Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Duke In Rollover

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Maybe time to call it a day?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Maybe time to call it a day?

I hope HE wasnt driving? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: at his age. You notice the news dont say that? or not
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

He was driving. A neighbour of mine still drives she is 97 and is one of the most careful drivers I encounter around here. Everyday she takes her dogs up to Worcester Woods to exercise them.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

For a minute there I thought he'd won the lottery :shock:

He was driving and I have problem with that if he's capable,there's a lot younger people who I wouldn't trust drive sheep!

I'm no royalist but I hope he's ok as a shock like that at his age could kill him.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sorry, but IMHO it's an absolute disgrace that a 97yo with a house full of servants is driving a high powered vehicle on public roads. It's not as if being chauffeured would harm his lifestyle.

My brother was knocked off his bike by an old and clearly not capable driver.

Driving should be seen as a responsibility, not a right.

He should be investigated and prosecuted if appropriate.

Older drivers should have mandatory retests (as should all drivers, but particularly those at high risk).

Shocking.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The bias against older drivers has been discussed before.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Rather than ill-informed conjecture to fit an agenda, howzabout actually waiting for the Police Report into the accident

No-one actually knows what happened
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:Rather than ill-informed conjecture to fit an agenda, howzabout actually waiting for the Police Report into the accident

No-one actually knows what happened

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

On BBC news now.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Strong inference that he was the party at fault
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I made no conjecture as to the cause of the accident.

The points hold regardless.

If anyone wishes to drive on public roads at that age, they should be subject to frequent testing.

It's not credible that many people at that age are fit to drive. If they they are, fine, but they should have to prove it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Don't you have to reapply for tie licence every 5 years from 70 years of age? The form gets you to confirm you're fit to drive. So the checking is in place.

I say that system should apply to everyone. Actually I thought there was something in law about every driver being responsible to hand in their licence if they believe they're unfit to drive. Correct me if one wrong but if that's the truth I expect there are loads of licences being handed over every week by young lads in small cars as well as 70+ year olds.

As to the Duke. He semi retired a couple of years ago on. Health grounds. He's had several health issues over recent years, a hip transplant and to be seemed like he's been heading into infirmity for a few years now. It surprised me to hear he still drives cars on public roads (what he does on private lands owned by his missus is up to him) because of the last few appearances. In his position there's no reason to risk driving yourself. The 97 year old neighbour of one poster on here probably doesn't have servants, chauffeurs and police security detail so could drive for her like the Duke has.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Reporters appear to be standing in the mouth of the lane to St Felix Chapel, which is the quietest arm of that crossroads by some way. The vehicles after impact appear to have landed on National Cycle Route 1 here: https://osm.org/go/0EUjxQr26-?layers=C&m= geo:52.80869,0.48473

Only a verge protects the cycleway just there (mostly it is behind trees). It seems like only luck that they didn't hit a cyclist.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:For a minute there I thought he'd won the lottery :shock:

Made me laugh.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not read recent news online but on radio Duke has been breathalysed as has the other driver, two women receiving treatment for cuts.
Me at 60 have noticed my reactions are slower than they used to be, I cant react quickly enough physically.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.