How did you vote in 2016? How would you vote now?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which way did you vote then and would you vote differently in 2019?

Poll ended at 15 Feb 2019, 1:27pm

1. I voted to leave in 2016
18%
2. I voted remain in 2016
32%
3. I would vote leave in a 2019 referendum or similar process
17%
4. I would vote remain in a 2019 referendum or similar process
32%
5. Abstain
2%

Total votes: 95

Canuk

How did you vote in 2016? How would you vote now?

Post by Canuk »

I've been saving this one up for months, simply because there were too many imponderables in the debate (the 700 page thread in the 'other place' is testament to 2 years of 'whatiffery'). Some sort of crunch vote or referendum is now inevitable, given the fact that after last night even parliament can't decide.

Now that we have a resolution of sorts (May's Deal has been roundly defeated and the extended back stop effectively binned) it's about time to think rationally about where we are at . So, in this anonymous poll I'll put the questions what did you vote for in 2016, and what would you vote for in 2019, given all that's passed and the lies that have been exposed in the intervening period? Two options per participant.
Last edited by Canuk on 16 Jan 2019, 4:54pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canuk

Re: How did you vote in 2016? How would you vote now?

Post by Canuk »

For a point of clarity (something absent from much of the recent debate, in this place and the other place) I voted remain in 2016. And would do so again, primarily because I would like my two sons to be afforded the same opportunity as I've had of working outside of Britain, without visa or time constraints and able to live, enjoy and imbibe other cultures and languages and rescind the wall of xenophobia which currently rattles around Europe like a ghost from Christmas past.

We really do need to get over this 'them and us' idiocy.

There's only 'us'. We're all the same, trying to live a life as best we can and provide a future for our kids to enjoy the same benefits we all have shared these past 40 years.
Last edited by Canuk on 16 Jan 2019, 5:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm a Leaver.
Never wanted to join in the first place and will remain a Leaver.

Get out.

Parliament needs to get their act together. May is an arrogant dictator. She needs to go, and should have gone ages ago. Parliament needs some serious re-organisation.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

I see the numbers don’t quite match, somone who would now vote who didn’t last time. This IMO is what’s more likely to produce a different result if there’s another referendum than people changing their vote. I wouldn’t like to bet on the effect that would have. I know people from both sides who thought their vote was pointless last time because they thought the outcome was certain
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you vote one way or another and vote for two options you will just end up with the other in out poll result?
EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option -- 1 out of 75 voted don't know on R2 (R3.0) so it was an in out vote like this one.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

As I don't give a monkey's about any politics, I don't vote.
So you need to add the didn't vote and won't vote to the poll.

Luck ....... :D
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Tigerbiten wrote:As I don't give a monkey's about any politics, I don't vote.
So you need to add the didn't vote and won't vote to the poll.

Luck ....... :D

I have added an Abstain option. Like I said upthread you are allowed two votes per participant. One for how you voted last time and one for good you would vote given another opportunity to do so in 2019.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If you vote one way or another and vote for two options you will just end up with the other in out poll result?
EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option -- 1 out of 75 voted don't know on R2 (R3.0) so it was an in out vote like this one.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. This poll represents an opportunity to see how voting habits have changed since the previous referendum. It will gauge the amount of change, which previous polls have not. Its not an in /out poll. The change is what's most interesting. History has happened since 2016, and it's happening again this evening and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Important history. Explosive even.

I cannot believe that people, given the facts as they stand, the lies that have been exposed and the utter chaos and national crisis that the UK now finds itself, would vote the same way.

Therein lies my reasoning.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
With respect we will see if things have changed in a month.
Its only the media who are saying peoples minds are changing I.M.O.
I am patient to wait and see.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cours

Post by Cours »

So far a 100% swing from those who voted leave in 2016 who would now vote remain in 2019..

That's about what i expected.
PH

Post by PH »

Cours wrote:So far a 100% swing from those who voted leave in 2016 who would now vote remain in 2019..

Your conclusion isn’t supported by the results.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW,I voted remain in 2016 and I'd vote remain now.
I've always thought that being a member of the EU had far more positives for the UK than negatives and I'm under no illusions as to the EU's shortcomings.
I also will never forgive the Tory party and that Camoron(note the spelling)by succumbing to the minority of Euroseptics(check the spelling again)in his despicable excuse for a political party,headlong into this utter shambolic mess,or that idiot May for being the worst and most incompetent PM of modern times.Any member of the Tory party should hang their head in shame at what their part has done to this country in such a short space of time.
The country currently and not surprisingly,is a laughing stock worldwide,and stands on the edge of a precipice of economic abyss,if anyone thinks otherwise they're as much an idiotic moron as the present and previous PM's.
My country's present political and social state is an embarrassment to me that should anyone ask me my nationality I'd claim to come from anywhere but own up to be part of this shambolic shadow and excuse for the UK it once was.

Thankyou the Tory party aided and abetted by their ultra rightwing fascist friends such Nigel Farage etc they're a turd that won't flush... ...yet :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

PH wrote:
Cours wrote:So far a 100% swing from those who voted leave in 2016 who would now vote remain in 2019..

Your conclusion isn’t supported by the results.

They were accurate at the time the post was made. Like Brexit, this poll is an extremely fluid situation.

Anything could happen!
Cours

Post by Cours »

I voted leave, and I'm not embarassed to say I've changed my mind. I can't see Mays divided and at odds government able to deliver Brexit AT ALL..

Take the stupid ERG out of the equation and renegotiate the backstop and there's a chance of delivery. But not with the state of play in parliament right now. I've said it before, something has got to give before this dam bursts, and it won't be Europe, that's for certin. It has to be domestic.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I voted leave and I'd do it again, those bullies in Brussels make me more determine than ever..... not forgetting the scaremongering coming from the remainers.
Theresa May should go now and let a true brexitier handle the exit negotiations.
Shame on Tony Blair, I regret supporting him with my vote.