Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Canuk wrote:I see he's just been caught driving again without a seat belt not 48hrs after the accident and the police have had a word.

If this was you or I we'd get a fine. No question. Time to get rid of the whole tax evading lot of em. The very idea of a 'Royal' family is anathema in the 21st century. Stick em on a Barratt estate in Slough I say.

'There's a row going on, down near Slough' (the Jam) :wink:
Is not the duke usually accompanied by securitypersons? What if he is caught unbelted again? And again?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

hello all, The tests that I had to take to get my permission to drive restored cover virtually all possible scenarios. Central & peripheral vision in both eyes, night vision, everything except having a fly hit an eye, something many cyclists have suffered, but I was cleared.
That is the sort of test procedure that all powered road users should have to undertake! TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:hello all, The tests that I had to take to get my permission to drive restored cover virtually all possible scenarios. Central & peripheral vision in both eyes, night vision, everything except having a fly hit an eye, something many cyclists have suffered, but I was cleared.
That is the sort of test procedure that all powered road users should have to undertake! TTFN MM

Care to explain why you had to reapply, or have you already done so? :?
Diolch
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Speed is the problem not sunlight
If one can not see far one should slow down, maybe stop or go another way

In this case it could be both, the approaching driver can see fine, the person waiting to pull out can't see.

See it all the time where someone who is blinded decides to chance their arm. As a cyclist I'm well aware of low sun and its effect on other road users who think keeping their fingers crossed is the right thing to do.

Where drivers waiting to pull out are being hit by low sun I anticipate that they will, but I wonder how many others also do so - these days the protection offered by cars does seem to support the idea in cases like this that it was entirely the other persons fault and there was nothing they could have done to avoid the accident. Technically yes but imo being technically in the right isn't enough.

If you think about it there's probably a good case to be made for the automatic reduction of speed limits during hours of low sun, albeit I'll admit there are technical issues to overcome to implement this...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe there could be warnings
Snow - stay at home!
Low sun - stay at home!
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe there could be warnings
Snow - stay at home!
Low sun - stay at home!

Corgi in the back seat, free bus pass on the dash - stay off the roads :lol:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Brypoeth :) , After my minor stroke I was advised by the Stroke Practitioner that until they had completed a full investigation. I complied.
At this point the DVLA had no involvement. Only when I considered my license renewal (70) did I raise all of the necessary questions.
So after 3 scans, a battery of ophthalmic tests, then consultations with the relevant team medicos, I was given their blessing.
I then spoke with my GP who gave me the nod, so I was able to fill in the renewal form, on-line, with a clear conscience.
We don't own a car, but hire one when needed. If at any point they had advised me to send the plastic back to Swansea then I would have readily complied :| . TTFN MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Speed is the problem not sunlight
If one can not see far one should slow down, maybe stop or go another way

I still don't think the sun to the southwest has much to do with being able to see a car coming from the north.

Passenger in the other car says it was overcast in https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... s-13882041
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so he has just been caught driving without a seat belt a few days after teh crash
the police have "talked" to Phillip

"A spokeswoman said "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver"."

but

" If you are caught driving without a seat belt on by the Police, you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice and a £100 fine. If prosecuted, the maximum fine is £500."

so why hasnt he been given a fixed penalty notice? seems like if you are duke you are are above the law?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46935721
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps he has, is the information confidential? Certainly he should be treated like a normal person, anyone disagree?

The cops often check drivers they stop, they might find that someone going too fast, had drugs in the boot or was wanted for other offences

Any news about the other people in the 'accident', especially the baby?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Grey is the most popular new car colour!
Reported last week.

Dipped headlights definitely an aid to being seen by the waiting vehicle esp on a grey car on a grey day.
Especially to old and tired eyes.(not that I'm suggesting the Duke is cold and tired. :shock: )
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 20 Jan 2019, 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:so he has just been caught driving without a seat belt a few days after teh crash

but

" If you are caught driving without a seat belt on by the Police, you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice and a £100 fine. If prosecuted, the maximum fine is £500."

so why hasnt he been given a fixed penalty notice? seems like if you are duke you are are above the law?

Exactly my point up thread. Thanks for regurgitating it :lol:

I'd send the whole 'Royal' family to live on a council estate in Slough in return for the privilege they currently enjoy. I bet he's got points on his licence already also.

The French had the right idea with M.Guillotine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:so he is back driving

.... no actual reasons as yet why he shouldn't

Seriously??

Absolutely.....

I am quite willing to accept any factual evidenced and valid reasons why he should not.... Please feel free to post them
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Canuk wrote:
mercalia wrote:so he has just been caught driving without a seat belt a few days after teh crash

but

Exactly my point up thread. Thanks for regurgitating it :lol:

I'd send the whole 'Royal' family to live on a council estate in Slough in return for the privilege they currently enjoy. I bet he's got points on his licence already also.

The French had the right idea with M.Guillotine.

Except that the whole basis is incorrect (see highlight), this is again becoming more about personal bias than reality or evidence in the incident

He has NOT ben caught by the Police at all.... it was a photograph of him sent to the Police

As the Police stated in their response:

[quote]A spokeswoman for the Norfolk Constabulary said the force was aware of the photographs and had spoken to the driver.
"This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offence," she said./quote]
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

So it has changed from "not prosecuting because he is the DoE" to "speaking to him nicely" because he is the DoE!!

The fact still remains that it is under investigation, and most accidents like these do not see formal prosecutions.

Speaking to him nicely will not alter that

I was replying to you saying "You have yet to prove that he is being treated any differently" that of course was treated differently - they would have been far more deferential for a start. I'd put money on him being treated differently when he attended hospital. I very much doubt he had to wait in the triage queue.

I repeat again you're incredibly naive if you think his status means he receives the same treatment from the authorities as a normal member of the public. Where the police are called and a potential driving offence results in injuries requiring hospitalisation as this did there is usually a prosecution.

Really?

Still seems rather based on personal feelings and assumption rather than any evidence

What is your experience with the Royal Family in Hospital?

Also the prosecution (or not) is still purely conjecture as are any claims of special treatment

No experience at all but I do know someone who was nursing at Queens in Nottingham when Charlie boy was taken in with a broken shoulder after falling of his hunter about 20 years ago. She said he was given much more preferential treatment than the rest of us would have received.

You seem to have personal feelings in favour of the Buck House leeches.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker