The Spine race

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: The Spine race

Post by pwa »

3.2mph average over the whole distance, which is walking speed. So for any breaks you would add to that to get the actual moving speed and maintain that average. Actual speed between breaks would surely be something faster than a brisk walk, which would be tough over that distance.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Much respect to her. Heard an interview with her on the radio yesterday. She was running during her pregnancy right up to the day she gave birth, and during this race she stopped at the checkpoints and expressed milk for the baby!

Absolutely fantastic!

Dave
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:This race sounds like another walk and run down the hills, no disrespect for the participants.
The pennine way is also rather flat.
Wish I was young again :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Naylor

I don't know what Joss Naylor has to do with it, but Jasmin Paris also holds the women's records (summer and winter) on the Bob Graham round, the overall record on the Ramsey Round, and the overall record on the Paddy Buckley. She had a baby, then came back to utterly smash the overall record on the Spine Race.

Don't dismiss her accomplishments. She is amazing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:This race sounds like another walk and run down the hills, no disrespect for the participants.

I don't know what Joss Naylor has to do with it, but Jasmin Paris also holds the women's records (summer and winter) on the Bob Graham round, the overall record on the Ramsey Round, and the overall record on the Paddy Buckley. She had a baby, then came back to utterly smash the overall record on the Spine Race.

Don't dismiss her accomplishments. She is amazing.

Hard as nails.
paddler

Post by paddler »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I sleep about 3.5 hrs a night for the last three years irrespective of work I do.
When I was walking the pennine way solo I was carrying about 45 Ibs and did one day 46 miles in 16.5 hrs, another was 21 miles in 10.5 hrs in the mist with no path to follow and a hand held compass, very difficult on your own with nothing to point your compass at.
On one of my failed jaunts last year I was awake for about 26 hrs, on the move for 22 hrs and took one 20 minute power nap.
I find the more I do the less sleep I need.

This sounds stupid but when I was running about 38 years ago I would never sleep apart from Saturday night, go to bed but could tell the time by the beep beep of my watch every hour overnight.

This race sounds like another walk and run down the hills, no disrespect for the participants.

I hear you about the age thing!

I was thinking about the Pennine Way - would you recommend it?

Dave
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:I don't know what Joss Naylor has to do with it, but Jasmin Paris also holds the women's records (summer and winter) on the Bob Graham round, the overall record on the Ramsey Round, and the overall record on the Paddy Buckley. She had a baby, then came back to utterly smash the overall record on the Spine Race.

And she was feeding two - expressing milk for her baby along the way. Blimey!

It has often been said that women would do better then men on longer endurance races. Here's evidence.

I feel my fragile masculinity being threatened.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bovlomov wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I don't know what Joss Naylor has to do with it, but Jasmin Paris also holds the women's records (summer and winter) on the Bob Graham round, the overall record on the Ramsey Round, and the overall record on the Paddy Buckley. She had a baby, then came back to utterly smash the overall record on the Spine Race.

And she was feeding two - expressing milk for her baby along the way. Blimey!

It has often been said that women would do better then men on longer endurance races. Here's evidence.

I feel my fragile masculinity being threatened.

:lol: :lol: Fantastic ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

As an added note, if anyone wants to mark her on elevation changes, she has also taken the women's title at the Tromsø Skyrace, (57 km – 4800 m ascent) just 13 days after a bronze medal at the World Skyrunning Championship (105 km 8000 m ascent)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
Been there done that!
1000' in 40 miles is flat, devon flattist is hillier at 900' in 30 miles :)

268miles in 83hours you've done that?
Yeah right!

On any terrain it's nothing short of astounding and I strongly suspect you've not done anything anywhere near that kind of mileage in that kind of time!

GIVE THE WOMAN HER DUE!!!!!!!

No need to shout R2.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
paddler wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
This race sounds like another walk and run down the hills, no disrespect for the participants.

Dave

Sorry to walk it?
NO! Perhaps do it in sections and miss the long marches out with nothing to see but grass and sheep :P
Its slow at a walk and rather boring I.M.O.
From Kirk Yetholm to the hadrians wall about 65 miles, you climb up onto the hill then 20 odd miles next to a fence (Scotland England border) through wark forrest 15 miles IIRC nothing but trees......then you get a view of hadrians wall Fantastic!
I suppose I am spoilt living near the coast with a view of Dartmoor, being so far south is probably the reason for so much detail to see on Dartmoor, something that's is missing on parts of the pennine way, seven miles up a hill on a track and seven miles down the other side.
If you can hack it then you will enjoy the exercise and being a days walk from the nearest road / house, top section is 26 miles with nowhere to stop apart from your tent.
Cross fell and high cup nick along with hardow force high force low force malham cove etc are good views.
Cross fell former Fiends fell is a plateau that is mostly snow covered, lost world in mid summer knee deep in snow.

Pennine trail sounds good :)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:

Sorry to walk it?
NO! Perhaps do it in sections and miss the long marches out with nothing to see but grass and sheep :P
From Kirk Yetholm to the hadrians wall about 65 miles, you climb up onto the hill then 20 odd miles next to a fence (Scotland England border) through wark forrest 15 miles IIRC nothing but trees......then you get a view of hadrians wall Fantastic!
I suppose I am spoilt living near the coast with a view of Dartmoor, being so far south is probably the reason for so much detail to see on Dartmoor, something that's is missing on parts of the pennine way, seven miles up a hill on a track and seven miles down the other side.
If you can hack it then you will enjoy the exercise and being a days walk from the nearest road / house, top section is 26 miles with nowhere to stop apart from your tent.
Cross fell and high cup nick along with hardow force high force low force malham cove etc are good views.
Cross fell former Fiends fell is a plateau that is mostly snow covered, lost world in mid summer knee deep in snow.

That’s interesting and I think I can understand it. I grew up amongst all that vastness you describe and on my one and only visit to Dartmoor I was disappointed. Spoken to a sheep dealer for years who’d always told me tales of how vast and rugged it was on Dartmoor. Mmmm I wasn’t impressed :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
paddler

Post by paddler »

paddler wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:

Dave

Sorry to walk it?

Thanks, maybe something for the future. :)

Dave
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
Been there done that!
1000' in 40 miles is flat, devon flattist is hillier at 900' in 30 miles :)

268miles in 83hours you've done that?
Yeah right!

On any terrain it's nothing short of astounding and I strongly suspect you've not done anything anywhere near that kind of mileage in that kind of time!

GIVE THE WOMAN HER DUE!!!!!!!

No need to shout R2.

Seems like some folk only hear what's said loud and clear!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:

Sorry to walk it?

That’s interesting and I think I can understand it. I grew up amongst all that vastness you describe and on my one and only visit to Dartmoor I was disappointed. Spoken to a sheep dealer for years who’d always told me tales of how vast and rugged it was on Dartmoor. Mmmm I wasn’t impressed :lol:

Its not vast like pennines which is several times the size or even Scotland and it has no big peaks of Snowdon scafell ben nevis etc, true.
But it has history and detail like no other place, in such a small area.
Furthest place from a metaled road south of Bristol is cut hill dartmoor at a mere 3.3 miles!
Its probable that being far south in snow covered times IIRC the ice sheet at a time did not cover Dartmoor so it was inhabited at a time when no one ventured that far north to pennines etc.
The terrain on Dartmoor is very varied, the detail on the ground of stone rows cists burial plots stone hut circles etc etc if it floats your boat you will like.
Its as remote as you can get down here and you can walk all day without seeing anyone at all, pennines was the same but walk for three days and see no one, west hilland way in winter back then I never saw another walker all week, only one I saw outside of the sparse shops etc was a postie who said he had not seen a walker there for over three months.
Each to his own :)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Just outstanding ... without doubt .... outstanding. I read the write ups in the Telegraph and the Grauniad this afternoon.
Don't knock it until you have done it ... and even then you have to beat her time.
Respect Ms.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.