Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps tailgaters inevitably concentrate totally on the vehicle in front because they instinctively know that the big danger is that they will shunt it. When driving on single carriageway roads, especially narrow ones. I always try to pull over to let tailgaters overtake, which generally involves stopping. That's not always possible if somebody is right up your exhaust, but often, they just pull in behind, presumably because they are not looking beyond my car. The weird thing is, the most likely time for a stupid overtake is if I've pulled over for an emergency vehicle coming the other way, which must surely be a sign of not looking beyond the vehicle being tailgated

Indeed, in those circumstances, an overtake is a very good thing indeed, and much to be encouraged in a 'rather have that in front of me than behind me' sense.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps tailgaters inevitably concentrate totally on the vehicle in front because they instinctively know that the big danger is that they will shunt it. When driving on single carriageway roads, especially narrow ones. I always try to pull over to let tailgaters overtake, which generally involves stopping. That's not always possible if somebody is right up your exhaust, but often, they just pull in behind, presumably because they are not looking beyond my car. The weird thing is, the most likely time for a stupid overtake is if I've pulled over for an emergency vehicle coming the other way, which must surely be a sign of not looking beyond the vehicle being tailgated

Indeed, in those circumstances, an overtake is a very good thing indeed, and much to be encouraged in a 'rather have that in front of me than behind me' sense.

Good for you maybe but the idiot will soon catch up with another vehicle and do the same, often one sees them trying to hide behind a truck
The next idiot behind will be sitting on your tail soon enough too
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Jan 2019, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... rather have that in front of me than behind me ....

Exactly. Then if somebody, be it a duke or somebody less prominent, pulls out from a side road, they take the hit, not you. Nor are you inhibited from an emergency stop for fear of being shunted.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Good for you maybe but the idiot will soon catch up with another vehicle and do the same, often one sees them trying to hide behind a truck

Then they too will pass me, I'm sure.

I am not a policeman, I simply seek to make safe and efficient progress to where I need to go. Others' behaviour is for they to consider, and answer for in extremis.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Duke P must be quite happy at all the exposure he had got on this forum? :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Perhaps because I have been on the working side of an emergency vehicle, but I know that the easiest thing is predictable trafficI admit that as soon as I hear or see on, I am planning, and pull over in plenty of time

I have had overtakers pull out in front of the Emergency and cause it to brake, and seen other tailgating the emergency vehicle in order to avoid the traffic

Remember one German vehicle who overtook and then indicate a right turn..... not possible because the road was blocked with traffic. Fire engine right at his tail with horns sirens and lights. Only moved when two large firemen knocked on his window and suggested moving to the kerb

Even these are not a consideration for some drivers

A recent situation in Portsmouth over pavement parking which had narrowed the road so that a fire engine could not get through.... for many of the letters the sentiment that it was unto the Fire Engine to find an alternative route as they "had" to park their cars in the street
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

am planning my retirement now, without a car, in a small town with trams :wink:

When you find such a place, let me know.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As I originated post-
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/10 ... rgh-letter
"He said: “I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads.

“I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road.

“It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash. “In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road.

In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences.”
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 27 Jan 2019, 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Local to me so I thought I would post, not ageism but whether you can actually see to drive :twisted:
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ath-739404

"A pensioner passed an eye test just weeks before he caused the death of a well-known businessman by careless driving, a court has been told.

William Searle, 73, crashed with the motorbike being ridden by father-of-two Jerry Daniell as his Mercedes pulled out of the Milber Service Station in Newton Abbot.

And on the first day of the ongoing trial the court was told that two days after the crash police visited his home and he was unable to correctly read a number plate from a distance of 20m on three separate occasions."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We had a locum at one time who would read medicines and give injections with his nose about 2" from the object

We had several complaints from patients and our own concerns.

When we contacted the Agency over our concerns, they provided a perfect eye test... the locum didn't even need the thick lens glasses they wore!

Eye tests can be faked
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
As I originated post-
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/10 ... rgh-letter
"He said: “I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads.

“I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road.

“It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash. “In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road.

In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences.”

That would suggest approval by the Lawyers and Insurers
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

A few years ago, the govt agency I was working for at the time insisted that any employee who drove a car on work business must have appropriate training. So we all got sent out for day-long practical lessions in "defensive driving"- in my case the instructor was an ex traffic cop. We'd drive for a bit, then stop and dissect/analyse/consider shat should be done differently. The emphasis was on driving to avoiding collisions and so that all road users getting to where they are going safely- "making progress" was not really on the agenda. It was emphasised that it matters not who was in the wrong or the right- being in the right doesn't help if you (or anyone else) is injured or dead.

Some themes and little phrases I still remember: "the speed limit is a limit not a target- don't be afraid to slow down to match the conditions." "Better to be at the front of this queue than at the back of the next one-" when being tailgated- and you could see that half a mile ahead was another queue of traffic behind (say) a truck. We were specifically taught that the bext thing if tailgated is slow down and create space around you so that you can stop without picking up another vehicle in your boot if necessary. Never make a move which would cause another road user to take evasive action. ALways creating a safe space around you was an underlying theme.

Over the years I have tried to put what I was taught into practice, and whilst I cannot say if I am a better driver, I'm certainly calmer and don't really get frustrated any more. I always try to remember that my goal is getting to a place safely and without any damage to anyone- if nothing else it's better for the blood pressure!

The observational side they taught was also helpful, on a bike as much as in a car (if not more so). Whilst I don't particularly like driving, equally it doesn't stress me these days (in fact I find a packed, noisy train more stressful as my autistic senses struggle with that much people close by).

I have to admit I wish the "defensive" approach was taught more widely- and that black box telemetrics were more common (compulsory?).

TPO
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:..
I was overtaken by hundreds of people today, having had to do a long journey of 200+ miles. I can tell you that only two overtaking drivers caused me any issues, and those issues were not being able to pull out into lane 2 because they weren't thinking ahead.

Overtaken by hundreds
Were they all inside the maximum speed limit?
Was there no incident of following too closely?
Not being able to pull out into lane two? Obviously they were following too closely
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:
am planning my retirement now, without a car, in a small town with trams :wink:

When you find such a place, let me know.

Fleetwood fits the description, but it is not the one I had in mind
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The RoSPA based road safety course I went on at 17 was based on hazard awareness and the police driving system (7 point actions not 3 - mirror signal manoeuvre that is). Taught be ex police advanced driving instructor (police pursuit and basic driving).

It was a mix of classroom and practical car based. One thing I half remember was a poem based around a guy who drove believing he had the right if way until one day he took his right of way but it killed him. The point being that you only have right of way if it's safe to take it. If not then let the other user past. Better to get home late than die or be in an accident. Could the Duke have considered this option?