Taking flak

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Taking flak

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Feb 2019, 10:01am

cycleruk wrote:I would expect there are a number of people on the forum who, at school, were subjected to spelling tests.
So when we see a mistake we want to put it right. It does erk a little bit when I see misspellings on the forum, but then we all can't be perfect.
( I had to check that misspellings is an actual word.) :roll:

I'd be irked, too.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Feb 2019, 10:05am

Hi,
cycleruk wrote:I would expect there are a number of people on the forum who, at school, were subjected to spelling tests.
So when we see a mistake we want to put it right. It does erk a little bit when I see misspellings on the forum, but then we all can't be perfect.

Is the spellchecker on this forum on the website check site or are own device?
As far as I know most software English uses American English?
Some words it won’t recognise Used in English concise?
I’m also guilty of forcing my own words spelt my own way, slang.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Feb 2019, 10:08am

You see, spelt to me always means flour, but it's perfikly acceptable as you use it. Personal proclivities and all that.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Feb 2019, 10:11am

Bonefishblues wrote:You see, spelt to me always means flour, but it's perfikly acceptable as you use it. Personal proclivities and all that.

Awe reet flower?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Feb 2019, 10:22am

Time for a short interlude:- https://youtu.be/hpzPmDtkeRo
I cycle therefore I am.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Feb 2019, 10:28am

Hi
“aye up“ Is what my workmate used to say to me every time I exited my chair :?
As I was propelled myself Out of my chair into a standing position with my hands, just before I shot through the office accelerating up to 8 mph :lol:

When questioning him on this he said it’s what gymnastics Used to say as a hoist Thefr partner in to A handstand Not that I was never much of a gymnast.

Is that saying first line ever use today?
Not that it is correct in this case.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 8 Feb 2019, 10:37am

Hi there, If you think "Roberta" is a lovely name be prepared to take the "Flack"! My wife's favourite song is "Killing Me Softly" by that lovely lady.
Mentioning "Tire" reminds me of that TA joke - Why do bikes keep falling over? Because they are two TIRED. Groan. IGICB MM

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 8 Feb 2019, 10:40am

I've mulled this over before sticking my oar in again. I've done the math and had a headcount of my own posts to avoid getting caught out with egg on my face. The score is flak 18, flack 1. The fact that I have literally trotted this metaphor out as regular as clockwork may signal that it's a well-worn cliché long past its sell-by date and overdue for being put out of its misery. This is underlined by a general search highlighting the fact that tons of forum users utilise the "flack" embodiment which has come under the spotlight here. At the end of the day, we have a workmanlike stand-in the perfectly good English jargon. One fly in the ointment is that it's tripe to come out with "Come under anti-aircraft fire." And "flak" is only four letters long, so it's just the job for hacks rustling up headlines.

PS One of my early secondary school English reports referred to my use of clichés. And now I have er, time on my hands to kill.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Feb 2019, 10:44am

TC,you really sexed up that post :shock:
I cycle therefore I am.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 8 Feb 2019, 10:53am

A word I hear a lot at work from the younger members. The word "bray". As in "I'll bray her" meaning knock her out. To me the word bray is what donkeys do.

You probably know that phone autocorrect can be set to UK English, right? Just like you can set ms office to UK English too.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 8 Feb 2019, 11:11am

When I was at school people would bray someone or get brayed. Wasn’t so much as getting knocked out but closer to beration with, often, some physical hitting.

Of course we had braid on our blazer and I no longer live at the top of the brae.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Feb 2019, 11:20am

Hi,
Tangled Metal wrote:A word I hear a lot at work from the younger members. The word "bray". As in "I'll bray her" meaning knock her out. To me the word bray is what donkeys do.

You probably know that phone autocorrect can be set to UK English, right? Just like you can set ms office to UK English too.

No I didn’t thanks I go looking .

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 8 Feb 2019, 11:22am

Bonefishblues wrote:

I'd be irked, too.

Neva wos any gudd. :oops: :(
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gfs4sd76E

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Feb 2019, 11:47am

cycleruk wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

I'd be irked, too.

Neva wos any gudd. :oops: :(

Our language makes fools of us all* from time to time :D

* or is it all of us? :? :lol:

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 8 Feb 2019, 12:33pm

thirdcrank wrote:This is underlined by a general search highlighting the fact that tons of forum users utilise the "flack" embodiment which has come under the spotlight here. At the end of the day, we have a workmanlike stand-in the perfectly good English jargon. One fly in the ointment is that it's tripe to come out with "Come under anti-aircraft fire." And "flak" is only four letters long, so it's just the job for hacks rustling up headlines.

From reading Biggles books l remember that in WW1 flak/AAA was called 'archie'. God knows why - well l suppose Google does...