Bansky

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Bansky

Post by mercalia »

what do you make of this guys work. Not as art but the way of it?

So a garage owner is now £100,000+ better off. While Bansky presumably dont get a penny of it. A very strange fellow - unless Bansky is really Blair or Cameron who can aford to give money away. One example was a heartwarming example where a boys club got a bansky on its wall that was sold and allowed the club to be refurbished.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46910294
Cugel

Re: Bansky

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:what do you make of this guys work. Not as art but the way of it?

So a garage owner is now £100,000+ better off. While Bansky presumably dont get a penny of it. A very strange fellow - unless Bansky is really Blair or Cameron who can aford to give money away. One example was a heartwarming example where a boys club got a bansky on its wall that was sold and allowed the club to be refurbished.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46910294

In Modern Blighty, as well as elsewhere, the strange notion that the only value is cash value has taken root. I blame Ronald Reagan!

It is possible to create abd appreciate values other than ones made of filthy lucre. One merely has to uninstall the accountancy program from one's wetware - the accountancy program installed by a conspiracy of capitalist gharks some decades ago and now updated every day (sometimes hourly) by the various subliminal downloads contained in adverts, the news and several other delivery channels.

Of the hundred value schemes and delivery substrates available to we humans, there are a number that have to do with the emotional and intellectual rewards emanating from various kinds of art and artifacts. Revelatory scenes painted to juxtapose things already juxtaposed in reality but normally viewed as very different things (such as the childish joy in snow and the child-killing pollution of industrial fallout from modern "conveniences") is one small revelation that induces a certain emotional and intellectual response that is valuable - perhaps valuable in several ways.

Even the cash-mad can benefit it seems; although one must be wary of sudden large cash windfalls as they can induce a sudden craving for all sorts of other values that suddenly become possible, such as the pleasures of buying all kinds of consumer non-durables that are addictive and require cash reinforcements on a regular basis.

Cugel, currently valuing the sight of red kites circling in a thermal above the Teifi flood plain.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

I'd laugh myself silly if it was found not to be Bansky at all!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Why the special protection, and never ending publicity.

It must be mates and or political.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote: ......In Modern Blighty, as well as elsewhere, the strange notion that the only value is cash value has taken root......

The lunacy of it :?

Message to the OP.It's Banksy,gettit?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Did anyone see the program about where Bansky hangs out on TV?
I think it was Israel or someplace hot like that?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of people went to Port Talbot to see it, doubtless many drove over the Severn without paying, -99
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cours

Post by Cours »

Banksy can nip round and paint my garden shed anyday.
I'll even get the good porcelain out. I'll even break open a bottle of local blow your head off cider!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of people went to Port Talbot to see it...

I live within a mile of it and just can't be bothered. However, I did take my daughter to the Banksy exhibition in Bristol a few years ago and quite enjoyed it.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I rate Banksy, Dismaland was a brilliant commentary and his painting skills are good. Nice lift for Port Talbot. A brilliant artist whose art says something often profound and entertaining.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:I rate Banksy, Dismaland was a brilliant commentary and his painting skills are good. Nice lift for Port Talbot. A brilliant artist whose art says something often profound and entertaining.

Al

Quite right!
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:I rate Banksy, Dismaland was a brilliant commentary and his painting skills are good. Nice lift for Port Talbot. A brilliant artist whose art says something often profound and entertaining.

Al

So why the big secret?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Al

So why the big secret?

It's part of the show,he doesn't want to be known as anyone else.
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Al

So why the big secret?

Do you mean the the attempt by the artist to remain something of an unknown as a personality? If so ....

Our society is obsessed with celebrity, to the point that the artistic outputs of a celebrity are only considered as fascinating gestures of the celebrity-commodity itself, rather than artistic productions in themselves. The productions of, for example, a painting or novel or "installation" are now viewed mostly because of their association with a celebrity rather than because they have something illuminating to impart. Much "art" is nothing but the latest twitch of a celebrity constructing their next pay packet.

Banksy attempted to hide his personality from the usual scrutiny (as well as his personal means of living from the art market) perhaps because he wanted his art to be considered for itself rather than as a mere efflorescence of a celebrity-personality or as a means to get a big wodge of cash for himself. Sadly, he has failed to avoid celebrity since the celebrity-construction machine of the mass media can turn anything into celebrity-pap, even if the details of a human personality that are usually assembled then dissected as part of the mob-feast on such fodder are lacking.

So, Banksy art is now "a sensation" just as much (or perhaps more) because it was Banksy wot done it rather than because of any revelatory or transformative meaning within the art itself. ..... Although Banksy art still contains plenty that reveals and transforms the meaning of everyday tropes and commonplace understandings.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of people went to Port Talbot to see it, doubtless many drove over the Severn without paying, -99

Yes Severn Bridge tolls have been abolished. Just what is your point?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker