What kind of country have we become

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: What kind of country have we become

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:Without question, there is a hardcore of unemployment in the UK that the DWP simply give up on. Hence my 2% threshold down from the current figure of about 4.5%.

In mentioning that we have the lowest unemployment rate for 25 years reohn2 is almost like a Government spokesman. Everyone knows the number of people in work is stuffed full of people in part-time jobs and crap jobs paying minimum wage. On the 'Indeed' jobsite I recently came across a job paying £8 an hour...

and they were asking for a graduate.

You may find this interesting

[youtube]bqo-7rtGwOU[/youtube]

one thing not dealt with where these migrant( families ) are living - the school with 60 non english speaking children, where are those ( low paid) families living? A report indicated that if there was an issue it was about social housing uptake. The guy introducing the programme would do well to have a report on that? rather than trot out some overweight lazy dolers

One interesting point I remember it was the BBC that pointed out the above issue, but when it came to Guardian they completely ignored it. Says some thing about Guardian bias?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:Without question, there is a hardcore of unemployment in the UK that the DWP simply give up on. Hence my 2% threshold down from the current figure of about 4.5%.

In mentioning that we have the lowest unemployment rate for 25 years reohn2 is almost like a Government spokesman. Everyone knows the number of people in work is stuffed full of people in part-time jobs and crap jobs paying minimum wage. On the 'Indeed' jobsite I recently came across a job paying £8 an hour...

and they were asking for a graduate.

one thing not dealt with where these migrant( families ) are living - the school with 60 non english speaking children, where are those ( low paid) families living? A report indicated that if there was an issue it was about social housing uptake. The guy introducing the programme would do well to have a report on that? rather than trot out some overweight lazy dolers

One interesting point I remember it was the BBC that pointed out the above issue, but when it came to Guardian they completely ignored it. Says some thing about Guardian bias?

There's a large rental market in Wisbech so most will be living in rented properties mostly private but some in social housing. What relevance has housing to the jobs those people are doing? That program was made by the BBC.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

There's a large rental market in Wisbech so most will be living in rented properties mostly private but some in social housing. What relevance has housing to the jobs those people are doing? That program was made by the BBC.

if they are low paid jobs and with families they go to the top of the social housing waiting list.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

if they are low paid jobs and with families they go to the top of the social housing waiting list.

There's no such thing as a social housing waiting list in Wisbech. Properties are allocated through a CBL system where prospective tenants "bid" for properties they like the look of. They are allocated points and low income is one thing that helps get points as is having children. What is your point?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Well I hope they have properties for the 39 that have landed in kent in the last two days and they are still looking for another boat
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yakdiver wrote:Well I hope they have properties for the 39 that have landed in kent in the last two days and they are still looking for another boat

Those are asylum seekers,a completely different subject altogether.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

reohn2 wrote:After WW2 the Windrush generation and others,(a lot from the Indian sub continent)that this PM is doing her best to expel from the country with her 'climate of hostility' program,came here from Common Wealth countries to build up the country in a time of need.

For example Jamaica until 1962 was a British Colony (from 1655), so Jamaicans (Trinidadians, Tobagons, Barbadians) are/were British Citizens and their children are and rightly so; they were invited here in the postwar period and the Windrush (originally a German ship) was sent to collect them - a simplistic but valid anaology is that those people that came to the UK were coming from an offshore island (like the Isle of Wight), so as British as an Isle of Wighter...

Many of the men were war veterans, they fought (and many died) for us in WW2.

Our totally incompetent Prime Minister and former Home Secretary is the architect of the Hostile Environment and she has the gall to talk about democracy.

John.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:.......Our totally incompetent Prime Minister and former Home Secretary is the architect of the Hostile Environment and she has the gall to talk about democracy.

John.

Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Immigration control is a difficult subject for anyone with an ounce of feeling because unless you want completely free access for anyone and everyone, you end up having to draw a line somewhere and it will leave some people having the door shut in their face. The only question is where you draw the line.

I suggest that most reasonable people would take the view that one factor in judging whether someone who is already in the UK should be allowed to stay is how long they have already been here, how well established they are, and how strong their ties are to others with a right to be here.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

While sufficient housing is clearly a big issue, (in my part of the world a great many houses are second homes) it would seem that in Wales, at least, there are plenty of jobs available in the NHS that are increasingly hard to fill.
Welsh news reports that costs for locum and temp staff are rising steeply.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46949253

It really doesn't make much economic sense does it? (Perhaps that should read ANY economic sense?)

Additionally please let us not confuse asylum seekers with EU citizens, it is a distinction that is too often blurred in the minds of the readers of the right wing press.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:While sufficient housing is clearly a big issue, (in my part of the world a great many houses are second homes) it would seem that in Wales, at least, there are plenty of jobs available in the NHS that are increasingly hard to fill.
Welsh news reports that costs for locum and temp staff are rising steeply.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46949253

It really doesn't make much economic sense does it? (Perhaps that should read ANY economic sense?)

Additionally please let us not confuse asylum seekers with EU citizens, it is a distinction that is too often blurred in the minds of the readers of the right wing press.

My son is training to be a nurse in Wales, and he is getting a minimum of financial help to do that. To make ends meet he is working long hours in the care industry, as well as being propped up by the Bank of Mum and Dad. If government really wanted to fill NHS vacancies with home grown talent they would make it easier for people to get training.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

There's no such thing as a social housing waiting list in Wisbech. Properties are allocated through a CBL system where prospective tenants "bid" for properties they like the look of. They are allocated points and low income is one thing that helps get points as is having children. What is your point?

thats a waiting list in my books just not a first in first out one. you have to sign up to it and you have a higher chance of getting a property the more points you have, which low paid migrants with children will have over single UK citizens low paid or married with no children.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

thats a waiting list in my books just not a first in first out one. you have to sign up to it and you have a higher chance of getting a property the more points you have, which low paid migrants with children will have over single UK citizens low paid or married with no children.

It may be a waiting list in your book but it isn't in reality which is what counts. It's housing need determined by a points system which gains people a property. I fail to see how nationality can effect a person's housing need? Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Single people of any nationality usually have great difficulty in gettings social housing unless they're of an age where they can go into property reserved for over 55s.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

It may be a waiting list in your book but it isn't in reality which is what counts. It's housing need determined by a points system which gains people a property. I fail to see how nationality can effect a person's housing need? Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Single people of any nationality usually have great difficulty in gettings social housing unless they're of an age where they can go into property reserved for over 55s.

Yeah, those gypsies, theyre used to living in caravans aren't they? Houses, shelter, warmth?! Whatever basic human need will they ask for next!? :roll:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Yeah, those gypsies, theyre used to living in caravans aren't they? Houses, shelter, warmth?! Whatever basic human need will they ask for next!? :roll:

Many of the sort of people who support Brexit are really prejudiced against what they call Pikeys - Gypsies, Roma Travellers etc. It shows they're broad minded though and are not just prejudiced against migrants from eastern Europe, people they call Libtards, people they call re-moaners and people they call snowflakes.

The biggest problem for gypsies or travellers in Britain is they have few places where they can legally stop. Councils are meant to provide stopping sites but few provide an adequate number of stopping places but few do. Whenever a new site is proposed there's always a lot of opposition - much based on prejudice coming from the small minded.