Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest
Posts: 2717
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Ben@Forest » 29 Mar 2020, 12:36pm

Paulatic wrote:Either Ben or ST has missed out the full conversation AIUI "could be seen as a ...
which I find credible but maybe not an offence.


The ST quotes Jackson as saying; 'l don't know much about senior politicians, but he was quite an objectionable bully to work with, in a way l don't think Sturgeon is. I think he was a nasty person to work for, a nightmare to work for...

He then appears to say Salmond' could be see as a sex pest but he's not charged with that'.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5657
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Paulatic » 29 Mar 2020, 12:44pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Either Ben or ST has missed out the full conversation AIUI "could be seen as a ...
which I find credible but maybe not an offence.


The ST quotes Jackson as saying; 'l don't know much about senior politicians, but he was quite an objectionable bully to work with, in a way l don't think Sturgeon is. I think he was a nasty person to work for, a nightmare to work for...

He then appears to say Salmond' could be see as a sex pest but he's not charged with that'.

Yes that’s as reported elsewhere.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8714
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Mar 2020, 1:00pm

None of which is a revelation, and pretty much what his defence was :?

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2717
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Ben@Forest » 29 Mar 2020, 1:10pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Any idea that this is some pro-unionist agenda, is frankly grasping at straws, any newspaper would print this about any politician if facts substantiated it.


Let me help. The video's enough.
I don't think it's damaging, particularly, except to the reputation of a QC who discusses matters in public, and who is clearly in contempt of court at one point.


It's not so much how it damages Salmond it's more that l don't think it's some attempt to smear Salmond for political motives. That denigrates the nine women for whom the charges were brought.

And anyone who sees Salmond as having no case to answer shouldn't question Johnson's or Corbyn's sexual proclivities, or indeed those of a host of previous or future politicians who may have salacious sexual lives but which don't end up in court.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby carpetcleaner » 29 Mar 2020, 1:11pm

It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.

D363
Posts: 181
Joined: 23 Aug 2014, 3:03pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby D363 » 29 Mar 2020, 1:23pm

carpetcleaner wrote:It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.


Is that really the full range of possibilities?

User avatar
Tinnishill
Posts: 166
Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 9:58am

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Tinnishill » 29 Mar 2020, 1:30pm

Last edited by Tinnishill on 29 Mar 2020, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agitate, educate, organise.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby carpetcleaner » 29 Mar 2020, 1:33pm

D363 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.


Is that really the full range of possibilities?


Feel free to add some of your own. I didn't claim to provide the complete list.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby mercalia » 29 Mar 2020, 1:37pm

they can still sue him in the civil courts where presumably a lower degree of evidence is needed. surly they must?

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1526
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby georgew » 29 Mar 2020, 2:14pm

mercalia wrote:they can still sue him in the civil courts where presumably a lower degree of evidence is needed. surly they must?



The things you say. :shock:

The opposite is true in fact. Salmond intends to pursue those responsible for these allegations in the civil and criminal court, in that they conspired against him and perverted the course of justice. He already won a case against the Scottish Government for a biased and illegal internal investigation and received £500,00 in legal costs.
That there was such a conspiracy there is no doubt. The coterie of accusers created their own Instagram account to co-ordinate their efforts and there are texts which expose this for what it was. The alleged complaints were not initially made to the Police but to the SNP's disciplinary committee, whose Chairmen texted that they would sit on these complaints until they could use them to maximum effect against Salmond.

The whole bungled farce was an attempt to prevent Salmond's return to politics and in this, it succeeded. The Procurator Fiscal should never have allowed such a flimsy case to go ahead and he has questions to answer. The fact that many prosecution witnesses were never put in the witness box by the Prosecution to be questioned by the defense, is witness to the flimsiness of the case against Salmond.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby mercalia » 29 Mar 2020, 3:03pm

georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:they can still sue him in the civil courts where presumably a lower degree of evidence is needed. surly they must?



The things you say. :shock:

The opposite is true in fact. Salmond intends to pursue those responsible for these allegations in the civil and criminal court, in that they conspired against him and perverted the course of justice. He already won a case against the Scottish Government for a biased and illegal internal investigation and received £500,00 in legal costs.
That there was such a conspiracy there is no doubt. The coterie of accusers created their own Instagram account to co-ordinate their efforts and there are texts which expose this for what it was. The alleged complaints were not initially made to the Police but to the SNP's disciplinary committee, whose Chairmen texted that they would sit on these complaints until they could use them to maximum effect against Salmond.

The whole bungled farce was an attempt to prevent Salmond's return to politics and in this, it succeeded. The Procurator Fiscal should never have allowed such a flimsy case to go ahead and he has questions to answer. The fact that many prosecution witnesses were never put in the witness box by the Prosecution to be questioned by the defense, is witness to the flimsiness of the case against Salmond.



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52078493


if what you say is true then Scottish Justice is rotten to the core, but maybe not for the reasons you give ( compare with Cyprus was it and that rape victim?)? It doesnt surprize me about Salmonds intentions. But your slant is unbelievable. You would presumably regard the #metoo as a conspiracy also.

As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics why is Salmond hated? I thought the scots loved him?

Will
Posts: 314
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 6:39pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Will » 29 Mar 2020, 4:15pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Reported in Sunday Times today that Salmond's own QC described him as a, 'sex pest' and a 'bully'. Apparently recorded by a member of the public. Can't link because tne ST is paywalled, but lawyers must've gone through this with a fine toothcomb before printing it on the front page.

Any idea that this is some pro-unionist agenda, is frankly grasping at straws, any newspaper would print this about any politician if facts substantiated it.


Let me help. The video's enough.
I don't think it's damaging, particularly, except to the reputation of a QC who discusses matters in public, and who is clearly in contempt of court at one point.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alex ... -jfgbkr857


"Today Mr Jackson, who is the Dean of the Faculty of Advocates and Scotland’s leading QC said he had referred himself to the legal complaints body for investigation."

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... ed-2521746

Will

ambodach
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby ambodach » 29 Mar 2020, 4:52pm

I have been an SNP member since the 1960's and used to be fairly active in politics.
Alex Salmond was always a source of controversy but the present vendetta stinks. One of the main complainers apparently is married to a member of Westminster security services. The others I know nothing about but some were proven in court to have fabricated their testimony in that they were not where they claimed to be when allegedly assaulted.
The tabloids were absolutely gutted when a not guilty verdict was announced but cannot restrain themselves from continuing a campaign against him.
Why are allegations of serious misbehaviour by members of other parties quickly brushed under the carpet?

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8714
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Mar 2020, 4:55pm

Mr Salmond has upset an awful lot of people, not all female, it would seem.

ambodach
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby ambodach » 29 Mar 2020, 5:39pm

Nothing new there then.