Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

mjr

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Instead we have the HS2 white elephant which does nothing for the problem costs a fortune and gets you to London 20minutes sooner :?

Nonsense: HS2 frees up a lot of capacity on the classic lines by moving all the high-speed travel which takes up a lot of space in a heterogenous network to its own more homogenous line. Have you tried travelling to/from North Kent before and after HS1 opened? It's like night and day.

But we've discussed this at some length before and still the lie that HS2 is only about speed and does nothing for the problems gets repeated. If you want to argue against HS2, argue against it factually (and there are some valid grounds, mainly that it costs too much for the good it does) instead of repeating the lie.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

R2 has similar views to mine on motor domination, Plus One!

A horse is not the solution, rather a dog
Saw someone waiting to cross the road today, her large golden dog was apparently trained to jump up and press the button

Several members have warned of the danger of violence by nasty motards
We know that bullies are cowards, they would not dare threaten me when Rex (Irish Wolfhound, 90 kg) is nearby
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 28 Feb 2019, 5:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Instead we have the HS2 white elephant which does nothing for the problem costs a fortune and gets you to London 20minutes sooner :?

Nonsense: HS2 frees up a lot of capacity on the classic lines by moving all the high-speed travel which takes up a lot of space in a heterogenous network to its own more homogenous line.

Exactly, it's amazing that people think we can run a 21st century public transport system on 19th century infrastructure.

And before Beeching gets mentioned he recommended improvements and investment in major, profitable lines; but both Labour and Conservative made the cuts but did not invest.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:

Nonsense: HS2 frees up a lot of capacity on the classic lines by moving all the high-speed travel which takes up a lot of space in a heterogenous network to its own more homogenous line. Have you tried travelling to/from North Kent before and after HS1 opened? It's like night and day.

But we've discussed this at some length before and still the lie that HS2 is only about speed and does nothing for the problems gets repeated. If you want to argue against HS2, argue against it factually (and there are some valid grounds, mainly that it costs too much for the good it does) instead of repeating the lie.

I'm repeating no lies.
HS2 is a white elephant on cost alone,let alone that because its' supposed to be so super fast it can only stop at only a few stations.
YVMV mine won't
BTW quit calling me a liar,especially on something that's not even been built yet!
With a bit of luck that money may be spent on local lines starved of funding and run for profit only on worn out inferior trains,overseen by idiots,non bigger than the present transport secretary who I wouldn't pay with the holes out of washers
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Feb 2019, 7:48am, edited 4 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:....... both Labour and Conservative made the cuts but did not invest.

Quite right,especially on cross country lines,more so up here in the frozen north!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might not be so necessary in Berlin soon, there is talk of optimising green times for PoFs

Near me there is a place where cyclists cross the freeway slip road, it is very dangerous, motors do 80 kmh. But at the top of the slip road there is a light, next time I cycle there I shall press the button, wait till the lights have changed back, press it again, then cycle off, just have time to reach the crossing before it changes again, it holds up the motards so one may cross in relative safety
At the crossing PoFs have priority but PoBs do not. Often drivers stop although they have priority and try to wave PoBs over. PoBs often do as invited. How stupid can one get?

When driving I am happy to stop at crossings to let PoFs over, I do not feel frustration or anger, anything that slows traffic including me is welcome. Anyone here get frustrated?

I think my suggestion is the nudge that shall have a great effect
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies