Insulting advertising targeted at "Seniors"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Insulting advertising targeted at "Seniors"

Postby merseymouth » 7 Feb 2019, 1:08pm

Hi all, Am I alone it resorting to shouting at the TV when we have to suffer endless "Coffin Chaser Cover" ads???
Funeral ads, targeting us wrinklies, is to my way of thinking a form of ageist torture. I don't know about the mental health & wellbeing of our younger citizens, but those ads are certainly getting on my wick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
IGICB MM

kwackers

Re: "Seniors Insurance" Cr*p?

Postby kwackers » 7 Feb 2019, 1:14pm

Avoid watching programs aimed at old codgers.

Try childrens TV and watch the toy ads instead.

rjb

Postby rjb » 7 Feb 2019, 1:16pm

Insurance only benefits the provider, their profits pay the overheads like business rates, rent, keep people employed, pay for future growth and expansion and provide a dividend for shareholders, and also pay corporate taxes to the state. Everyone benefits paid for by the gullible. :lol:
You won't see me purchasing such products :)
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Feb 2019, 1:26pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Am I alone it resorting to shouting at the TV when we have to suffer endless "Coffin Chaser Cover" ads???
Funeral ads, targeting us wrinklies, is to my way of thinking a form of ageist torture. I don't know about the mental health & wellbeing of our younger citizens, but those ads are certainly getting on my wick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
IGICB MM

Just watch ther boring BBC?

Is Parkinson still doing it offering you a free gift, a Parker Pen was it? if you sign up?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Feb 2019, 1:52pm

Going off at a tangent, The Right Reverend Dr Jonathan Frost has recently been installed as Dean of York. At top job apparently, representing a promotion from his former office as a bishop. Anyway, when interviewed for the Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North regional news) he was very keen to stress how pleased he was to come to Yorkshire because of his heroes Messrs Parkinson and Boycott. Yuk. Spare us from professional Yorkshiremen. (Sithee.)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Feb 2019, 2:23pm

kwackers wrote:Avoid watching programs aimed at old codgers.

Try childrens TV and watch the toy ads instead.

My wife is a keen telly watcher and when HDD recorders were introduced I bought her one to replace a VHS recorder which was on the blink. This was "the last thing she wanted" but after several replacements, she wouldn't be without one because you can jump the ads when playing back. It's only when watching something as it's being transmitted that you realise how long the ads are, be they traditional "commercials" or the BBC's own endless self-promotion.

I mainly use it for the TdeF, so I can skip through the stuff with the bearded idiot on the bike. Do any of these advertisers ever calculate how much these ads detract from their brand?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 2:45pm

kwackers wrote: .......Try childrens TV and watch the toy ads instead.

That's good advise for the OP :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 7 Feb 2019, 6:11pm

Hi folk :) , I detect that a fair number on this forum follow the great line - "Growing Old is compulsory, Growing Up is optional"!
Works for me. :wink: MM

pliptrot

Postby pliptrot » 8 Feb 2019, 9:05am

I am rather glad it was mentioned up thread how some adverts detract from the brand. There are numerous adverts I have watched which have annoyed me to the point where I know I will avoid whatever is advertised just because....However, if UK commercial television upsets, try America. Or indeed anywhere else. In Germany we are obliged to pay for TV and radio transmission, irrespective of whether we even own any suitable equipment. It is more expensive than the UK TV license and all of it is utter drivel. I have not lived in The UK since 2003 but I listen to The BBC daily. And only The BBC.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Feb 2019, 9:48am

One simple way of skipping TV advertising is to record programs containing adverts then FF through them,I'm surprised anyone who such adverts annoy so much doesn't do it. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 8 Feb 2019, 10:21am

merseymouth wrote:Hi folk :) , I detect that a fair number on this forum follow the great line - "Growing Old is compulsory, Growing Up is optional"!
Works for me. :wink: MM

My own mantra is that there's a difference between being child-like and merely childish.

The difficulty is in demarcating the two.

Cugel, not grown up enough to wear suits & ties or beige clothing with an unfortunate stain here & there.

millimole

Postby millimole » 9 Feb 2019, 8:28pm

reohn2 wrote:One simple way of skipping TV advertising is to record programs containing adverts then FF through them,I'm surprised anyone who such adverts annoy so much doesn't do it. :)
This is one of the main reasons we never* watch any live TV.
(*6pm BBC news excepted)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 9 Feb 2019, 8:48pm

Cugel wrote:
Cugel, not grown up enough to wear suits & ties or beige clothing with an unfortunate stain here & there.

I have a long standing agreement with my family ... if i wear beige or a cardigan ... its time for that "unfortunate accident" moment. :roll:
Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right ... Carson.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

Cunobelin

Re: Insulting advertising targeted at "Seniors"

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Feb 2019, 9:41pm

Internet is better and worse.

I use Ad Blockers because I do not want to pay for the adverts.

However more and more sites block you if you use one.

Fine, I can find another site easily enough that does also their use.

Equally YouTube is more and more adverts. One I watched last week - over half was adverts.

Ironically I tend to avid stuff that annoys me like this, so in my case it achieves the opposite of what is intended

brynpoeth

Re:

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Feb 2019, 9:42am

pliptrot wrote:I am rather glad it was mentioned up thread how some adverts detract from the brand. There are numerous adverts I have watched which have annoyed me to the point where I know I will avoid whatever is advertised just because....However, if UK commercial television upsets, try America. Or indeed anywhere else. In Germany we are obliged to pay for TV and radio transmission, irrespective of whether we even own any suitable equipment. It is more expensive than the UK TV license and all of it is utter drivel

AND the 'Staatsfunk', state broadcaster, takes our money and takes paid advertising! I listen to the radio a bit, not complete rubbish but when someone is interviewed in English their voice is played quietly under the German translation, sometimes muzak is played at the same time so one understands nothing
And there are dozens of 'Staatsfunk' local stations playing cheap English/American music, one rarely hears Helene Fischer or Ludwig van :?
How do you keep up with what is going on in Germany?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life