How did you vote in 2016? How would you vote now?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which way did you vote then and would you vote differently in 2019?

Poll ended at 15 Feb 2019, 1:27pm

1. I voted to leave in 2016
18%
2. I voted remain in 2016
32%
3. I would vote leave in a 2019 referendum or similar process
17%
4. I would vote remain in a 2019 referendum or similar process
32%
5. Abstain
2%

Total votes: 95

Canuk

Re: How did you vote in 2016? How would you vote now?

Post by Canuk »

Spinners wrote:2016 - Leave.

2019 - Not relevant as we've already had the people's vote :evil:

And your point caller? We had a General election not that long ago and I don't doubt we'll have another one along just shortly. Followed by another referendum on Europe. Ideas evolve, governments rise and fall. People change their minds. That's the human condition. And all the angry faces in the world won't alter it one bit. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Result now
12 12 11 13 votes
Impossible! No majority for nothing :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Result now
12 12 11 13 votes
Impossible! No majority for nothing :?

I'm not surprised at the small swing to vote remain in 2019. The electorate are completely disillusioned with the failure of May's government to come up with a deal ANYONE could support. I have absolutely no confidence they can deliver any form of Brexit, other than a crash out no deal. Which is when the lunatics will take over the asylum.

This confidence and supply with the DUP, her wafer thin parliamentary majority and her own lunatic fringe in the ERG mean an orderly exit is not on the cards.

Its fair to say a deal that is acceptable to parliament is impossible with the current Tory administration. They've made it so. The water is full to the top of the dam, and it's going to burst soon. The EU just have to sit back and watch the unfolding chaos.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Oldjohnw wrote:
2016 - Leave.

2019 - Not relevant as we've already had the people's vote :evil:

You forgot 1975

I think you mean the OP forgot 1975.

I was too busy riding my shiny new Falcon and worrying about double-maths to even care.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I see the Independence debate is back on the front pages of the Scottish newspapers. Can't say I blame them 'Independence is the only way out', out of this literal and constitutional crisis.

The break up of the UK will be Camerons legacy. Little wonder he's 'Trotters Up' , quiet as a mouse in his gold plated shed. I said this week would be pivotal, and it's been the case, but next week even moreso. I don't think we are so far away from a bid for another Scottish referendum, especially given the abject failure of the Tory government to implement the result of the last EU referendum. Looks like there might be a season of them.
Attachments
DxEMvXxW0AI0YED.jpeg
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

RRSODL wrote:I voted leave and I'd do it again, those bullies in Brussels make me more determine than ever..... not forgetting the scaremongering coming from the remainers.
Theresa May should go now and let a true brexitier handle the exit negotiations.
Shame on Tony Blair, I regret supporting him with my vote.

Bullies? What are they bullying us about?
If someone wants to leave an organisation, that organisation has no obligation to treat them any different to any other non-member. The EU has bent over backwards to soften the blow we have dealt ourselves, and had given us a whole shedload of concessions in this transition period, but they cannot break the four most basic club rules for one member who is in any case leaving.

And for those sick of it all- if we voted now to remain, it would all end. If we leave, or vote again to leave and then leave, then this will go on and on for a minimum of two more years for the transition, and then we would have to negotiate a treaty for actually leaving (this last one was just for the transition), and as far as treaties with other countries than the EU go, in trade treaty land, at least another 8 years on average if the time taken for other similar treaties to get agreed is anything to go by, and that's assuming we can negotiate all the treaties at the same time. So far, we have proved incapable of even managing one.

If you want it all over with, then we need to remain. It is that simple.

And BTW, the 'true supporters of brexit' got their chance to negotiate, achieved b*ggar-all in two years, and then all bar the totally useless Fox ran away and are now whining from the sidelines blaming everyone but themselves for their own failure- their favourite situation as they have done nothing else for the last few decades.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
50 % Out
44% Remain
6% Abstain

Maybe a bit more accurate than polls of late?

A poll of about 30 people (so far) from a small sub-group (cyclists posting on a specific subset of a specific forum) is 'more accurate' than polls of thousands carefully structured to try and eliminate bias in selection by experts? that's an interesting statistical take on it.... It may be accurate as to those 30-odd people (unless they are lying or pressed to wrong key) but not representative of the UK as a whole.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

RRSODL wrote:I voted leave and I'd do it again, those bullies in Brussels make me more determine than ever..... not forgetting the scaremongering coming from the remainers.
Theresa May should go now and let a true brexitier handle the exit negotiations.

A post which puts the "bull" into "bullies"
mjr

Post by mjr »

Davies, Raab, Barclay - one problem is that May did let the "true brxiteers" handle the negotiations and they were amazingly incompetent (Dover's an important port - who knew?) in almost everything except transferring the blame to May somehow.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

A post which puts the "bull" into "bullies"

Can’t work out what the ‘bullies in brussels’ are supposed to have done that’s bullying...

We have voted in favour of 98% of all EU legislation - heck we write a lot of it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Seems pretty much no one wants to engage with May 'on her terms'. More tough talking from the SNP and the Labour front bench :

'@theSNP won’t be complicit in more time wasting. Rule out no deal, be prepared to extend Art 50 and agree to at least consider another referendum - then we’ll talk.'
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:We have voted in favour of 98% of all EU legislation - heck we write a lot of it...

...including Article 50, for maximum irony.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting front page in the National. Oh, wait! A Scottish magazine called the national? I'm very surprised that they are publishing pieces about independence for Scotland. Not like it is their main brief in guessing. :wink:

OK I'll give this point a chance. Can anyone post a link to a new page in a Scottish current affairs website or newspaper that's not a nationalist / independence promotion publication bringing up Scottish independence? If there's a more impartial source calling for it then I'll take the point of Canuk's post saying the break up of the union is the likely result of Cameron's referendum as a possibly. Unless there's a lot of such news pieces I'll assume it's just snp promotion and part of what Sturgeon does so well. Namely use every possible excuse to bang on about independence that really isn't wanted in Scotland.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Front page of the Scotsman Newspaper concurs. Scotland better detached from the lead weight of Englands ludicrous Brexit ambitions. Its the most respected newspaper in the country. That good enough?

https://www.scotsman.com/

Personally I think this is the ideal time for the Scots to go, taking with them their fishing stocks, 80% of all wind and wave energy in Europe, their water (currently 14 billion gallons exported free of charge each day over the border) and not least 200 years of oil and gas supply.
Not a bad haul, shared out between 5 million people.

Compared to what? Cliff edge no deal lunacy, brokered by a zombie government long past its sell by date. Not fit to govern.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

2016 Remain.
2019 Remain.