scam calls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

scam calls

Post by ferrit worrier »

Had a call allegedly from BT saying my IP address had been compromised, interesting we're on SKY so I gave it the big red button. checked with sky 100% scam

anyone out there on BT beware.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
661-Pete

Re: scam calls

Post by 661-Pete »

Had one a few days ago, recorded voice saying my internet connection would be terminated later that same day.

At least, being a robot, no point in shouting insults at it....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
paddler

Post by paddler »

I'm an ex BT (Openreach) engineer, now with PlusNet. Been getting these for ages. Along with others. My wife always listens, but I just (metaphorically) slam the phone down!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't answer the phone.
Use an answer machine to do it for you.

End of scams 1.

Meanwhile, never give your mobile number to anyone other than friends/relations etc.
Set your mobile to reject any call from anyone not in your contacts list.

End of scams 2.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

My method is to start by asking them some "Security questions" the first being "What is my name?". That elicits one of two responses: either they put the phone down or they answer "I am sorry we are not allowed to tell you that"
:lol: :lol:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

peetee wrote:My method is to start by asking them some "Security questions" the first being "What is my name?". That elicits one of two responses: either they put the phone down or they answer "I am sorry we are not allowed to tell you that"
:lol: :lol:

tell them in a robot voice a trace is now active on the line & their wherabouts is being indentified.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Had one at lunch time and I just let it say what it wanted and then it dropped out.

Coincidentally, went to check my emails on my Mac and there was an email from BT telling me how to ignore scams and to report any to BT.com/Scams

How do I know that was a genuine message and link from BT?
rjb

Post by rjb »

The lunchtime R4 programme had a piece on the TV licence email scam doing the rounds. Several thousand people have been duped.
They wouldn't catch Mick. :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46765681
I keep a whistle near the phone for these calls, they don't ring back :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

We had an email purporting to be from our service provider.
Worded to the effect that they would be updating their/our security system and we would need to change our password.
The email did look genuine but rang a few bells when asked to change the password.
Got in touch with our provider and yes it was a "phishing" scam.
We also have had the BT scam both as an actual person calling but recently they have been recordings.
Another scam is a Morrisons invite to fill in a form and it will get you extra shopping points.

I sometimes will answer a call and bait them with some contrivance just for the fun of it.
I didn't know that a "lady", with an Asian accent, knew so many swear words. :shock: :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

These days, our landline hardly ever rings. That's through a combination of both of us having mobiles and being on the opt out lists. This week, we've had three "number withheld" calls claiming to be from BT and saying our internet termination would be terminated later in the day if we didn't do whatever it was that we didn't wait to hear before hanging up. It sounds like a recording in a weird accent. Today, there was a period of silence then "Goodbye" before they ended the call.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Don't spoil then fun

I had a call on my mobile today in our staff room.

A computer magazine offering me a reduced subscription.

So we discussed my needs, what I was interested in and so on. after about 10 minutes, I simply asked why they were so windows orientated, because I am totally Mac Based,..... they hung up
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

What do they actually want?
Hope to achieve?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont get scam calls ever but I do keep on getting emails trying to sell me prime land in the USA :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

PDQ Mobile wrote:What do they actually want?

They see money as a burden. They wish to relieve you of that burden.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have had a few that ask about an accident that wasn’t my fault. I can get a few minutes fun out of them but when I mention that the front wheel on my bicycle was buckled they hang up. The idea is that the longer you keep them talking the less profitable the scam becomes as most not interested people get off the line quickly allowing them to get to the gullible quicker.