Yellow Jacket dilemma

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Yellow Jacket dilemma

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I should have added "....at first".

Not even then - there was stuff like the Munich Beer Hall Putsch quite early on in 1923 not long after he'd left the army. [...]

But German Workers Party Party Chairman Anton Drexler "was impressed with Hitler's oratorical skills" (wikipedia) as early as 1919, so the shouting indeed came first.

Still - nasty people. Are the UK Yellow Jackets a rebranding of blackshirts?

A bit more than shouting when that comment was made. He was actually an army intelligence agent who'd been ordered to infiltrate the party. Anyhow it's not a direct comparison - as you say Hitler was praised for his oratorical skills which is not the same thing as shouting. The yellow vest protesters in London haven't got any oratorical skills - nor, I suspect, any other skills.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:as you say Hitler was praised for his oratorical skills which is not the same thing as shouting.

If you watch any of his speeches, his oratorical "skills" did involve rather a lot of shouting.

pete75 wrote:The yellow vest protesters in London haven't got any oratorical skills - nor, I suspect, any other skills.

Oh I don't know - they seem to be quite good at hijacking another movement's clothing and getting media coverage, don't they?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:as you say Hitler was praised for his oratorical skills which is not the same thing as shouting.

If you watch any of his speeches, his oratorical "skills" did involve rather a lot of shouting.

And all the yellow vests in London have is shouting - no content. Anyhow I suppose once 661-pete invoked Godwin's law we shouldn't really be adding to it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote:

If you watch any of his speeches, his oratorical "skills" did involve rather a lot of shouting

Not always l think. I have read a contemporaneous account of someone who observed Hitler at close quarters. He noted how Hitler would speak and present himself differently to different audiences. So calm and measured to the Association of German Lawyers (or whatever), but more animated and forceful to a beer hall full of workers.

I can't remember where l read this (it could have been a German account) but it was evident Hitler knew his crowd. Plus of course there would be no film footage of the smaller venues, only at the big occasions where he worked himself and the crowd into a lather. Plus plus even serious documentaries don't show Hitler speaking moderately about the development of autobahns but with a flailing arm and forelock shouting about crushing Russia.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The rabid mob certainly don't subscribe to Road Safety measure . . . . .. or more widely to "the common good" . . . . .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46822472

Worrying times . . . .
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Still - nasty people. Are the UK Yellow Jackets a rebranding of blackshirts?

Team Sky.jpg

The ninjas are the good guys.

Worrying times . . . .

With my apologies for being flippant