having, dare I say, a more sophisticated debate than that.

You wouldn't have guessed it though by some of the comments :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:........ The victim is not on trial.

Something else you'd never have guessed by some of the comments :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

You wouldn't have guessed it though by some of the comments :roll:

My conscience is clear. Others appear to have mislaid theirs. :?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And i really didn't know the answer to the question ... thank you oldjohnw ....
Be more Mike.