Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mjr wrote:Sounds like she's refused to say who was driving her car when it was snapped by a speed camera? One law for the duke (arguably causes crash, not prosecuted), another for the plebs (car snapped by speed camera, prosecuted)?

I’m no fan of the Royals (far from it) but I’m not sure you have this right.

I don’t think any 97yo who was involved in a crash but subsequently voluntarily gave up their licence would be prosecuted.

Equally, I don’t think anyone snapped by a speed camera would avoid prosecution.

So you're saying why one got off and the other didn't is partly age-related rather than class-related? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mjr wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mjr wrote:Sounds like she's refused to say who was driving her car when it was snapped by a speed camera? One law for the duke (arguably causes crash, not prosecuted), another for the plebs (car snapped by speed camera, prosecuted)?

I’m no fan of the Royals (far from it) but I’m not sure you have this right.

I don’t think any 97yo who was involved in a crash but subsequently voluntarily gave up their licence would be prosecuted.

Equally, I don’t think anyone snapped by a speed camera would avoid prosecution.

So you're saying why one got off and the other didn't is partly age-related rather than class-related? ;)

Well, not so much age related as not in the public interest to prosecute. As he'd already given up his licence, which is probably the harshest sentence a court was likely to hand down, it's clearly not in the public interest to prosecute.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Prince Philip crash woman banned over unconnected offences

She admitted two counts of speeding and two of failing to identify a driver accused of a speeding offence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48438702
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

thirdcrank wrote:Prince Philip crash woman banned over unconnected offences

She admitted two counts of speeding and two of failing to identify a driver accused of a speeding offence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48438702

Like it says it’s unconnected.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

NUKe wrote: ... Like it says it’s unconnected.

But it was discussed earlier in the thread:-
viewtopic.php?p=1345291#p1345291
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

It is unconnected, but it undermines her credibility as a witness regarding such matters, so indirectly it's very relevant if anyone was thinking of prosecuting the Jook.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:It is unconnected, but it undermines her credibility as a witness regarding such matters, so indirectly it's very relevant if anyone was thinking of prosecuting the Jook.

Might legally and in fact be unconnected but she makes a pretty poor and unreliable witness. Had the Duke been taken to court she would have been eaten alive by HRH's legal team.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:It is unconnected, but it undermines her credibility as a witness regarding such matters, so indirectly it's very relevant if anyone was thinking of prosecuting the Jook.

Might legally and in fact be unconnected but she makes a pretty poor and unreliable witness. Had the Duke been taken to court she would have been eaten alive by HRH's legal team.

Which probably would have been a PR disaster.

Meanwhile, we've been consulted on the aforementioned safety scheme. As part of it, they've tried to close ends of minor roads adjacent to National Cycle Route 1 which would obviously increase the numbers driving on National 1, so we've objected and requested they close National 1 to motorists too. Norfolk county council has reverted to a cabinet system so I'm not sure if we see any more democratic process or if some faraway councillor just rules now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.