Walking trousers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
honesty

Walking trousers

Post by honesty »

I’m trying to start hiking a bit more and have found all my hiking stuff is either out of date massively or perished in storage. In the past I’d probably just use some army surplus combats for trousers, but you can buy “proper” walking trousers now. So are they any good and any recommendations?
bogmyrtle

Re: Walking trousers

Post by bogmyrtle »

Craghoper Kiwis. They do light and heavy weight also stretchy versions. Often sold half price at Debenhams.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Ooops, pressed 'submit' a couple of times!
Last edited by SimonCelsa on 26 Jan 2019, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, the craghopper stuff is cheap & durable. The winter lined kiwi are around £35 at Go Outdoors at the moment https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/kiwi-winte ... eg-p161478.

They are good for walking & cycling. Light-ish, warm & dry quick. Plus they do reasonably narrow waists and a good selection of leg length.

I can't get on with their stretchy kiwis, I find them quite irritating as the hairs on your legs get pulled out frequently as the fibres flex!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Anything with a bit of room for movement and that is quick drying. So not cotton.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm no hiker (and most of my rambling is on here :oops: ) but I walk about locally quite a lot. I find that polyamide is much better than cotton as it's very quick to dry. I like Craghoppers - especially the stretchy ones which don't trouble my not particularly hairy legs - and find the best place to go is their outlet shop where you can usually get all the colours in all the sizes at a good discount. I go to the one at McArthur Glen at York. They have a gimmicky specs wiper in one side pocket which I find pointless/useless.

I have several pairs of Rohan trousers which seem to have a tighter weave and, therefore, keep the wind out better but I don't think they are value for money.

You can pay much more, but I'd not bother unless you need things like heavily reinforced knees.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The best thing is to go to somewhere like Blacks and try a few pairs on. And simulate the leg movements you do when you climb over a stile.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I tend just to wear thermal leggings. Just cheap bog standard cotton ones from Millets. I wouldn't wear a cotton top, I go for wickable/breathable there, but I don't get sweaty legs, so I don't see reason to spend more money when cotton is very comfortable.
Nice and comfy, nothing to rub.

If it rains a lot and is cold, I add goretex overtrousers.
If it is just very cold, I wear those very thin thermal leggings (the ones that are like tights, very thin and amazingly warm) under the cotton thermals.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pop over to Clarks village in street and check out the Mountain Warehouse clearance store. Ride your bike and don't tell Swmbo. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve obviously spent too much time wearing cycling tights and have developed a real hate for trousers. It’s the drag over the knee, when walking, I find probably irrationally quite annoying. My first choice is to wear running tights at home, on the bike, and also walking.
I’ve a few pairs of Rohan walking trousers never see the light of day now. Yes they are quick drying and whilst Decathlon running tights can get wet it never feels as bad when that wetness is held at a constant against the skin.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Craghopper Kiwi Pro trousers are made from stretch quick drying material with zipped pockets,and are really hard wearing.Great kit for walking and comfortable on the bike :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bogmyrtle wrote:Craghoper Kiwis. They do light and heavy weight also stretchy versions. Often sold half price at Debenhams.

Also keep an eye out at TK Maxx

The Kiwi stretch Pro are my go to touring trousers
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:Craghoper Kiwis. They do light and heavy weight also stretchy versions. Often sold half price at Debenhams.

Also keep an eye out at TK Maxx

The Kiwi stretch Pro are my go to touring trousers

Do, but make it a cautious eye, as lots of stuff is made for TKM (as opposed to being overstocks*), and isn't of the same standard as Brands' regular lines.

*see also Bicester Village retailers
honesty

Post by honesty »

rjb wrote:Pop over to Clarks village in street and check out the Mountain Warehouse clearance store. Ride your bike and don't tell Swmbo. :lol:

Good plan!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

honesty wrote:I’m trying to start hiking a bit more and have found all my hiking stuff is either out of date massively or perished in storage. In the past I’d probably just use some army surplus combats for trousers, but you can buy “proper” walking trousers now. So are they any good and any recommendations?

Have to admit I've finally worn out my final pair of walking trousers (NB. A benefit of volunteering to act as Purchasing Manager in respect to work clothing for outdoor staff, resulted in my acquiring a few dozen pairs of FOC walking trousers* - left the employer 13 years ago, wore out the final pair last year :wink: ). (* Always legitimate, as a couple hundred pairs would be rejected by staff, the supplier would come to a refund arrangement, the rejects would head to a bin/charity shop).

So did a full review while in the Lakes this week and after 2-3 Hr's review at several outdoor stores, thought the Brasher Grisedale trousers were great @ £32.00 reduced price with Blacks / Millets at present, Millets being cheaper on postage. Much heavier duty fabric and higehr quality stitching et al than offerings from other manufacturers, while still being light enough to wear in active outdoor stuff. One issue I've got with much of the stuff available, is the tendancy to manufacture in very light, tissue like fabrics.