Boom boom

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Boom boom

Post by peetee »

Anyone in South Hampshire hearing those erratic deep booming noises? I have heard them before last year but it's been going on for two days now and is very annoying and I have no idea what is causing them but it seems like it is coming from the north west and is distant.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Re: Boom boom

Post by rjb »

Bittern.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

peetee wrote:Anyone in South Hampshire hearing those erratic deep booming noises? I have heard them before last year but it's been going on for two days now and is very annoying and I have no idea what is causing them but it seems like it is coming from the north west and is distant.

Isn't that the direction where the aliens landed in War of the Worlds?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

rjb wrote:Bittern.

Botley as well?
peetee

Post by peetee »

rjb wrote:Bittern.

Ha ha. You know where I live then?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Does Basil Brush live there too! :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Not heard anything in North Baddesley
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Shooting?

My local Dukes been shooting the last couple of weeks and the boom, boom has been fairly consistent everywhere within a 15 mile radius of the town (Nb. Not sure what he's shooting at present, though a convey of 4/4's almost got me while I was walking offroad at the wkd)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

peetee wrote:Anyone in South Hampshire hearing those erratic deep booming noises? I have heard them before last year but it's been going on for two days now and is very annoying and I have no idea what is causing them but it seems like it is coming from the north west and is distant.

One of your neighbours is moving their gold bullion ..... better go and check on yours ...... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:Does Basil Brush live there too! :lol:

beat me 2 it i was looking for a utube video. no luck
peetee

Post by peetee »

yakdiver wrote:Not heard anything in North Baddesley

Well that's definitely north west of me. It's much more obvious in our conservatory which filters out the background noise and acts like a resonant chamber. Frequency is erratic, sometimes two or more but mostly single and roughly every 30 seconds. It's a deep boom that reverberates for a second or so and I don't think it's pile driving which is less resonant and shorter duration IME. Seems to be confined to daylight hours too.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well - no sound of it in Burgess Hill (OK - we're actually in Sussex but it does share a border with Hants). Nor in Brighton, Bognor, Bosham, Balcombe, Barcombe, Billingshurst, Bolney, Barns Green, Buxted, Bury, Barnham, Battle, or Birling Gap. Any others where it might be heard?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would suggest that the RN are doing a live firing exercise out in the Portsmouth Exercise Areas. Usually aiming at a towed target, but sometimes at a hulk.

Quite loud at a distance if the atmospheric conditions are right and can appear to come from the "wrong" direction.

Just a guess though.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:....but sometimes at a hulk...
Perhaps there's an escaped convict? (As in Les Misérables or Great Expectations).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:I would suggest that the RN are doing a live firing exercise out in the Portsmouth Exercise Areas. Usually aiming at a towed target, but sometimes at a hulk.

Quite loud at a distance if the atmospheric conditions are right and can appear to come from the "wrong" direction.

Just a guess though.

Cheers. That makes perfect sense. I must admit that it was the direction that stumped me. Salisbury Plain is thataway but shielded by high ground.
See, everybody. I wasn't going mad!

Flibble
:wink: