Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

Cugel

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:I’m actually surprised that you’re surprised :roll:
The one thing that’s not surprising is why cyclists have such a bad reputation.Some of the crap on this Forum is gold dust to the anti-cycling brigade.
Thanks for your contribution :|

I suppose when a privileged group that's inclined to make the most of that privilege (to the point of oppressing those they encounter) become so dominant that they regard their privilege as a right, the society in which they live somehow ends up appeasing them, going along with them and generally kow-towing to their arrogant demands to GET OUT MY WAY. Personally I don't give a stuff if they dislike me because I'm a motorist-detesting cyclist. After all, they'll dislike me anyway, just for GETTING IN MY WAY.

But you keep quiet and get out their way if you want. It would be just terrible if your reputation should suffer in the regard of some motorist-on-a-mission, after all. And what would the ghost of The Thatcher Thing think of you, interefering with The Great Car Economy!

The button-jammer is doing a minor thing (if he's really doing it at all). Motorists kill and maim thousands each year, just in this country - millions world-wide each year. If I could, I would "inconvenience" them an awful lot more than delaying them at a crossing for a few seconds with a spurious button-press. A very big, large awful lot more, the bluddy rascals.

Now, who else do you feel it wise to appease in their evil doings, in case they turn on us and do some more evil doings? Should we keep quiet about all the other law-breaking killers and maimers? After all, their actions were probably just "accidents"; or they were driven to do a murder or a GBH because someone GOT IN MY WAY. If only that girlfriend had done what they wanted, eh? She wouldn't be all battered like that.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
100%JR wrote:Toads,Motrons,Motards.Why not just Motorists or Drivers?Now pressing buttons to stop them deliberately for no other reason but amusement?
It seems anti-motoring is welcomed(and encouraged) here,not only in this thread but many many others,and attaching such names is allowed but dare to call someone anything deemed "offensive" and your post will be deleted and/or moderated :roll:

Not for amusement, to fight against terror/crime as explained

And now Terrorists?
You really seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder.
I wonder what would happen if I labelled certain “cyclists” this way?
Actually I know what would happen.

Cyclists don't kill and maim thousands each year, silly. Cuh! Keep up. Have you never been terrorised by a motorist whilst on your bike? If not, you are unique among the cycling tribes.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I have been in cars with drivers who certainly do deliberately inflict terror on others: other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, hedgehogs, cats and anyone else that gets in their way. You seem to abide in some sort of car-free utopia? Surely you would have otherwise noticed these motorised terrorists? Perhaps a visit to a hospital casualty department or a day with the traffic police will open your eyes. (Probably not).

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

100%JR wrote:Toads,Motrons,Motards.Why not just Motorists or Drivers?Now pressing buttons to stop them deliberately for no other reason but amusement?
It seems anti-motoring is welcomed(and encouraged) here,not only in this thread but many many others,and attaching such names is allowed but dare to call someone anything deemed "offensive" and your post will be deleted and/or moderated :roll:
In 'Another Place' (I think it was the now defunct ACF - or possibly YACF), use of words like "moton" was actively discouraged or even banned outright. The understanding being, we're not out to insult the motorist.

Perhaps an idea to be considered in this place?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:
In 'Another Place' (I think it was the now defunct ACF - or possibly YACF), use of words like "moton" was actively discouraged or even banned outright. The understanding being, we're not out to insult the motorist.

I hope so.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

SOME motorists kill and maim.SOME.
To tar all with the same brush is nothing short of stupidity.
To label them Terrorists is stupidity at its worst.
The OP and a couple of others on here seem to have a hatred of all motorists and it’s not only irrational but a bit naive.
As I’ve said if I aimed the same sort of bile at certain cycling types I’d have my posts removed.
Why can certain posters get away with this blatant incitement of hate and name calling?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Terrorist is the word for truck drivers who follow cars a few metres behind through the roadworks on the motorway, try to bully them into going faster, do not drop back

Terrorist is the word for motards who bully cyclists out of the way instead of waiting

Chip on my shoulder? How many cyclists do motards kill/injure? How many motards are killed/injured by cyclists?
I imagine there is much more crap on motoring fora than here

No terrorist isn't the word for those things. To say that is just as stupid as your original idea about button pressing on crossings. Talking of crap perhaps you use your fingers for disimpaction. That way you'll be slightly less full of it.

