Walking dogs in the dark

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer
Posts: 4200
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Walking dogs in the dark

Postby landsurfer » 7 Feb 2019, 7:25pm

We have a park behind us ... used to be fields but now a community park ...
There is a certain group of dog owners that only seem to walk their dogs in the dark ..late evening, early morning ..

Their not picking up the dog [inappropriate word removed] are they .....!

A park which we walk our westie in each day.. which even the youngest ( 7 ) will grab the poo bag and clean up is full of dog [inappropriate word removed] .... The dog walkers in the dark ... ?
How can they clear up ?

Impossible !
RSF.
Audax UK.
The road goes on forever.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1645
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Ben@Forest » 7 Feb 2019, 8:02pm

landsurfer wrote:We have a park behind us ... used to be fields but now a community park ...
There is a certain group of dog owners that only seem to walk their dogs in the dark ..late evening, early morning ..

Their not picking up the dog <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> are they .....!

A park which we walk our westie in each day.. which even the youngest ( 7 ) will grab the poo bag and clean up is full of dog <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> .... The dog walkers in the dark ... ?
How can they clear up ?

Impossible !


By wearing a head torch? I know someone who owns a campsite and it is fitted with night time surveillance cameras. He sees campers take their dogs out at night to allow them to defecate and then they don't clean up the mess. And he suspects it's because they want to be able to 'get away with it'.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4389
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Feb 2019, 9:51pm

It's not nice and we don't leave dog poo when walking our dog in the dark. Walking out in the dark is a necessity to take a bit of the energy out centre settling down for the dark at this time of the year. Our dog needs two walks a day being a terrier, possibly more or longer ones.

I have no doubt that we have missed spotting it doing its business in the dark. It takes a few seconds so it's easily possible. However we do try our best to limit such cases and get annoyed at dog mess on the dog walking circuits we go on round where we live.

There really isn't any excuse. Bins at regular intervals. If you're out in the dark then surely you'd have a torch of some kind and you'll be watching your dog more than in daylight anyway. I mean a dog can easily disappear in the dark but in the light you'll more likely see it going off to do its business.

On the canal towpath they had a clear up organised a few years back. That was before we got our dog but it was attended by a few of the locals who owned dogs. They were as annoyed with it as anyone.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5272
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Feb 2019, 9:54pm

As said, by wearing a head torch.

pwa
Posts: 8764
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby pwa » 7 Feb 2019, 10:42pm

Bonefishblues wrote:As said, by wearing a head torch.

I have walked dogs in the dark, on a lead, and used a torch for locating and removing poo. I'm not saying the dog walkers in question are doing that, but some of us do. A late night walk with a dog can be a great way to wind down.

reohn2
Posts: 32489
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2019, 11:09pm

We were on Devizes Camping and Caravan Club site last year and saw that some kind soul had let their dog defecate on the flagged area outside of the reception block!
I asked the warden about the incident and was told it happens on a regular basis somewhere on the site!
Where I live I see it on almost every street corner when out for a walk.

Where there's a will there's a way but It's some people who simply don't give a sh.. you know what. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13272
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby gaz » 7 Feb 2019, 11:33pm

A few years back I used to encounter a regular after dark dog walker.

He'd be walking two of them along the road on leads, out of the driver's side window of his car.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5272
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Feb 2019, 8:20am

pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:As said, by wearing a head torch.

I have walked dogs in the dark, on a lead, and used a torch for locating and removing poo. I'm not saying the dog walkers in question are doing that, but some of us do. A late night walk with a dog can be a great way to wind down.

Agreed. Once the necessary has been done, as it were, we go into a couple of fields where they can be let off the lead, lit by the mini strobe lights on their collars.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4389
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Tangled Metal » 8 Feb 2019, 8:32am

One of those throwing sticks with a flashing light ball is also good for field exercise in the dark. Just that our dog doesn't return so we get the exercise too. Need to follow where the ball ends up n before the light goes out or it's lost.

