Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

Vorpal

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Thread has been pruned again. Please stop insulting each other.

This thread is taking too much moderator time. If folks can't argue nicely, it will be binned.
For this thread to take up more Mod time than you-know-which thread? We must be in trouble! :wink:

A higher percentage pf posts have been pruned from this thread than that thread, though the total number of posts is higher for the other.

:lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:* not the sort of thing one would use face-to-face, right? :?

Wrong.
I would never post anything on any Forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person.

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
This thread is taking too much moderator time. If folks can't argue nicely, it will be binned.
For this thread to take up more Mod time than you-know-which thread? We must be in trouble! :wink:

A higher percentage pf posts have been pruned from this thread than that thread, though the total number of posts is higher for the other.
:lol:

That must tell you something.......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Please don't bin it, I want to read the through in peace
Several people have vowed not to post here again, I hope they keep to that

Still very puzzled at the reactions and poll results
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:But I still won't push buttons because it delays other walkers.

Usually helps PoFs where I do it :wink:

Again: how?

As far as I know the lights stay green for motons for a set time (2-3) minutes, if one presses the button as soon as motors have green the green for people is maximised
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
arguably it's highway obstruction as we've discussed inthe past, but there's no known prosecution for it. The highway code rule instructing you to push the button doesn't say to do it only when wanting to cross! http://highwaycode.info/rule/22

Since most children will have done this prosecutions are unlikely. Even Mrs May, in her cornfield moment, might have been guilty.

But for most people it stops there, at childhood. But I, too, have my childish moments.

Under 10s can't be prosecuted, of course.

What about people like the OP with a mental age of under 10? :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Since most children will have done this prosecutions are unlikely. Even Mrs May, in her cornfield moment, might have been guilty.

But for most people it stops there, at childhood. But I, too, have my childish moments.

Under 10s can't be prosecuted, of course.

What about people like the OP with a mental age of under 10? :lol:

Plus One, another compliment, I don't mind that
Strong language and encouragement to violence I draw the line at, mind :wink:
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Still very puzzled at the reactions and poll results

Really?
Seek help before it's too late :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Which you've been doing as well with several post here attacking his idea.

Because I think it's self-defeating, not because I think people should blindly follow rules.

I don't think there are any rules about what he's doing - as far as I'm aware it's not illegal. Most people just think it's a stupid idea.

Most people don't think about it at all

I have been doing good stealthily, often people press the button and are delighted that they may cross immediately because I pressed the button a couple of minutes earlier, I stay anonymous like a sort of Guardian angel :wink:
I walk a lot, in winter it is awful waiting outside in the cold, especially for children, I love to help the little angels get home for tea a bit earlier
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Usually helps PoFs where I do it :wink:

Again: how?

As far as I know the lights stay green for motons for a set time (2-3) minutes, if one presses the button as soon as motors have green the green for people is maximised

No, that's not how many work. There's often a minimum delay between push and walking green (often 55 seconds) but also a minimum carriageway green time (often about 2 minutes) so pushing the button when nobody wants to cross is slightly more likely to condemn the next walker to a longer wait (if they arrive between 55s + crossing cycle time and 65s after that) than give them a shorter wait (if they arrive in the first 55s).

If it's one of the good crossings that doesn't wait 55s after the button push, you're being even more unhelpful to walking people.

So unless you know the timings, don't do it else you may be hurting walking!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:Again: how?

No, that's not how many work. There's often a minimum delay between push and walking green (often 55 seconds) but also a minimum carriageway green time (often about 2 minutes) so pushing the button when nobody wants to cross is slightly more likely to condemn the next walker to a longer wait (if they arrive between 55s + crossing cycle time and 65s after that) than give them a shorter wait (if they arrive in the first 55s).

If it's one of the good crossings that doesn't wait 55s after the button push, you're being even more unhelpful to walking people.

So unless you know the timings, don't do it else you may be hurting walking!

I shall go to my favourite crossing in town with a notepad and stopwatch, make some observations and report

Just wish I knew the matchstick trick, saw two crossings recently where some genius had jammed the buttons :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just wish I knew the matchstick trick, saw two crossings recently where some genius had jammed the buttons :D
Wouldn't work if I'd had a hand in designing the controller. On everything involving pushbuttons that I've worked on, the equipment only reacts to a transition in the state of the button: open-to-closed or closed-to-open. Unless the button was specifically required to auto-repeat when held down (like keys on a computer keyboard), that is. I certainly wouldn't let a pushbutton controlling traffic lights do that!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rfryer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Wonder how many people with breathing issues you have killed by your actions ....

Just a thought .....

Many vehicles automatically switch off their motors as soon as they stop, could be that I have unkilled people

Whether or not vehicles switch off their engines, they will still use more energy (and therefore create more emissions) in shopping and restarting than they would in maintaining a steady speed. So sorry, you've unkilled nobody.

If they think about the time and energy and cash lost waiting, driving, parking, they might drive less, that is my objective, worth a try (Just hope they do not upgrade to cycling instead)
If driving gets less attractive motrons can be nudged into driving less, but alone I cannae achieve much. If the 27 000 members of these fora joined we could make a difference. In the short term there might be more emissions, but in the medium term there might be fewer

One of the biggest issues on these fora is driving crime, I am one of those who bleats about lack of enforcement, but am I the only one who actually does anything?

One imagines most members of these fora think there is too much driving for short (and long :? ) journey, we should do what we can to make it less attractive

Best to press the button discretely, thanks to my critics for the suggestion :wink:
Argue nicely please
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One of the biggest issues on these fora is driving crime, I am one of those who bleats about lack of enforcement, but am I the only one who actually does anything?

A childish prank isn't doing anything.
As your poll suggests you are the only person who thinks you are achieving anything,
Give it up.let it go :roll:

*edit*
Moderated for saying "grow up"???????????????
The OP can quite happily Troll away though?????
Last edited by 100%JR on 6 Feb 2019, 10:18am, edited 2 times in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...and why would we not want motorists to turn to cycling (upgrade, as you put it), out of interest?

Surely that's precisely what we would all wish?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:None of the answers fit me.

I don't press anything if I can get away with it or even use the crossings. Stop, look, listen. If the road is clear, walk across.
Pressing a button slows everything up, even pedestrians.

Today in Truro.

I'd gone down the A390 to see All Saints Highertown parish church as part of my quest, then needed to double back. Very busy stretch of A road there. Maybe 9.30am
I mounted the shared-use pavement and cycled back up the road to a roundabout with controlled crossings across both lanes of traffic.

I didn't press any of the buttons, but waited for suitable gaps to cross, then went on my way.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.26296 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall