The Reference Diet

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk

The Reference Diet

Post by Canuk »

The Lancet have published their reference diet - a diet to keep us and the planet healthy, and to hopefully eradicate malnutrition. 800 million people are technically starving, 2 billion are suffering from malnutrition and lacking in micronutrients, and another 2 billion are overweight /obese. The research received no funding from industry.

So here's the daily recommended diet:

The reference diet models each person globally having 14g of red meat a day, 29g of chicken, a fifth of an egg, 250g of dairy, quarter rasher of bacon, a little fat or oil, very little sugar, and lots of grains and lentils, large variety of vegetables and nuts.

The nuts are highlighted as a powerful way to improve your micronutrient uptake, and fibre is given even more prominence than before. I notice it does not mention beer or wine, which, certainly here in France is a part of the national diet and has proven health benefits.

It seems a bit lopsided to me, most of your protein from chicken. What thinks you?
bigjim

Re: The Reference Diet

Post by bigjim »

I think almost all of us in the western world eat too much. I also think portion control is more important than the actual protein carb mix or type of food. I always feel well when I'm pretty hungry. I very rarely feel full and always can manage a bit more but never do. I dream about food for some reason, but I never lose weight. It amazes me on the rare occasions when I eat out, the amount of food people around me consume.
I think we are a bit obsessed about food as a nation. All these food programs on TV and articles in the media.