Brake rotors and other Americanisms.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Brake rotors and other Americanisms.

Post by Syd »

You buy yourself a nice shiny new bike with disc brakes. Fast forward x miles and you find yourself searching online for replacement parts.

Why on earth do UK resellers insist on selling you rotors for you disc-braked bike?!

Look up car parts and you don’t* find rotors listed under brake parts.

What Americanisms annoy you?

*unless you’re shopping online for parts for your car imported from America that I had to do a number of years ago.
peetee

Re: Brake rotors and other Americanisms.

Post by peetee »

Tires
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote:Tires

Just means "runs out of energy", surely.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I find if I widen my mind,Americanisms within the (constantly evolving)English language don't trouble me at at all :wink: .
What I do find mildly irritating are people who think UK citizens have the right to lay claim to a language that's beyond their control a is somehow preserved in aspic :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Jan 2019, 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rotor=disc?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't mind Americanisms if they add something.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Now I will 'fess up that I detest all Americanisms but only because they're American. This is generally known as a prejudice of the xenophobic kind - not a vice I care to have .... but I somehow have it when the Yank hoves into view.

Such feeling about other nations are absent from my word-processing wetware. I'm sure that my detestation of Yank is something unpleasant growing like a metaphysical brain tumour, caused by the toxic elements of Yank kulture with it's many gross and inhumane attitudes, habits, pastimes, violence, "winners-losers" shtick (that's Yank!) and other doings of a grating nature.

Once I enjoyed American cultural stuff - when I was a bairn and probably too naive to recognise just how addictive & toxic their pervasive violent & aggressive attitudes are. Slowly, the light dawned. I now resent not only their gross behaviours in the world but their ability to infect everything and everyone with rabid individualism and consumerism.

On the other hand, "Made in America" by Bill Bryson is a fascinating and entertaining exploration of English how she is spoke in our two countries, inclusive of some surprising history concerning the various difference of spelling and meaning.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
drossall

Post by drossall »

Short. At least, I assume that that's an Americanism?

A British cyclist may get short of breath. But will do it while wearing shorts, and holding handlebars to steer the forks that hold his/her front wheel.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I could write a novel on this one...

"I don't care" is a troublesome one :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

'Fannie Mae', this always makes me laugh in the context of the financial mortgage industry. Even more so in the context of our domestic political crisis :lol:
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Campy.

[shudders]
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Independently of this discussion, a friend has posted on Facebook tonight the following
Given that Americans are unable to correctly spell simple English words, could it be that the right to bear arms mentioned in their constitution actually gives everyone the right to wear short sleeved garments?

:lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I do not have a problem with people from the States speaking their own language but I do have a problem with Brits who adopt said language because their hollow lifestyle and/or principals are saturated with US-lead technology, marketing and media.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.