Your vote on Mrs May's Deal ( just for today)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you accept Mrs May's Deal?

Poll ended at 16 Jan 2019, 5:04pm

Yes
8%
No
92%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 26

landsurfer

Re: Your vote on Mrs May's Deal ( just for today)

Post by landsurfer »

Pointless and contrived post ... Does anyone actually know what her deal was .. Does anyone ??
All i ever hear is how bad the deal is, how there is no alternative ... What is the bloody deal !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I voted no to may as have many MP's.
If Jeremy got in tomorrow his job would be just as impossible as would anyone who took up the chalice.

The job would be infinitely easier if the back stop was engineered out of the process. A stupid thing to sign up to on the first place. A grave error on May's part IMO. Sackable error.

If the DUP were taken out of the equation and a sizable government majority in place (instead of the silly DUP supply vote), again things would be much more likely to work out well.

A goverment without the fanatical ERG in it would also be much more likely to secure a good deal. They have gone a long way to make the entire process toxic. It would be interesting to see BoJo and Lord Snooty on the other side of the house. My money would be in the two of them retired to take up 'business affairs'.

May has been a disaster since she took upon herself the snap election and agreed to the back stop.

She's got to go. ABTT would suit me, (Anyone but the Tories). They've made a laughing stock of Britain, tried to do the same with parliament and have just been handed the biggest, most humiliating defeat in over a 100 years.

They've got to go.
Last edited by Canuk on 16 Jan 2019, 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:Pointless and contrived post ... Does anyone actually know what her deal was .. Does anyone ??
All i ever hear is how bad the deal is, how there is no alternative ... What is the bloody deal !!!

Yeah, the EU Commission published it the day May and Juncker agreed: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/files/d ... er-2018_en

It can be found on http://www.gov.uk/euexit but it's very buried away. It's almost like May is ashamed of it, while the EU is proud of our transparency!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would vote No for any deal brokered by the Tories about any subject.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I would vote No for any deal brokered by the Tories about any subject.

Irrational voting on prejudices is what made this country what it is today: a political basket case and the laughing stock of Europe :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:I would vote No for any deal brokered by the Tories about any subject.

Irrational voting on prejudices is what made this country what it is today: a political basket case and the laughing stock of Europe :-(

+1 good comment!
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Tangled Metal wrote:
mjr wrote:

+1 good comment!

The EU27 must be Rubbing their hands in joy this morning. Chaos in parliament, and no sign of any end to it and 29th approaching fast, only 71 days to go.

If I was Junkers, I'd probably be having a quiet Titter about it too. May has screwed it up big time, running down the clock expecting parliament to roll over. I'm surprised the defeat wasnt even bigger. Any decent PM would have resigned this morning before breakfast.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I bet Cameron had a good nights sleep "There but for the grace of god go I"

I feel sorry for the poor woman, I think most people would have run to the loo and not come out again.

"The Brexit-backing European Research Group (ERG) and the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) later announced that they would support the prime minister, making it unlikely Labour could succeed in triggering a general election."

so what next? :!: :?: :!: :?:

I cant see Eire backing down on its postion re the backstop that seems to be at the bottom of all this?

seems like it is all Henry VIII's fault

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/15/defeat-may-errors?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTAxMTY%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

hello all, If the unlawful "Back-Stop" was removed I would support the deal. One should never offer blank cheques for anything!
Politics is supposed to be about the possible, not about the impossible. MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote: ......I feel sorry for the poor woman, I think most people would have run to the loo and not come out again........

I feel about as sorry for her as she does for the Windrush generation she tried stop reentering the country after visiting family.
She's a clever idiot,and I can only hope this is the end for the Tory party in total,a more distasteful bunch of self seeking snakelike creeps you could ever wish to see.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:hello all, If the unlawful "Back-Stop" was removed I would support the deal. One should never offer blank cheques for anything!

Go on then: how is the "backstop" unlawful? It seems like the EU (and especially its member, Ireland) is simply insisting on confirmation that the UK will continue to honour Strand Two of the Good Friday Agreement.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:hello all, If the unlawful "Back-Stop" was removed I would support the deal. One should never offer blank cheques for anything!

Go on then: how is the "backstop" unlawful? It seems like the EU (and especially its member, Ireland) is simply insisting on confirmation that the UK will continue to honour Strand Two of the Good Friday Agreement.

as I have said before its the way the backstop was incorporated into the exit agreement. Really the GFA has noithing to do with that at all and gives the EU an unfair advantage over any trade talks - we have already seen them reject an electronic soln to maintaining a borderless border? They will keep on doing that, have no incentive to compromise. they want the UK to become a vassal state as thats the easiiest soln for them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When you wrote "just for today" did you have your fingers crossed?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the vote is only for 24 hrs, I think expires 5pm today
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:

as I have said before its the way the backstop was incorporated into the exit agreement. Really the GFA has noithing to do with that at all and gives the EU an unfair advantage over any trade talks - we have already seen them reject an electronic soln to maintaining a borderless border? They will keep on doing that, have no incentive to compromise. they want the UK to become a vassal state as thats the easiiest soln for them.

The incorporation is mentioned in Articles 165, 182 and 185 of the withdrawal agreement - which is the problem and how? Why don't the Gibraltar or Cyprus backstops (which are also incorporated into the exit agreement in almost the same way in those articles) cause similar problems? What's an alternative that recognises that the EU isn't going to abandon Ireland and its fears about restarting the conflict?

I don't know what "reject an electronic soln to maintaining a borderless border" is being referred to - links, please, else I think it's probably something the Leave press have misrepresented or simply made up.

The UK has voted to become a vassal state IMO, but of the US not the EU. I've said all along that key Leavers want us to end up as a European Puerto Rico because it'll make them more money.