There's a large dog or dogs round our way that is always allowed to mess right in the middle of the path or towpath. It is a lot of mess so I think it must be the size of a Shetland pony. I cannot understand how the owner missed that but unless he / she has a shovel and bin bag for it they're not going to easily get it up.

Another tip for dog owners. Take a bottle of water with you. Dogs get upset stomachs from time to time. This makes it nearly impossible to scoop the poop. The water will at least wash it away a bit.

My gran lived in a built up area. To get to any park meant several streets walked first. So she taught her dog to do its business in the gutter of the road. That was both kinds. It was also back when people didn't scoop. Back then dog poop was not identified as being a health risk only not very nice to step on. She stopped owning a dog before it became socially expected to scoop.

peetee
Posts: 1029
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby peetee » 8 Feb 2019, 9:32am

If they can't see the dog pooing then they probably won't see other poo before they stand in it. It's difficult enough in daylight with leaves on the ground.
Our local open space is terrible for dog mess. You often seen comparable sized piles in the same area which suggests it's repeat offenders.
What I really can't understand is the phantom poo bag slingers. There are poo parcels hanging in trees and bushes everywhere.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

pwa
Posts: 8764
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby pwa » 8 Feb 2019, 9:40am

peetee wrote:If they can't see the dog pooing then they probably won't see other poo before they stand in it. It's difficult enough in daylight with leaves on the ground.
Our local open space is terrible for dog mess. You often seen comparable sized piles in the same area which suggests it's repeat offenders.
What I really can't understand is the phantom poo bag slingers. There are poo parcels hanging in trees and bushes everywhere.

Again, probably one or two repeat offenders. I used to maintain the grounds of a historic site and dog poo was an issue. But I observed that most dog walkers were picking up and taking it away. One or two regular visitors were not. And day after day that adds up.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8010
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby 661-Pete » 8 Feb 2019, 1:44pm

peetee wrote:What I really can't understand is the phantom poo bag slingers. There are poo parcels hanging in trees and bushes everywhere.
That's very much, my gripe too. Not helped by the fact that the dog-bins are often full to overflowing (!) and never seem to get emptied. Makes me mutter the mantra "plastics are forever. But poo is only temporary".

Personally, I'd prefer it if dog-walkers, in the countryside at least, took along a little trowel and buried the stuff - day or night. Just so long as it's off the path...

Come to think of it, dogs naturally tend to bury their own droppings, don't they? I often see dogs kicking up the earth after a 'performance'. Maybe years of coddling and domestication have caused them to lose the instinct...
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

peetee
Posts: 1029
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby peetee » 8 Feb 2019, 2:28pm

661-Pete wrote:
peetee wrote:What I really can't understand is the phantom poo bag slingers. There are poo parcels hanging in trees and bushes everywhere.
That's very much, my gripe too. Not helped by the fact that the dog-bins are often full to overflowing (!) and never seem to get emptied. Makes me mutter the mantra "plastics are forever. But poo is only temporary".

Personally, I'd prefer it if dog-walkers, in the countryside at least, took along a little trowel and buried the stuff - day or night. Just so long as it's off the path...

Come to think of it, dogs naturally tend to bury their own droppings, don't they? I often see dogs kicking up the earth after a 'performance'. Maybe years of coddling and domestication have caused them to lose the instinct...


I seem to remember hearing that they were doing the exact opposite by scattering the stuff over a wide area to spread their scent. :cry:
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4389
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Tangled Metal » 8 Feb 2019, 9:47pm

The scratching is after micturating and it marks the ground where the scent was left. So called scent marking. It's not after defecating. Dogs don't bury feaces they just do it and move on.

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 177
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Wrexham

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Postby Patrickpioneer » 10 Feb 2019, 7:11am

I see a lot of this too, people not picking up the poo in the dark because they can get away with it. No excuse, most now carry a phone that is also a torch. Just got back from my dog walking me, I always pick up the poo especially in the winter because then I can warm my hands on the bag.
Pat