Too close to bother visiting => unexpected surprise

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Too close to bother visiting => unexpected surprise

Post by peetee »

They say that it's often the case that local attractions are the ones you leave to last or never bother to see at all.
What's near to you that you ignored for years, then visited and kicked yourself you never went sooner?
I will start:

Itchen Stoke church, Hampshire.
I have ridden and driven past this little gem a thousand times over the past 35 years, I even Included it in a painted montage for a college project, but it was only last year I went inside. And what I have missed!
A riot of decorated plaster, wood and tiles topped of by the most magnificent rose window that, on a sunny summer afternoon explodes with illuminated colour. In a cathedral this window would make anyone pause and contemplate it's grandeur but in such a diminutive village location its truly amazing.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Graham

Re: Too close to bother visiting => unexpected surprise

Post by Graham »

A similar situation, for me, discovering the bluebells in Joan's Acre Wood @ Hinton Ampner . . . .

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103935&p=1126104
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You read my mind, I had this thought about my museums thread, visited museums near home at the weekend, many people don't bother visiting the sights at home
Just walking round town looking closely is interesting too
The Watercress Line is always worth a visit for you two, and that queer bridge over the Itchen, if it is still there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
paddler

Post by paddler »

peetee wrote:They say that it's often the case that local attractions are the ones you leave to last or never bother to see at all.
What's near to you that you ignored for years, then visited and kicked yourself you never went sooner?
I will start:

Itchen Stoke church, Hampshire.
I have ridden and driven past this little gem a thousand times over the past 35 years, I even Included it in a painted montage for a college project, but it was only last year I went inside. And what I have missed!
A riot of decorated plaster, wood and tiles topped of by the most magnificent rose window that, on a sunny summer afternoon explodes with illuminated colour. In a cathedral this window would make anyone pause and contemplate it's grandeur but in such a diminutive village location its truly amazing.

Sounds great. Booton Church is worth a visit if you're ever in Norfolk.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It took me something like 15 years of living in this area before I got round to doing a walk that took in this burial chamber with its 40 ton capstone.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4821391

When you think of the tools available when it was put together it is staggering.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

pwa wrote:It took me something like 15 years of living in this area before I got round to doing a walk that took in this burial chamber with its 40 ton capstone.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4821391

When you think of the tools available when it was put together it is staggering.

I'm in Cardiff, must have been here 25 years before we did a walk that took in that one and this one https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4730590
That is despite visiting Dyffryn Gardens, in between the two, plenty of times
Richard M
Cardiff
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I lived only a few miles from the Royston cave for the majority of my life and never visited, pretty amazing place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLpuzVC85ak
https://www.roystoncave.co.uk/history

When I was living in Leeds and the Tour came to town I watched it on telly, I didn't fancy all the crowds.
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for cycling from home and avoiding TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My best man, Dave, lives in the Blackpool area. Has done all his life. He was my best man for our wedding in 1973!
He and his family still live there.

Having been brought up in Lancashire with my father's aunt Beth running a boarding house in Blackpool, we often stayed over and saw the sights and the illuminations etc. We went up Blackpool Tower a couple of times.

Me and the future Mrs Mick F visited Blackpool, and with Dave and his girlfriend (the future Mrs Dave) we went up the Tower. That was probably 1973 making me and Dave 21 years old.

Considering he had lived there all his life in sight of the Tower, it was the first time he had been up it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

And the last? May one ascend on foot, or only by lift?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A mate of mine maintained that his uncle climbed the Tower up the outside.
Normal people take the lifts. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

colin54 wrote:I lived only a few miles from the Royston cave for the majority of my life and never visited, pretty amazing place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLpuzVC85ak
https://www.roystoncave.co.uk/history

When I was living in Leeds and the Tour came to town I watched it on telly, I didn't fancy all the crowds.

I was brought up in Royston. I lived there from when I was about 3 until I left school at 17. I visited the cave once on a school trip
Richard M
Cardiff
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The Lancaster maritime museum. It's free to locals and I'm local enough to get in free, even work nearby but never been.! Son loves it. He's been a few times taken for free by his grandparents who also are local.

So my example is bad on two points. It's local and free. A third reason is that it's supposed to be a good local museum.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are hidden treasures in many town parks - miniature railways!
I have a book listing them, 'Tiny Trains'
Great for children of all ages
Some of my Favourites:
Downs Railway, Colwall
CMR, Kidderminster
Beer Heights Railway
At Didcot there is a miniature railway (short, not narrow) in broad gauge, 7'0 1/4"
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Visited a micro brewery thats only 10 miles from my house the other day ...very interesting . Apparently there are 115 micro breweries in Scotland now compared with only 35 eight years ago !! Something to do with craft beers becoming more popular .Mmm can see a theme for a cycle tour coming on !