Pub's Legs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 35882
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 10:57am

Mick F wrote:There was a Legs of Man pub down the Little Arcade in Wigan as I remember.
Doubt it's there nowadays, let alone the Little Arcade.

There's the Legs, on the left.$matches[2]
Here's another shot of it.ozh8dur6.jpg
http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo ... e&offset=0
http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo ... e&offset=0

I remember it well Mick,demo'd to make way for a new shopping mall,but Makinson's arcade is still there though :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7681
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Feb 2019, 11:05am

The Long John Silver? :evil: :lol: One leg or two?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

reohn2
Posts: 35882
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 11:06am

al_yrpal wrote:The Long John Silver? :evil: :lol: One leg or two?

Al

One and a half maybe :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9105
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Feb 2019, 11:30am

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:The Long John Silver? :evil: :lol: One leg or two?

Al

One and a half maybe :wink:
I seem to recall, LJS used a crutch, and didn't have a prosthetic leg. So I'd say, one.

Captain Ahab, on the other hand...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46432
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby Mick F » 7 Feb 2019, 11:35am

reohn2 wrote:........ Makinson's arcade is still there though :)
Is Makinson's still there? The shop, I mean. Posh grocer emporium.

There was a butcher's down at the bottom on the left that sold absolutely wonderful meat pies. The ones with the jelly on the top round the pastry crust. I'm drooling just thinking about them. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Feb 2019, 11:41am

661-Pete wrote: ...
I seem to recall, LJS used a crutch, and didn't have a prosthetic leg. So I'd say, one. ...


Aaargh Jim, lad - or perhaps Pete lad - I do believe you be right.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7681
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Feb 2019, 11:44am

thirdcrank wrote:
661-Pete wrote: ...
I seem to recall, LJS used a crutch, and didn't have a prosthetic leg. So I'd say, one. ...


Aaargh Jim, lad - or perhaps Pete lad - I do believe you be right.


What about the stump its still a leg?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9105
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Feb 2019, 11:49am

Is there a stump? Can't see one here:
Image
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Feb 2019, 2:06pm

Mick F wrote: ... How many legs have you seen or been to recently?
...


Four legs lunch today - The Greyhound at Tong.

reohn2
Posts: 35882
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 2:50pm

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:........ Makinson's arcade is still there though :)
Is Makinson's still there? The shop, I mean. Posh grocer emporium.

There was a butcher's down at the bottom on the left that sold absolutely wonderful meat pies. The ones with the jelly on the top round the pastry crust. I'm drooling just thinking about them. :D

I don't think either of those shops have survived,I believe Wigan struggles as a shopping centre these days and apparently half the units in the two newish malls are half empty,a sign of the times......
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 35882
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 2:52pm

al_yrpal wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
661-Pete wrote: ...
I seem to recall, LJS used a crutch, and didn't have a prosthetic leg. So I'd say, one. ...


Aaargh Jim, lad - or perhaps Pete lad - I do believe you be right.


What about the stump its still a leg?

Al

A legette I'd say,or perhaps a half-leg
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 35882
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 2:53pm

661-Pete wrote:Is there a stump? Can't see one here:
Image

Well going off the illustration at least he couldn't shoot himself in the foot!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46432
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby Mick F » 7 Feb 2019, 3:50pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What about his crutch? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Feb 2019, 3:59pm

Formerly known as Knottingley Wells, what about Leg Ends in Batley? :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.70793 ... 384!8i8192

(To save following the link it's really called Legends.)

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3711
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Pub's Legs

Postby NUKe » 7 Feb 2019, 4:14pm

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:The Long John Silver? :evil: :lol: One leg or two?

Al

One and a half maybe :wink:
I seem to recall, LJS used a crutch, and didn't have a prosthetic leg. So I'd say, one.

Captain Ahab, on the other hand...

3 he had a parrot
NUKe
_____________________________________