Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
2
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
1
3%
Sometimes
1
3%
Only if I want to cross
16
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
1
3%
No, that is interfering
0
No votes
No, that is childish
13
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
0
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
3
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
1
3%
 
Total votes: 38

pete75
Posts: 12806
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby pete75 » 4 Feb 2019, 9:26am

Cugel wrote:I have been in cars with drivers who certainly do deliberately inflict terror on others: other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, hedgehogs, cats and anyone else that gets in their way. You seem to abide in some sort of car-free utopia? Surely you would have otherwise noticed these motorised terrorists? Perhaps a visit to a hospital casualty department or a day with the traffic police will open your eyes. (Probably not).

Cugel


It seems to me you know some strange people if they deliberately try to do what you say they do. There's a great deal of difference between terrorism and what you describe.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 1138
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby 100%JR » 4 Feb 2019, 9:35am

pete75 wrote:It seems to me you know some strange people if they deliberately try to do what you say they do. There's a great deal of difference between terrorism and what you describe.

I could not agree more!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3104
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Cugel » 4 Feb 2019, 9:39am

kwackers wrote:I reckon I do around 50 miles a week as a pedestrian.
IMO the general attitude of drivers (and cyclists) to pedestrians stinks.

Pedestrian crossings are generally not fit for purpose. Despite attempting to use them properly the simple fact is I am usually across the road and on my way before the crossing changes to red.
Despite claims to the contrary they're not about pedestrian safety and more about making sure pedestrians don't interfere with traffic flow.

Zebra crossings are a mixed blessing, in theory they should be preferred by both drivers and pedestrians but the truth is only around half of drivers stop when someone is waiting at such a crossing and even when using one it's not unknown for a vehicle on the far side to continue across.

Crossing a side road? Don't count on rule 170, ime almost nobody will pull short of the junction and wait for you to cross before turning in. Having someone drive at you with their hand on the horn is much more the likely outcome.

Anti-motoring? Definitely, even as a motorist I think we need to move away from personal transport or at least move it away from where large numbers of pedestrians are - and the good news is slowly but surely that's happening.

I find it odd that anyone could be pro-motorist, the downsides massively outweigh the upsides.


These are my own feelings and experiences. I find it questionable that some defenders of current motoring practices and culture have never been terrorised by a car. Perhaps they feel that "terrorism" is a word that must be reserved only for people with guns and a queer political cause?

Personally I've been terrorised in many forms: by other children when young; by many authority figures, some of whom used physical as well as other forms of persecution; by employers and most definitely by motorists. These people are generally quite normal otherwise but have been unable to control or properly exercise the power they have in their physical size, authority or other power, including as pilot of the powerful car.

Nor have those in this thread who are anti-car been guilty of tarring all drivers with the same brush. To use terms such as moton or Toad is to indicate drivers prone to a certain set of inconsiderate and very dangerous behaviours. Does every sentence mentioning them have to include a long extra mentioning that the poster is not referring to every driver in the world? A true prejudice would not use differentiating terminology such as moton or Toad but instead merely condemn all drivers, as many car-fans do when they condemn all cyclists rather than just the inconsiderate ilk (who are probably also Toads and motons when in a car).

The facts surely justify the condemnation of the moton or Toad style of car-use. Thousand killed and maimed in Britain each year by such people. Whilst some collisions might be truly accidental, the vast majority are due to, at the very least, carelessness - in situations where lack of care is known to be sometimes lethal. Many "accidents" are due to a mad aggression and a truly dangerous behaviour.

Some seem to think that because this is a norm in our society, it shouldn't be complained of in bitter terms. Will they have the same view should they or one of theirs be mowed down by some speeding or punishment-passing lunatic? Perhaps, as people are often very versatile at excusing egregious situations that they are ideologically in favour of for some queer reason.

Cugel

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14975
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby mjr » 4 Feb 2019, 9:50am

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
100%JR wrote:Toads,Motrons,Motards.Why not just Motorists or Drivers?Now pressing buttons to stop them deliberately for no other reason but amusement?
It seems anti-motoring is welcomed(and encouraged) here,not only in this thread but many many others,and attaching such names is allowed but dare to call someone anything deemed "offensive" and your post will be deleted and/or moderated :roll:
In 'Another Place' (I think it was the now defunct ACF - or possibly YACF), use of words like "moton" was actively discouraged or even banned outright. The understanding being, we're not out to insult the motorist.

Perhaps an idea to be considered in this place?

I've started a discussion with forum staff. One of us will post a response on this thread.

Please can you point out that no one had said that motorist-morons are the only sort of motorists, despite what some naughty people in this discussion are trying to imply?

Although I don't use the terms much, I don't object to them because I don't think I am one. I also belong to a motoring forum and they use pejorative terms for bad drivers too.

We may not be here to insult all motorists but some surely deserve at least an insult. They're killing people, after all.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

kwackers
Posts: 14302
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby kwackers » 4 Feb 2019, 9:57am

mjr wrote:Please can you point out that no one had said that motorist-morons are the only sort of motorists, despite what some naughty people in this discussion are trying to imply?

Although I don't use the terms much, I don't object to them because I don't think I am one. I also belong to a motoring forum and they use pejorative terms for bad drivers too.

We may not be here to insult all motorists but some surely deserve at least an insult. They're killing people, after all.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3344
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Oldjohnw » 4 Feb 2019, 11:21am

kwackers wrote:
I find it odd that anyone could be pro-motorist, the downsides massively outweigh the upsides.


