Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Duke In Rollover

Postby Tangled Metal » 29 Jan 2019, 8:44am

BTW I saw a front page of a news rag saying the Duke was now truly sorry over the accident. Is that significant? Has he been tipped off that he might be prosecuted? Why the change in attitude?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Jan 2019, 8:44am

brynpoeth wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:..
I was overtaken by hundreds of people today, having had to do a long journey of 200+ miles. I can tell you that only two overtaking drivers caused me any issues, and those issues were not being able to pull out into lane 2 because they weren't thinking ahead.

Overtaken by hundreds
Were they all inside the maximum speed limit?
Was there no incident of following too closely?
Not being able to pull out into lane two? Obviously they were following too closely

I don't know, I wasn't able to measure so any view would be uninformed. There was no behaviour/speed which caused me concern on my journey.
No, not that I can remember. I find with proper lane discipline that doesn't happen, or if it does, the individual comes past at the first opportunity.
Pardon? No, they overtook without regard to my closing speed to the vehicle ahead, so I had to slow and wait. A minor inconvenience, but as I say, only a couple of occasions I can recall in perhaps 5 hours driving.

A remarkably stress free day's travel on an otherwise stressful day.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 29 Jan 2019, 8:52am

On the matter of slowing down when tailgated, it's something to be done with circumspection because it risks being considered provocative. On the matter of facilitating overtaking, we did have a member who was a regular caravan-tower who posted that the police in some parts of the country would prosecute slow drivers for inconsiderate driving if they ignored three opportunities to pull over to allow overtaking.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jan 2019, 8:54am

BTW I saw a front page of a news rag saying the Duke was now truly sorry over the accident. Is that significant? Has he been tipped off that he might be prosecuted? Why the change in attitude?

We will never know. But it is normal advice to say nothing following an accident apart from exchange of details so as not to muddy the legal waters.

The Duke's letter was apparently dated 21/01 but not publicised until the weekend, presumably to enable the recipient to receive it. I am no ardent monarchist but these ladies appear to have been milking this situation.
John

Cycling and recycling

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Jan 2019, 9:08am

Oldjohnw wrote:

We will never know. But it is normal advice to say nothing following an accident apart from exchange of details so as not to muddy the legal waters.

The Duke's letter was apparently dated 21/01 but not publicised until the weekend, presumably to enable the recipient to receive it. I am no ardent monarchist but these ladies appear to have been milking this situation.

Well, one of the two, I think. I noticed she had been 'styled' for her appearance with the DofE's letter :D

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Feb 2019, 6:57pm

He has voluntarily surrendered his licence

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 9 Feb 2019, 7:59pm

Bonefishblues wrote:He has voluntarily surrendered his licence

I doubt it was "voluntarily " since he was seen driving a few days later? It was that or be prosecuted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 9 Feb 2019, 8:57pm

Speculation time.

I doubt if Lizzie has the bottle to confront PtG directly. Possibly one of his offspring? My guess is, P. Anne. She's probably the most direct talker with the sharpest tongue, of the four... and she knows what it feels like to fall foul of the Plod.
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 Feb 2019, 8:59pm

mercalia wrote:

I doubt it was "voluntarily " since he was seen driving a few days later? It was that or be prosecuted?

I don't understand your post.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 9 Feb 2019, 9:18pm

Clearly someone who doesn’t appreciate the ability to learn or change ones opinion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 9 Feb 2019, 9:22pm

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

If you read the link you'll see this bit.

Norfolk Police confirmed that the duke had surrendered his licence to officers and it would now be returned to the DVLA.

If you surrender your licence voluntarily surely you follow guidance on how to do this by returning it directly to DVLA. To surrender to police implies legal advice to do so to avoid prosecution. Speculation but gov.co.uk page gives you instructions on what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/giving-up-your-driving-licence

When you decide to stop driving or are advised by your doctor to stop you’ll need to tell DVLA and send them your licence.

Car or motorcycle licences
Download the declaration of voluntary surrender and send it to DVLA with your driving licence. The address is on the form.

No mention of police.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 9 Feb 2019, 10:27pm

Hi,
Saving grace was that no one died or seriously injured.
Maybe a loop hole that needs closing along with anyone who never was fit enough, through lets say attitude to drive?
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 9 Feb 2019, 10:30pm

If only old codgers would surrender their right to vote that could have prevented a huge car crash.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2019, 12:30am

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

If you read the link you'll see this bit.

Norfolk Police confirmed that the duke had surrendered his licence to officers and it would now be returned to the DVLA.

If you surrender your licence voluntarily surely you follow guidance on how to do this by returning it directly to DVLA. To surrender to police implies legal advice to do so to avoid prosecution. Speculation but gov.co.uk page gives you instructions on what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/giving-up-your-driving-licence

When you decide to stop driving or are advised by your doctor to stop you’ll need to tell DVLA and send them your licence.

Car or motorcycle licences
Download the declaration of voluntary surrender and send it to DVLA with your driving licence. The address is on the form.

No mention of police.

That doesn't answer anything about mercalia's post.
Old man causes car crash,realises he's probably not fit to drive any longer and surrenders his licence.I don't see the connection with him photographed two days after the crash without seatbelt and now some two weeks later him handing in his licence.
I say good for him handing in the licence and realising he's not upto driving though sorry it caused a crash for him to realise it.
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2019, 12:45am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Saving grace was that no one died or seriously injured.

Agreed.
Maybe a loop hole that needs closing along with anyone who never was fit enough, through lets say attitude to drive?

Maybe people who cause serious crashes or collect 9 or more points on there licences,whatever their age,should be assessed by a driving test inspector(at the drivers expense)as to whether they're fit to drive and not left to decide for themselves.
In the case of the DofE he's realised he's not upto to driving safely on UK roads,which is a good and honourable thing IMO.
However in the case of the driver cited in this thread:- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128015 after being banned twice in 5 years gets his licence back again in 18months with no questions asked and no proof of his safe driving ability needed be shown,before he's allowed to drive again.
The law is way too lenient on unsafe drivers IMO
I cycle therefore I am.