Mobile / Car Key Faraday Cage Bag?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Mobile / Car Key Faraday Cage Bag?

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If anyone wants any info on me, they only have to ask. I have nothing whatsoever to hide, and THAT is the best way to be.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
If anyone wants any info on me, they only have to ask. I have nothing whatsoever to hide, and THAT is the best way to be.

Either you have lived the life of the saints, or you are kidding yourself. IME everyone has something to hide. Think back over your life, is there something you might have done (or neglected to do) or had done to you which brings you shame? Most people don't have to think that hard or far back.

Is it something that if others found out about, they might not like you very much afterwards? Or might not think of you in the same light? Now imagine this secret being stolen from you and stored somewhere, shared and 'saved up' if you like, to be used against you at a later date. It's already happened in China, they call it Social Credit scoring.

Score badly on it, for something you've done or said (or written online), or maybe paid a bill a week late, and you might find yourself denied access to housing, your kids access to a good school or university, adequate health care.. It really is that nasty. And it's coming to a government near you. Some of the punishments include: a ban on plane ticket buying, taking your dog away, shaming on public forums, inability to book a hotel, being demoted at work. And that's just for starters.

I don't think anyone is in the fortunate position to be without, or have been subject to sin. This mantra 'I have nothing to hide, what have I got to worry about' is a dangerous one. Its a constructed idea, fed to us through the media, by those that would take away any motion of privacy and lead us down a rosy road to a privacy hell.

You might think you don't have anything to hide, but I beg to differ. You definitely have something to sell. Your current location, where you'll be next Saturday morning, your online shopping habits, your friends, where you go with them, your online reviews, what mobile service providers you use, what websites you visit, which youtube videos you watch ect ect. It all has monetary value.

You currently give all this valuable information away for free. What if, in return for this information the government ordered the big 4 to top up your pension from their gargantuan profits to the tune of £200 a month (the estimated advertising, sales and marketing data value of that information)? Would you be so free and easy with access to it if the cheque didn't come in the post one fine day? Even store cards give you monetary rewards, and that information is much less valuable.

We are being led down a path willingly, like digital idiots. There's probably only a small window of opportunity to stop it, and make those who profit from us accountable. Google et al think they are more powerful than national governments. They're probably justified. They only think like that because we the sheeple give them free access to every online moment of our lives in return for their mostly useless baubles.

We're like the native Indians giving away our birth rights for a couple of buttons. There's a small window of opportunity to reverse this 1984 philosophy, but it's closing fast
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well I went up town on Saturday, used my contactless card on the bus and in the shops, ended up in the Wetherspoons and used the app for table service. It's all in the emails what I ordered.......4 Abbot ales for me and 2 pints of Guinness for the Mrs!! Doesn't worry me in the slightest who knows.
What's more scary is when we first had a landline phone back in the early seventies, when it rang............who was calling and who did they want to speak to!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cours wrote:
Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Either you have lived the life of the saints, or you are kidding yourself. IME everyone has something to hide. Think back over your life, is there something you might have done (or neglected to do) or had done to you which brings you shame? Most people don't have to think that hard or far back.

No kidding at all.
I'm no saint, but everybody knows it. Does it matter? No shame from me.
Not to me it doesn't. Methinks you are paranoid.

Have you ever been positively vetted?
I have, and been referees for others. DNSy are very effective people indeed. (Department of Naval Security).

Paranoia is the issue for you ................. but not for me, coz I'm not. I'm an open book.
Mick F. Cornwall
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

What is like to live in an open digital prison, several European countries are eyeing this 'advance' with envy:

[youtube]eViswN602_k[/youtube]
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I have plenty to hide. I even have things in my own trousers that I prefer to hide.

I'm happy for my circle of acquaintances to know if my house is empty for a few hours at 25 o'clock every Thursday, but I'd rather not share that information with every temp who does data-processing for my internet service provider. Their office might be near my house, and so might the pub where some of those temps drown their sorrows after being laid off.

