Bansky

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Bansky

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think history will look kindly on Brer Banksy in a way that it mightn't on Damien Hurst.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 19 Jan 2019, 9:02am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think history will look kindly on Brer Banksy in a way that it mightn't on Damian Hurst.

Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of people went to Port Talbot to see it, doubtless many drove over the Severn without paying, -99

Yes Severn Bridge tolls have been abolished. Just what is your point?

My point is generation of motron traffic, just for fun, I knew the charges had been abolished, driving just became even less unattractive :(
One can stay at home and look at the thing on the www, Port Talbot has a good train service if one really must see the garage

Looking out for graffiti when cycling today

Apparently the artist is anonymous, one wonders why the media have not unmasked her. My hunch is that she posts regularly on these fora :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:I rate Banksy, Dismaland was a brilliant commentary and his painting skills are good. Nice lift for Port Talbot. A brilliant artist whose art says something often profound and entertaining.

Al

So why the big secret?

Do you mean the the attempt by the artist to remain something of an unknown as a personality? If so ....

Our society is obsessed with celebrity, to the point that the artistic outputs of a celebrity are only considered as fascinating gestures of the celebrity-commodity itself, rather than artistic productions in themselves. The productions of, for example, a painting or novel or "installation" are now viewed mostly because of their association with a celebrity rather than because they have something illuminating to impart. Much "art" is nothing but the latest twitch of a celebrity constructing their next pay packet.

Banksy attempted to hide his personality from the usual scrutiny (as well as his personal means of living from the art market) perhaps because he wanted his art to be considered for itself rather than as a mere efflorescence of a celebrity-personality or as a means to get a big wodge of cash for himself. Sadly, he has failed to avoid celebrity since the celebrity-construction machine of the mass media can turn anything into celebrity-pap, even if the details of a human personality that are usually assembled then dissected as part of the mob-feast on such fodder are lacking.

So, Banksy art is now "a sensation" just as much (or perhaps more) because it was Banksy wot done it rather than because of any revelatory or transformative meaning within the art itself. ..... Although Banksy art still contains plenty that reveals and transforms the meaning of everyday tropes and commonplace understandings.

Cugel

Maybe but more likely because what he is doing is actually criminal damage - no more legal than this sort of stuff. Whether or not it should be illegal is a different matter entirely but because it is graffiti artists have a long tradition of anonymity.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Once had an interesting conversation about when Vandalism becomes history and/ or art

We were in a Cathedral which had an effigy which was heavily scratched with names. Pure vandalism, but the particular names proved attendance by certain historical figures and had a historical value.

The problem is where to draw the line

There is also an issue with the "Ownership" of a Banksy where they have been stolen, multiple claims of ownership, and a responsibility to maintain.

Michael Sheen contributed for this one to be protected and for security guards, but the owner has been under a lot of stress over the work
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It is also interesting how different cities view it as part of their culture. Rome, Lisbon, Reykjavik all have a thriving graffiti culture, which is part of the tourist structure and have organised tours.

Of course there is still the subtle line between artistic work and simple "tagging" or writing obscenities
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:I rate Banksy, Dismaland was a brilliant commentary and his painting skills are good. Nice lift for Port Talbot. A brilliant artist whose art says something often profound and entertaining.

Al

So why the big secret?

Like so many artists his incognito stance adds a bit of mystery. I quite like it. I always thought Grayson Perry was a bit offputting but after seeing what he did at the RA it changed my mind...pure talent. Other colourful artist characters - Salvador Dali, his reflective painting of Jesus, genius. Picasso Gernika, Hockneys colour pallette. I think Banksy fits right in there. Tracy Emin I dont get at all? I always ask myself how does it make you feel, with Banksy its usually amused whilst getting a strong message, in that sense his art is very persuasive.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:It is also interesting how different cities view it as part of their culture. Rome, Lisbon, Reykjavik all have a thriving graffiti culture, which is part of the tourist structure and have organised tours.

Of course there is still the subtle line between artistic work and simple "tagging" or writing obscenities

very nice
pwa

Post by pwa »

Spinners wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of people went to Port Talbot to see it...

I live within a mile of it and just can't be bothered. However, I did take my daughter to the Banksy exhibition in Bristol a few years ago and quite enjoyed it.

I was within a couple of hundred metres of it a few weeks back on business, on Caradog St, and couldn't be bothered. A local told me they were having parking issues with all the visitors.

Banksy is a stealth cartoonist. It's a good gimmick. I'm sure a lot of people in the media know who he is but keep the secret to sustain the story.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:Once had an interesting conversation about when Vandalism becomes history and/ or art

We were in a Cathedral which had an effigy which was heavily scratched with names. Pure vandalism, but the particular names proved attendance by certain historical figures and had a historical value.

There is also an issue with the "Ownership" of a Banksy where they have been stolen, multiple claims of ownership, and a responsibility to maintain.

Michael Sheen contributed for this one to be protected and for security guards, but the owner has been under a lot of stress over the work

Like this in the old schoolroom at the King's School. The teenage Newton was probably chastised for carving his name on the window sill but now it's carefully preserved.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought it was something to do with this:

Team Sky have accused Bernard Hinault, the five-time Tour de France champion, of making "irresponsible" and "uneducated" comments after the Frenchman suggested the peloton go on strike if Chris Froome rides in next month’s edition of the race. (My emphasis.)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... ance-says/
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Once had an interesting conversation about when Vandalism becomes history and/ or art

Like this in the old schoolroom at the King's School. The teenage Newton was probably chastised for carving his name on the window sill but now it's carefully preserved.

Exactly what I meant......