Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

Cyril Haearn

Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many on these fora including I bleat about motrons breaking the law, there is a lot of bleating but little action

I frequently take action to slow traffic, I press the button at the pedestrian crossing when I want to cross, after crossing, when cycling by, if I have nothing better to do I loiter awhile, keep pressing the button to optimise times for *people* :D In town there are places where many PoFs want to cross, I save them time, so the green to cross periods are optimised. Green for motors is of course much longer. I prevent speeding crime. I make driving a little less attractive, if many more people pressed the button maybe some journies would not take place

I drive too, really don't mind being held up so people may cross, especially in the winter, the poor *&@&&s waiting in the cold

Do you press the button? If not why not?

I have mentioned this before, others disapprove, I do not understand why. I especially want to know how others are combating motor crime
You have one vote which may be changed
Cyril, optimistic bleater despite everything
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 11 Jan 2021, 6:48am, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Many on these fora including I bleat about motrons breaking the law, there is a lot of bleating but little action

I frequently take action to slow traffic, I press the button at the pedestrian crossing when I want to cross, after crossing, when cycling by, if I have nothing better to do I loiter awhile, keep pressing the button to optimise times for *people* :D In town there are places where many PoFs want to cross, I save them time, so the green to cross periods are optimised. Green for motors is of course much longer. I prevent speeding crime. I make driving a little less attractive, if many more people pressed the button maybe some journies would not take place

I drive too, really don't mind being held up so people may cross, especially in the winter, the poor *&@&&s waiting in the cold

Do you press the button? If not why not?

I have mentioned this before, others disapprove. I especially want to know how others are combating motor crime
You have one vote which may be changed
Cyril Haearn, optimistic bleater despite everything

Why stop with the button? In the night time, when it's dark and folk are abed, you could dig car-traps. I often fantasise about laying large sleeping policemen in the night, inclusive of large warning signs threatening suspension disembowelment should a Toad feel inclined to roar over the sleeping rozzer (who is actually wide awake).

There have been others even more adamant than thee (yes, even thou) who have gone the whole hog, assaulting the passing cars in various ways detrimental to their well-being (cars and assaulters, not to mention the canned-Toads). My own fantasy in that regard would be use of a special ray gun embedded in the road that instantly melted the gear boxes of cars going over, so that they seized in the next few yards, creating a large heap of stationary cars full of warm people. Such a road block would be a work of art!

I'm sure others will have a whole variety of fantasies about how they would deal with the speeding, close-passing and otherwise lethal Toads in their poop-poopers. I would like to hear of these fantasies.....

Cugel, agent provocateur
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rice pudding is delicious but it looks like bird droppings
One could smear it on the windscreens of illegally parked vehicles :wink:
softlips

Post by softlips »

Modern pedestrian crossings cancel the request to cross if no one is standing in the vacinity of the crossing.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

How do you differentiate between those breaking the law and those who are not?

Deliberately delaying law abiding motorists is not combatting motor crime.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

softlips wrote:Modern pedestrian crossings cancel the request to cross if no one is standing in the vacinity of the crossing.

No modern ones near me, but today I saw one that was faulty, or a genius had jammed it with a matchstick, it kept going green for people of its own accord

Wish I knew the matchstick trick, but it would not help much at the lights near the train station, they are turned off at 21oo :(
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 2 Feb 2019, 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Airsporter1st wrote:How do you differentiate between those breaking the law and those who are not?

Deliberately delaying law abiding motorists is not combatting motor crime.

The majority break the law, for example on an arterial road with a 50 kmh maximum limit very few do not go too fast
As of the few who do break the law I have no objections to being punished for offences committed by others
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Feb 2019, 5:46am, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So you are happy to admit to the additional emissions you are causing in the areas of your button pressing.
Wonder how many people with breathing issues you have killed by your actions ....

Just a thought .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:So you are happy to admit to the additional emissions you are causing in the areas of your button pressing.
Wonder how many people with breathing issues you have killed by your actions ....

Just a thought .....

Many vehicles automatically switch off their motors as soon as they stop, could be that I have unkilled people
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:So you are happy to admit to the additional emissions you are causing in the areas of your button pressing.

Just a thought .....

Many vehicles automatically switch off their motors as soon as they stop, could be that I have unkilled people

What percentage of the registered vehicles on UK roads have auto engine stop ... 2% .. maybe 3% ? (guess what .. i've checked the stats) .... Your still a killer .. :)
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Respect ... thats how it should be ... I've started taking buses ... they are still going to emit .. but the more on board the less emissions per person travelling ..
Be more Mike.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Airsporter1st wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I conspire to make driving less attractive, so people walk instead, like I do. I park outside town and walk a whole kilometre. Each way :wink:

Respect ... thats how it should be ... I've started taking buses ... they are still going to emit .. but the more on board the less emissions per person travelling ..

...all very fine, except that our resident juvenile's behaviour no doubt delays busses too - also resulting in increased emissions.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If you push the button on a crossing with a less than maximum delay, then you may have delayed the next person to cross because it'll wait for the maximum on the second button push.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

When I was a child it used to be fun to press the button when walking past a crossing, and see the traffic come grinding to a hault for no reason. However, the modern crossings which are programmed to wait for a gap in the traffic before changing, offer no reward for those amused by this.

I suspect if you seriously wanted to slow people down you could paint some fake white lines in the road, or point a fake speed camera at passing cars.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:If you push the button on a crossing with a less than maximum delay, then you may have delayed the next person to cross because it'll wait for the maximum on the second button push.

All the more reason to press the button at every opportunity
There are no 'intelligent' crossings round here, fortunately (?), I think they are even worse for people and 'better' for motors
I am not the only person to advocate this, a cycling magazine (not the Gazette) published a letter advocating pressing buttons in 2006, still got copies to distribute