Cours referred to people in China being punished for certain behaviours. There have been times and places where "inappropriate behaviour" included having the wrong ancestors, or voting for the wrong party, or being gay, or Christian, or atheist. Personally I'd much rather anyone in any "group" were free to shout it from the house-tops but that is not the reality for a lot of people. I'd rather not wait until the government announces plans to become totalitarian, before making privacy easy for those that want it.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

philvantwo wrote:Well I went up town on Saturday, used my contactless card on the bus and in the shops, ended up in the Wetherspoons and used the app for table service. It's all in the emails what I ordered.......4 Abbot ales for me and 2 pints of Guinness for the Mrs!! Doesn't worry me in the slightest who knows.
What's more scary is when we first had a landline phone back in the early seventies, when it rang............who was calling and who did they want to speak to!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What if you got the bus, contactless paid, and got chatting to a neighbour and went two stops past your destination? Facial recognition picks you up and notes you've just broken the law?

Or you go to the pub, bump into someone knock over their pint and a minor fracas ensues? Manager called, the whole incident recorded and credited negatively against you on your Social score?

You might find yourself banned from public transport for a year, or your card refused in restaurants because you're a perceived 'trouble maker'.

In fact any permutations of digital payments /human interaction/mobile use could put your Social Credit at risk. 3 million Chinese have been denied the right to buy airline tickets or fast trains for less. Dropping litter for example can see your travel ability severely restricted.

Can you see where this is going? First they make it seem that privacy is a silly idea, in fact it's probably dangerous, and them they strip it from you. Making it all the easier to enforce the totalitarian digital surveillance state described in he above documentary. It's really way past time to start complaining and protesting.

Privacy is like Dignity - once it's taken from you it's nigh on impossible to get it back.

In case you can't imagine a version of this coming to Britain, just imagine if you will Rees Mogg or worse Bojoes in charge of the defence and security budget.

Wouldn't think twice, would they?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently the Stingray (a lawful intercept) is old hat. Lots of advances since then. Thing is to avoid becoming ' a person of interest' . Best way to do that is avoid being a blabbermouth on public internet forums. AI is a great tool to identify such folk who may pose a security risk. :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think we need a special section for all the conspiracy nonsense.
(Mind you I never realised that targeted ad's would turn us into China! Who'd have thunked it...)

As for dropping litter, imo never mind removing freedoms, I think snipers on the tops of buildings are needed.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Canuk wrote:
paddler wrote:
Canuk wrote:10 years ago these kids/hackers would have been satisfied going round their mates house and stealing next doors WiFi password, maybe downloading embarrassing intimate photos. Not now, the kit is widely available to steal EVERYTHING, for cheap.. And they don't do it for fun anymore. They'll happily trade your browser usage/passwords/bank log in with any two bit organised criminal willing to pay beer money for it.

Even your old Nokia is vulnerable. The only 'safe' phone to have is either a landline (still hackable) or put your phone in a Faraday box /bag like the above when you're not using it/overnight. Talking to some colleagues this afternoon over a nice 2hr lunch (thanks French government!) from what they've researched even a phone with a battery removed is indeed vulnerable, although the powers that be will be loathe to tell you anything that might contradict that . Two things nation States hate: End to end encryption, and an informed and technology aware population.

Stay informed.

Can a landline be hacked then?

Dave

Landlines have been subject to electronic eavesdropping since the 50's. More recently analogue and digital cordless phones attached to landlines have been vulnerable to attack. Most analogue cordless phones can be hacked with a simple domestic radio. As for hacking DECT digital cordless, I could point you in the direction of where to buy the hardware to do so, but that would be reckless!

https://www.lifewire.com/is-your-cordle ... ed-2487490

I get it about cordless phones etc, but not sure what you mean about hacking landlines - unless it's security forces getting warrants to listen in exchanges?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Apparently the Stingray (a lawful intercept) is old hat. Lots of advances since then. Thing is to avoid becoming ' a person of interest' . Best way to do that is avoid being a blabbermouth on public internet forums. AI is a great tool to identify such folk who may pose a security risk. :wink:

Al

You missed the point. It isn't a question of whether it's old hat or lawful or even whether it's use in the UK has legal restrictions and implications.

The point is:

OMG! THEY CAN INTERCEPT OUR PHONE TRANSMISSIONS! CHINA PEOPLE, CHINA! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!.

