Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Anyone who thinks the Duke of Edinburgh might be prosecuted knows nothing about how the UK Establishment works.

IT is all entirely conjecture , but it would appear that the quoted details would apply to ANYONE, not just the Duke of Edinburgh, so it would appear to be a far more level playing field than you suggest. If Fred Bloggs from the Council Estate in Kings Lynn was in the same position all of these would apply

I feel sorry for your naivety if you really think someone from a council estate and the husband of a reigning monarch would receive exactly the same treatment by the Police and the CPS.

Or for the bias that suggests he wouldn't?

As has been pointed out many times today....If this accident had been at the end of your street with tow comparable local drivers, would any further action be taken?

It would probably be a job for the insurance companies and no further action...... You have yet to prove that he is being treated any differently
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
IT is all entirely conjecture , but it would appear that the quoted details would apply to ANYONE, not just the Duke of Edinburgh, so it would appear to be a far more level playing field than you suggest. If Fred Bloggs from the Council Estate in Kings Lynn was in the same position all of these would apply

I feel sorry for your naivety if you really think someone from a council estate and the husband of a reigning monarch would receive exactly the same treatment by the Police and the CPS.

Or for the bias that suggests he wouldn't?

As has been pointed out many times today....If this accident had been at the end of your street with tow comparable local drivers, would any further action be taken?

It would probably be a job for the insurance companies and no further action...... You have yet to prove that he is being treated any differently

Let's see, shall we.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, He may not actually have insurance, nor might he need any!
Of course he will have a license, but he probably won't have had to undertake a driving test. His pilots license may have lapsed?
Er Indoors will be giving him an earfull, DoS!
On a serious note he will suffer just like many folk who feel they are losing their freedom with driving rights gone, must make sure his bus pass is still valid. Folk who live in rural areas must suffer far more than us who live in urban locations, total isolation at the snap of the fingers.
TTFN MM

The Pilot's licence is an interesting one, as he voluntarily surrendered this in August 1997 after accumulating 5,986 hours as a pilot in 59 types of aircraft in 44 years.

So it sets a precedent for him surrendering a licence voluntarily
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:Please do not paste fake news unchecked: NCC discussed the A149, as you can see on the agenda at http://norfolkcc.cmis.uk.com/norfolkcc/ ... fault.aspx under item 13, or the various statements by the council in the news this morning.

Dismissing things as "Fake News" is a "Trumpism"

I can only apologise if local residents, the Police,and the Local Councillors have lied to the press and given misinformation.

Normal practice is to look at different reports and triangulate the sources which is what I have done. Consistently sources have confirmed the information

In particular, the following people must be considered as liars:
Councillor Colleen Walker
Highways Engineer Andrew Wadsworth

Post links to your sources. I haven't noticed either of those two lying before and sources I've seen have consistenly said the safety investigation and now measures covers the A149.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
yostumpy wrote:I wonder if he was insured?

he didnt pass a test did he have a license even?

Yep... He has complied with all the DVLA requirements
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:Please do not paste fake news unchecked: NCC discussed the A149, as you can see on the agenda at http://norfolkcc.cmis.uk.com/norfolkcc/ ... fault.aspx under item 13, or the various statements by the council in the news this morning.

I can only apologise if local residents, the Police,and the Local Councillors have lied to the press and given misinformation.

Normal practice is to look at different reports and triangulate the sources which is what I have done. Consistently sources have confirmed the information

Post links to your sources. I haven't noticed either of those two lying before and sources I've seen have consistenly said the safety investigation and now measures covers the A149.

Yet more "Fake News" ?

... and more...

... and. more?....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mercalia wrote: ... he didnt pass a test did he have a license even?
(My emphasis)

Where does the assertion I've enlarged come from?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Yet more "Fake News" ?

... and more...

... and. more?....

Something wrong with those links when I tried them. The third had no story related to the Duke. The first and second appeared to be links to the same sky news page but searched through yahoo and through msn search. If that's right then you had one news story that made a mistake with the road reference and the other link had no relevant news item.

I think you need to check those links as they're not supporting you in a convincing way. I'm saying that as someone who does not know if you're right or wrong and would be interested. Is this bad reporting of this by getting the road wrong or are the council looking at the smaller road?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Duke said to the guy who got him out that he had been dazzled by the low sun, thought as much. We noticed the sun at 3pm it was awful very low on the horizon, impossible to see into it crossing a nearby road.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 19 Jan 2019, 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:In particular, the following people must be considered as liars:

Yet more "Fake News" ?

... and more...

... and. more?....

First is Yahoo, which won't open here because of some GDPR thing.

Second is Sky News, who are notoriously inaccurate, but don't seem to mention the named people. It also links to another Sky News report which gets it right at https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/p ... ar-BBSqGho

Third is a list of stories that look scraped from other sites that says nothing about this.

Where are the sources showing the councillor and officer lying?
Last edited by mjr on 18 Jan 2019, 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:
(My emphasis)

Many thousands of drivers have not

Between 1939 and 1946, (and during teh Suez crisis in 1956) the driving test was suspended ... following the reintroduction there was an amnesty was given for all those who held a wartime provisional licence, and who had driven responsibly and were accident free were awarded the full driving licence after a cursory record check or test.

So the quick answer the conjecture is that he probably didn't pass a test, but did hold a full license and complies fully with the requirements of DVLA
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote:
(My emphasis)

I'm guessing that this assertion came about because a 97 year old learnt to drive in the 1930s and driving tests only came into force that year. However my maths put him at 14 years old when the driving tests started in June 1935. So he probably did a test. Unless he learnt in the armed forces which didn't bring tests in 1939 when he would be 18 years old. He was still a cadet in the Royal navy until 1940, so I suspect he didn't learn to drive in the navy before they brought in testing.

This is all conjecture on. My part but I believe his dob and when he went into the RN meant he had to have had some form of driving test. If anyone knows better post or forget this idea that he is old enough to have avoided testing to get a license.

BTW my grandad was born after the Duke and never took a test. He was American which brought in testing later. His licence was converted to a UK licence under some kind of equivalency agreement between the two countries I believe. I think you have to be 100+ to have got your civilian licence before testing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My dear old dad learned to drive army lorries during the war although that "skill" was officially recorded so when he bought his first car in 1965 he was able to use that to get his driving licence. Other organisations have (or had) the authority to issue driving licences.

I'd still be interested to know from the person who made it the basis of the assertion that the Duke of Edinburgh "didn't pass a test."
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

My dad didn't have to pass a test and neither did my Auntie May - she got her licence driving lorries in World War II. She came to visit us some time around 1970; she took us for a jaunt down the coast in her Austin 1100 and when we came back from Dunure to Doonfoot (Ayr), she took us around the roundabout the wrong way. It was funny at the time but only because we didn't die.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:This is all conjecture on. My part but I believe his dob and when he went into the RN meant he had to have had some form of driving test. If anyone knows better post or forget this idea that he is old enough to have avoided testing to get a license.

A relative who got their licence from the Army described their "test" as being reversing between two posts as that was the only thing the supervising officer wanted to check. Of course, he was a fine driver and had, as I understand it, been driving gnarly military vehicles around Germany for months under supervision by that point, presumably risking military discipline if he binned it.

On the one hand, such a short, easy test seems a joke, but on the other, isn't such a long scrutiny better than the short one-off test most of us do? But it does depend how consistent the scrutineers are and I doubt there was much Quality Control applied.