Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Canuk » 24 Jan 2019, 3:32pm

Now all the reporting restrictions have been lifted on this case, its been reported that Former First minister Alex Salmond has been charged with one count of breach of the peace, two of indecent assault, nine of sexual assault, as well as two of attempted rape.

AFAIK no previous leader of a parliament in the UK has been charged with crimes of such severity. I must say I'm surprised by the volume, but there are good reports of other cases ongoing with which he may be charged with later.
Last edited by Graham on 27 Mar 2020, 1:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8459
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Bonefishblues » 24 Jan 2019, 4:53pm

I feel very sorry for him.




...said nobody, ever, afaik.

Cours
Posts: 120
Joined: 20 Nov 2018, 4:16am

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Cours » 24 Jan 2019, 5:20pm

Just watched his ' defence' outside the Court. Even if convicted of only one of the more serious offences the tariff is up to 10 years behind bars.

gbnz
Posts: 1889
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby gbnz » 24 Jan 2019, 5:55pm

Worth bearing in mind that he hasn't done anything yet. We could all be accused of the same tomorrow, we're equally guilty at present

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50348
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Mick F » 24 Jan 2019, 6:14pm

gbnz wrote: .......................... we're equally guilty at present
We're all equally innocent at present.
Mick F. Cornwall

ambodach
Posts: 973
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby ambodach » 24 Jan 2019, 6:20pm

Funny that this should appear some years after the alleged events and at a time when the SNP is on a roll and independence seems a very real possibility.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5480
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Paulatic » 24 Jan 2019, 6:24pm

+1
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

landsurfer
Posts: 5230
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby landsurfer » 24 Jan 2019, 6:29pm

++1 ... It's almost as if "someone" is keeping past misdemeanours in a bag waiting to pounce at the right time .....
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Canuk » 24 Jan 2019, 6:39pm

landsurfer wrote:++1 ... It's almost as if "someone" is keeping past misdemeanours in a bag waiting to pounce at the right time .....


I think that's a bit fanciful tbh. Nicola has spent the past year putting deep water between herself and Salmond. It's even went as far as 'we don't talk anymore'.

By all accounts Salmond has had this coming a long time. His fondness for gambling and young ladies is well documented and rumours have been going around Holyrood for a decade or more of his bad boy antics.

I don't know of any former or present serving First/Prime Minister of Parliament who has been charged with such serious offences. The Procurator Fiscal (equiv. CPS) would be very unlikely to draw to such a list of serious charges were there not sufficient evidence existing to get a reasonable chance at a. conviction

I had lunch and spent the afternoon with him some years back at an aerospace beano organised by the SNP at Prestwick Airport. All expenses paid. Around the time they were trying so sell several Scottish locations as sites for the Spaceport. A charming fellow to be sure, but not my cup of tea as a business promoter.
Last edited by Canuk on 24 Jan 2019, 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tinnishill
Posts: 166
Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 9:58am

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Tinnishill » 24 Jan 2019, 7:06pm

This is an active criminal case. Reporting restrictions are stronger in Scots Law than they are in England. Take a bit of care until after the final verdict.
Agitate, educate, organise.

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Canuk » 24 Jan 2019, 7:12pm

Reporting restrictions about the nature and context of the charges against Salmond were in place until the Court released that information to the press. Now that its in the public domain its free to comment on. I have not gone beyond what has been reported on the Scottish press in recent years. Doubtless the Internet will be awash with really controversial conspiracy stories by tomorrow.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8459
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Bonefishblues » 24 Jan 2019, 7:38pm

Canuk wrote:
landsurfer wrote:++1 ... It's almost as if "someone" is keeping past misdemeanours in a bag waiting to pounce at the right time .....


I think that's a bit fanciful tbh. Nicola has spent the past year putting deep water between herself and Salmond. It's even went as far as 'we don't talk anymore'.

By all accounts Salmond has had this coming a long time. His fondness for gambling and young ladies is well documented and rumours have been going around Holyrood for a decade or more of his bad boy antics.

I don't know of any former or present serving leading Minister of Parliament who has been charged with such serious offences. The Procurator Fiscal (equiv. CPS) would be very unlikely to draw to such a list of serious charges were there not sufficient evidence existing to get a reasonable chance at a. conviction

I had lunch and spent the afternoon with him some years back at an aerospace beano organised by the SNP at Prestwick Airport. All expenses paid. Around the time they were trying so sell several Scottish locations as sites for the Spaceport. A charming fellow to be sure, but not my cup of tea as a business promoter.

More than that, unless there is demonstrably a reasonable propect* of securing a conviction, they are expressly prohibited from bringing the charges fo criminal trial.

*Forgive me, I can't remember the precise form of words, and dinner's arriving!

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6723
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Sweep » 25 Jan 2019, 7:18am

ambodach wrote:Funny that this should appear some years after the alleged events and at a time when the SNP is on a roll and independence seems a very real possibility.

You are suggesting an english conspiracy?
Sweep

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5480
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jan 2019, 7:38am

Sweep wrote:
ambodach wrote:Funny that this should appear some years after the alleged events and at a time when the SNP is on a roll and independence seems a very real possibility.

You are suggesting an english conspiracy?

Think more of Tory/Unionist party. I hope they don’t speak for all of the English.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Alex Salmond Charged with Attempted Rape

Postby Canuk » 25 Jan 2019, 8:02am

Paulatic wrote:
Sweep wrote:
ambodach wrote:Funny that this should appear some years after the alleged events and at a time when the SNP is on a roll and independence seems a very real possibility.

You are suggesting an english conspiracy?

Think more of Tory/Unionist party. I hope they don’t speak for all of the English.


I wasn't at all concerned by this yesterday. However I did notice one quite odd thing: the Gory headline did sit atop the mast of the Guardian online for nearly 17hrs till it was replaced by the Venezuelan crisis about 7am. This is very unusual and made me think twice last night, especially given the skullduggery that took place in Scotland at the actual referendum time. The mast headline is normally rotated every 4hrs.

Then there was this massive vote going through the senate to break the shutdown and a Venezuelan coup/meltdown with possible Russian interference going on simultaneously, but somehow Salmond (surely a minor ex political figure in the scheme of things) gets top billing for nearly an entire day?

Just saying.
Last edited by Canuk on 25 Jan 2019, 8:17am, edited 2 times in total.