That's the point.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

al_yrpal wrote:Apparently the Stingray (a lawful intercept) is old hat. Lots of advances since then. Thing is to avoid becoming ' a person of interest' . Best way to do that is avoid being a blabbermouth on public internet forums. AI is a great tool to identify such folk who may pose a security risk. :wink:

Al

I say this quite earnestly to both the above:

And the best way to sign away any rights to privacy and a private life are to ignore that the above exists and can be used against anyone at any time. Blabbering idiot or not. The mass collection of data is a fact, its only a conspiracy in your head. Once you start joining up the dots with these fearsome surveillance tools up, and then have them overseen by fast learning AI, like it says on the video 'you won't be able to take a step outside without being watched'. And that's not a targeted response,that's universal. You get the democracy you deserve. European agencies are very interested in this technology. Huawei is producing over a million Facial Recognition AI enhanced units a week. That's not for local consumption, its export.

If you are prepared to 'put up and shut up' to enhance your Social Credit (when it inevitably comes), you're just as guilty as those who impose it upon you, by force.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I remember visiting the surveillance room of a London borough in 2006. There was a bank of 40 CCTV monitors with four uniformed staff operating the cameras with joysticks. I was appalled because I didnt realise the scale of it or that it was lawful. I also attended the Security Exbition as an exhibitor at the NEC. The stuff on display was mind boggling. The UK is a world leader in this technology with a head start from NI.

As Mick says whether we like it or not we are all an open book. The thing to avoid is becoming a person of interest...and.. keeping passwords etc secure from criminals.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

al_yrpal wrote:I remember visiting the surveillance room of a London borough in 2006. There was a bank of 40 CCTV monitors with four uniformed staff operating the cameras with joysticks. I was appalled because I didnt realise the scale of it or that it was lawful. I also attended the Security Exbition as an exhibitor at the NEC. The stuff on display was mind boggling. The UK is a world leader in this technology with a head start from NI.

As Mick says whether we like it or not we are all an open book. The thing to avoid is becoming a person of interest...and.. keeping passwords etc secure from criminals.

Al

And there's my point perfectly illustrated. 13 years ago there were indeed little grey men in uniform watching over those 40 CCTV cameras. The number of targets they could effectively follow was probably half a dozen.

13 years later, with tens of thousands of face recognition AI enabled devices human intervention (at that level at any rate is not required). Everyone is now a person of interest. Because the rules of engagement and the sophistication they now exists can target even the most minor of misdemeanours. Seat belts, valid insurance, talking/texting while driving are all monitored by CCTV and speed cams, not by human beings, but by the technology illustrated in the above video (if you even bothered to watch it).

It doesn't require human intervention to garner evidence on hundreds of thousands of 'targets' simultaneously. It is the Chinese governments stated aim to monitor everyone, all of the time. And the instant an algorithm detects even the slightest aberration (like buying spirits perhaps instead of beer) youre flagged up as a threat.
My point being that governments and law enforcement will be using this meta data not to prevent crime, but to predict who might commit a crime in the future. By rating the entire population on a Social Credit score they are halfway there. Your example of 4 guys in a room shook you as regards privacy. This tech is headed our way, Huawei aren't making a million units a week to give away with Happy Meals.

By pretending it doesn't exist, or imagining its for the few and not the many you are buying into the 'If you've got nothing to hide' trope, prattled out by just about every Home Secretary that I can remember. Everyone has something they'd rather the state or their neighbours didn't know. And now they have the means not only to detect it, surveil it, store it and have all that analysed by fast learning AI, they also have the means to calculate what kind of a threat you pose, rate it and soon score you against others. Enjoy the freedom you now have to post what you think /like /hate on free to use forums. It won't last long.

Like I said up thread, you get the democracy you deserve.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Here is an interesting test if you have a smartphone you dont use much
charge it up fully then every day or so look at the battery level to see how fast it is draining. I wouldnt have thought maintaining the clock would require much power? Certainly makes me wonder how shut down a phone really is: the switch to turn it on is not a mechanical one really, like a light switch, so makes me wonder if it the power could be activated some other way?