Eight O'clock Pips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Eight O'clock Pips

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Feb 2019, 11:09am

TC, no, and I havent had the sleeve problem, perhaps I have a different model? Theres a certain satisfaction in knowing your watch is better at its primary purpose than any 'designer' timepiece, but...have I got the primary purpose of 'designer' timepieces wrong?
Micks post above surprises me, perhaps he's lived in Cornwall so long he's contracted drektly disease?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Feb 2019, 11:56am

When I retired - 1997 - after thirty years of being governed by clocks and watches, I took a much more relaxed attitude to timekeeping in general and wristwatches and alarm clocks in particular. I had to sharpen up my ideas when my eldest grandchild started school. I wanted a watch which would keep sufficiently accurate time and need no attention from me. The nearest thing I could find was the Seiko which has the bonus of day/date. It has served me well but I sometimes find that the day/date has been replaced by a 24 digital time reading which I don't want. Easy enough to recover the day/date if you know the correct sequence of button presses and I suspect my youngest grandchild could fix it with her eyes shut, but I cannot. The instruction book has tiny print and runs to many pages, including explanations in many foreign languages of how to set the time for many foreign capital cities. I downloaded the instruction from the internet and then printed to one page I needed A4 rather than postage stamp. Problem solved but the requirement "need no attention from me" has not been met.

I was going to post a link to mine on Amazon but I'm not sure if the link is free of ways into my account.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 5 Feb 2019, 1:18pm

Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.
[color=#FF0000][/color]

Canuk

Postby Canuk » 5 Feb 2019, 1:25pm

philvantwo wrote:Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.

Sympathetic digital hangover? :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Feb 2019, 1:44pm

philvantwo wrote:Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.
Online Radio 4?
DAB Radio 4?

.............or just plain old analogue FM/LW/MW Radio 4?
Mick F. Cornwall

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 5 Feb 2019, 1:47pm

I get pips at 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock.
I've vowed to give up eating raspberries. :(

matt_twam_asi

Postby matt_twam_asi » 5 Feb 2019, 2:16pm

Mick F wrote:If I was listening to (say) The Archers in the workshop on DAB, then came into the house and it was online on the iMac, it would be about a minute behind. Not timed it specifically, but about a minute, maybe a bit less.

Yes, the online player uses the MPEG-DASH format which could cause that much of a delay. It looks like each segment is 5-10 seconds, plus encoding time, plus network latency, plus buffering. That would get you close to a minute.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Feb 2019, 3:54pm

Thanks!

What I might do one morning, is to watch the time on the iPad - accurate(?) with the WiFi internet, and also the time on my Garmin Montana. ( Maybe I could do that any time to check them out.)
At the same time have the DAB radio on and online radio on too and listen for their pips.

By using a stop watch, I could time the pips with respect to GPS Real Time vs DAB radio vs online radio.

Probably won't do this as it's a bit nerdy! :lol:

............. even though it's interesting.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 5 Feb 2019, 6:17pm

I was listening on a DAB radio. How are you going to watch and listen to 2 screens and 2 radios all at the same time Mick F?
[color=#FF0000][/color]

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Feb 2019, 6:42pm

........... because I'm clever and ambidextrous as well as having eyes in the back of my head. Multi-talented as well perhaps, but I try to be all those things.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Feb 2019, 6:05am

Six o'clock pips Radio 4 online just now.

Garmin Montana agreed with my MacBook time connected to Wifi and internet.
At exactly 6am I started my stopwatch and stopped it at the long beep at the end of the time signal.

1min 28secs late.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 6 Feb 2019, 6:12am

I have a colleague who argues this delay invalidates the TV License.

They argus that the licence is required to watch a broadcast at the time it is broadcast, but not for programmes that are watched later.

To watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast

As there is a delay between broadcast and receipt of the signal, ALL programmes are watched after broadcast and a licence is not necessary!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Feb 2019, 7:45am

6am this morning.
DAB Radio 4 vs Garmin Montana.
DAB was a whole three seconds late! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 7 Feb 2019, 11:03am

How much time have you 'lost' so far this year Mick F?
[color=#FF0000][/color]

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 7 Feb 2019, 11:18am

Mick F, the pips are controlled by an atomic clock in the basement of broadcasting house and are accurate to 1 second in 300 million years!
:|
[color=#FF0000][/color]