I am not pro-motorist. Just a motorist, as little as possible, but motorist nonetheless .
John

reohn2
Posts: 37771
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby reohn2 » 4 Feb 2019, 11:55am

Oldjohnw wrote:
kwackers wrote:
I find it odd that anyone could be pro-motorist, the downsides massively outweigh the upsides.


I am not pro-motorist. Just a motorist, as little as possible, but motorist nonetheless .

I see my private car as a necessary tool,it does a good job for mine and Mrs R2's needs and pleasures,however there's places I think they should be banned from such as city and town centres.

Like it or not the private motor car is in the world,mankind's problem is managing it's unnecessary use.
To restrict something so convenient needs time and effort,I believe society is only just becoming aware of the car's nastier side,and like so many bad habits it's hard to break free of,especially when the loonies are in full control of the asylum.
That said the OP's antics serve only to frustrate drivers,cause unnecessary congestion and more pollution,and as such is counter productive.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Airsporter1st » 4 Feb 2019, 4:46pm

reohn2 wrote:<snip>That said the OP's antics serve only to frustrate drivers,cause unnecessary congestion and more pollution,and as such is counter productive.


...... and could, under certain circumstances, be downright dangerous.

reohn2
Posts: 37771
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby reohn2 » 4 Feb 2019, 6:32pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:<snip>That said the OP's antics serve only to frustrate drivers,cause unnecessary congestion and more pollution,and as such is counter productive.


...... and could, under certain circumstances, be downright dangerous.

Quite right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12295
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Feb 2019, 7:11pm

I earnestly hope our use of language shall not be restricted

Still waiting for information, how do others fight motor crime, I mean try to reduce traffic offences?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Feb 2019, 5:58am, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12295
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Feb 2019, 7:16pm

reohn2 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:<snip>That said the OP's antics serve only to frustrate drivers,cause unnecessary congestion and more pollution,and as such is counter productive.


...... and could, under certain circumstances, be downright dangerous.

Quite right.

Wrong again, reducing speed and holding up the Knights of the Road reduces danger overall as explained several times, one should try it to form an opinion before criticising
R2 bleats almost as much as I do, I would like to ask what he does against motor crime

Simply obeying the law wins no points of course
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Feb 2019, 5:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12295
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Feb 2019, 7:21pm

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
100%JR wrote:Toads,Motrons,Motards.Why not just Motorists or Drivers?Now pressing buttons to stop them deliberately for no other reason but amusement?
It seems anti-motoring is welcomed(and encouraged) here,not only in this thread but many many others,and attaching such names is allowed but dare to call someone anything deemed "offensive" and your post will be deleted and/or moderated :roll:
In 'Another Place' (I think it was the now defunct ACF - or possibly YACF), use of words like "moton" was actively discouraged or even banned outright. The understanding being, we're not out to insult the motorist.

Perhaps an idea to be considered in this place?

I've started a discussion with forum staff. One of us will post a response on this thread.

We have so many words, I do hope there will be no restrictions
Please explain why the second post by mr/mrs sporter about breaking my fingers was not deleted, I can see no indication that it was not meant seriously

She/he could have threatened to deflate my tyres, that would have been enough :?
Incitements to violence, even allegedly humorous ones, should not be tolerated, right?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12295
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Feb 2019, 7:39pm

100%JR wrote:Toads,Motrons,Motards.Why not just Motorists or Drivers?Now pressing buttons to stop them deliberately for no other reason but amusement?
..

Not for amusement, though that might be a good extra reason, thanks for the suggestion :wink:
As explained several times here and elsewhere, in no particular order
1 to reduce speed, reduce danger
2 to make driving less attractive*
3 to help PoFs sav time, they could suffer from standing about in the cold

* just been to the cinema on the way home from work, parked outwith the centre, had a lovely walk, almost a kilometre. Each way! I never bother driving into town and paying to park

I like robust debate but some here are getting a bit excited, I am almost the only person who does this, can't achieve much until I have many allies
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

reohn2
Posts: 37771
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby reohn2 » 4 Feb 2019, 8:02pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Wrong again, refusing speeds and holding up the Knights of the Road reduces danger overall as explained several times, one should try it to form an opinion before criticising

My opinion has been formed over a long period of driving,cycling,and being a pedestrian.At no point in my life have I ever had reason to press the button on a crossing unless I intended to cross.



Simply obeying the law wins no points of course

I'll tell you what I don't do and that is to press buttons on crossings to unnecessarily stop traffic in the <SNIP> belief that I'm somehow contributing to road safety.
Road traffic law is there to be obeyed because to do so is the safest option,the fact there isn't enough police about to do the job of enforcing that law is the fault of poor government and or that poor policing.
In the past I've reported motorists for illegal or unsafe driving,unfortunately the police in my area are so underfunded I've been told point blank that they can't follow up on my reports,so unfortunately I've given it up as a bad job.
One thing I don't do is take the law into my own hands and I certainly don't stop traffic by pressing buttons on crossings in the mistaken and idiotic belief that I'm somehow contributing to road safety.

I sincerely hope my opinion and 'bleatings' are clear enough to you on the issue :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7357
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Feb 2019, 8:14pm

Perhaps OP might consider a holiday to indulge his passion?

https://www.meetup.com/ROADSAFETYCLUB/