What kind of country have we become

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

What kind of country have we become

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Re: What kind of country have we become

Post by mercalia »

well rules are rules? once made hard to change? how much room for flexibility is there & by whom? The couple should have taken UK citizen ship so it is their fault they are in this predicament? "they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years," I wonder what that means? having our cake and eat it? Its all very very sad though
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jan 2019, 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well rules are rules? once made hard to change? how much room for flexibility is there & by whom? The couple should have taken UK citizen ship so it is their fault they are in this predicament? "they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years," I wonder what that means? having our cake and eat it?

You're all heart......
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like they have been abusing the system "Since April 2000, Mr Saberi and Ms Habibimarand have held several visitors visas." You have to ask yourself why they didnt seek a more permanant soln, most forward looking people with family here would have done so? so some thing dont seem right here.

"John Vassiliou, a partner at McGill & Co Solicitors who are handling their case, said it has become "impossible" for anyone to bring parents into the UK permanently." and quite right too. Let the UK look after some other countries oaps
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jan 2019, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

A country 'so bad' that, every day it seems, scores of migrants risk their lives in a desperate attempt to reach our shores (rather than seek asylum elsewhere in Europe).

I'd love to see our politicians have the guts and honesty to ask themselves why that should be the case.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

well rules are rules? once made hard to change? how much room for flexibility is there & by whom? The couple should have taken UK citizen ship so it is their fault they are in this predicament? "they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years,"

Equally. The British Government knew they were here next were quite happy to take their taxes.
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Spinners wrote:A country 'so bad' that, every day it seems, scores of migrants risk their lives in a desperate attempt to reach our shores (rather than seek asylum elsewhere in Europe).

I'd love to see our politicians have the guts and honesty to ask themselves why that should be the case.

Our Home Secretary did. It didn’t go down well.
pwa

Post by pwa »

They ought to be allowed to stay. The Home Office needs to get its act together. If they should not have come over here in the first place that should have been dealt with 30 or 40 years ago. It is too late now.

I'm in favour of strict migration policies in general, but once people have established their lives here it is too late to undo it and deport them. The Home Office should let this go.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
well rules are rules? once made hard to change? how much room for flexibility is there & by whom? The couple should have taken UK citizen ship so it is their fault they are in this predicament? "they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years,"

Equally. The British Government knew they were here next were quite happy to take their taxes.

well we dont know that - it seems they spent time here and in Iran. how much here? working? The only taxes they might have paid were council and vat? seems like they bought the flat like many would do as a holiday/2nd home?

SO has some thing changed re visitors visas cant they continue to get them?

Though by no means comparable this reminds me of Biggs giving himself up as he had run out of money and being old & ill needed free NHS treatment
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jan 2019, 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

well we dont know that - it seems they spent time here and in Iran. how much here? working? The only taxes they might have paid were council and vat? seems like they bought the flat like many would do as a holiday/2nd home?

And you know this,how?
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

And you know this,how?

"While they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years, they never sought UK citizenship." I assume that means not just in the CITY but the UK? other wise the ref to not getting UK citizenship dont make sense?

x has lived in Cornwall on and off for the last 40 years but never sought uk citizenship (oh he lives in London mostly :roll: )
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jan 2019, 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:

I believe it's termed as a "climate of hostility" toward immigrants

Though by no means comparable this reminds me of Biggs giving himself up as he had run out of money and being old & ill needed free NHS treatment

Then why mention it?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

And you know this,how?

"While they have lived in the city on and off for 40 years, they never sought UK citizenship." I assume that means not just in the CITY but the UK? other wise the ref to not getting UK citizenship dont make sense?

You assume a lot.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

I believe it's termed as a "climate of hostility" toward immigrants

Then why mention it?

because both cases have the same element of I suspect of needing the NHS
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whatever the exact details of this case, the Home Office has a pretty terrible track record. Mrs May's 'hostile environment ' has caused appallng miscarriages of justice, cf the Windrush scandal.
John