I have been in cars with drivers who certainly do deliberately inflict terror on others: other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, hedgehogs, cats and anyone else that gets in their way. You seem to abide in some sort of car-free utopia? Surely you would ihave otherwise noticed these motorised terrorists? Perhaps a visit to a hospital casualty department or a day with the traffic police will open your eyes. (Probably not).

Cugel

I have driven probably 700,000+ miles so am well aware of what driving in the UK is like and it’s not Utopia...neither is it the post-holocaust- Mad Max-hellhole you seem to think it is.
Ridden with the Traffic Police so that's covered.Have you?
Wife is a A&E award Sister so got that covered also.
Anything else?Or would you prefer to just carry on venting your spleen regardless?
There are some very bitter people here.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not surprising, some have been bereaved by our 'partner motorists', like Mr Boardman was
Others have maybe only lost a limb or like me are too scared to cycle on the road

Plus One for diversity of language and tolerance of diverse views, I do hope censorship is not introduced here! Anyone who dislikes creative language may ignore it

I would draw the line at incitements to violence against people mind but we must accept what the moderators decide
What about the motoring forums, do they censor threats of violence to cyclists?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems to me, this thread includes robust debate, +1, but nothing to censor except the incitement to violence as noted before

Could anyone suggest a word for law-abiding drivers including me, I always halt a STOP signs!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What about the motoring forums, do they censor threats of violence to cyclists?
I think Pistonheads do, though I've not visited that site for ages. Last time I looked, there were one or two positive threads about cycling - though from a "motorist+cyclist"s perspective I suppose...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What about the motoring forums, do they censor threats of violence to cyclists?
I think Pistonheads do, though I've not visited that site for ages. Last time I looked, there were one or two positive threads about cycling - though from a "motorist+cyclist"s perspective I suppose...

I'm on there. Anti-cyclist threads get short shrift.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Recently someone charged in here appearing to accuse all drivers in their late 60s and older of being dangerous and of spending the last 50 years going about injuring people.

He/she was asked to clarify: unsurprisingly they failed to respond.

Sweeping statements and generalisations are both false but potentially dangerous, whatever the subject. As well as provoking unnecessary anger, arguments and distress. Usually, more heat that light results: a genuine cause is not remotely advanced and relationships get spoiled whilst positions get entrenched.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:

I've started a discussion with forum staff. One of us will post a response on this thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:Cyclists don't kill and maim thousands each year, silly. Cuh! Keep up. Have you never been terrorised by a motorist whilst on your bike? If not, you are unique among the cycling tribes.
Cugel

I have never been "terrorised" by anyone in over 45 years of cycling.Then again I live in the real world :wink:
"Terrorised" :roll:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I reckon I do around 50 miles a week as a pedestrian.
IMO the general attitude of drivers (and cyclists) to pedestrians stinks.

Pedestrian crossings are generally not fit for purpose. Despite attempting to use them properly the simple fact is I am usually across the road and on my way before the crossing changes to red.
Despite claims to the contrary they're not about pedestrian safety and more about making sure pedestrians don't interfere with traffic flow.

Zebra crossings are a mixed blessing, in theory they should be preferred by both drivers and pedestrians but the truth is only around half of drivers stop when someone is waiting at such a crossing and even when using one it's not unknown for a vehicle on the far side to continue across.

Crossing a side road? Don't count on rule 170, ime almost nobody will pull short of the junction and wait for you to cross before turning in. Having someone drive at you with their hand on the horn is much more the likely outcome.

Anti-motoring? Definitely, even as a motorist I think we need to move away from personal transport or at least move it away from where large numbers of pedestrians are - and the good news is slowly but surely that's happening.

I find it odd that anyone could be pro-motorist, the downsides massively outweigh the upsides.