Britain's 'angriest town.'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9053
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Feb 2019, 9:43pm

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
No ... non at all ...

But surely that's what the thread is all about,whether the people of Tavistock's complaints against the building of a hotel chain branch in their town are valid.
That IMO should be their choice.


Do the people of Tavistock have a say in every new business that comes to town ... thats a lot of referendums .. and of course the second referendum if they don't give the right result ... :lol:


Except they would know what they were voting for?

landsurfer
Posts: 4534
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby landsurfer » 9 Feb 2019, 9:53pm

Cunobelin wrote:
Except they would know what they were voting for?


Would they ... would they really...... their probably stupid working class folk .... just a protest vote .... don't realise the reality of the event .. :lol: :lol: :D
The Road Goes on Forever.

reohn2
Posts: 34356
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2019, 1:03am

landsurfer wrote:Do the people of Tavistock have a say in every new business that comes to town....

They have an LA who have to go through a process of asking the residents if they think there's any objections to the building of a new business,the residents can then object or not,if there's enough valid objections then the LA refuse permission to build.
That's the due process by which things get done.

...that's a lot of referendums... and of course a second referendum if they don't give the same result :lol:
You seem to have wandered off the Brexit thread by mistake,I should have rethink of your thread posts :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 34356
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2019, 1:08am

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Except they would know what they were voting for?


Would they ... would they really...... their probably stupid working class folk .... just a protest vote .... don't realise the reality of the event .. :lol: :lol: :D

Perhaps more than half of residents,once they've had a think about the consequences and took the time to educate themselves,realise it's not such a good idea after all and the town will be worse off as a result.
Maybe they realise not all progress is necessarily good progress if it robs local hotels and B&B's of their business when the profits of such a hotel go out of the local area into a multinational faceless conglomerate elsewhere.
Maybe the locals realise that local business profits stay local and get spent in Tavistock and the surrounding area,maybe the locals arent so stupid after all.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9860
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Feb 2019, 7:46am

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
No ... non at all ...

But surely that's what the thread is all about,whether the people of Tavistock's complaints against the building of a hotel chain branch in their town are valid.
That IMO should be their choice.


Do the people of Tavistock have a say in every new business that comes to town ... thats a lot of referendums .. and of course the second referendum if they don't give the right result ... :lol:

Double that, let them vote on businesses that want to close :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Canuk » 10 Feb 2019, 8:13am

landsurfer wrote:
Canuk wrote:You are. You could get a top quality sole occupancy Airbnb apartment anywhere in the UK outside of Kingdom for about half of that. I can recommend you half a dozen countrywide if you want..


As long as that Airbnb has good showers, towels changed every day and a nearby source of food for my mechanical fitting teams ... Most Airbnb refuse access to contractors.


That might have been the case a few years ago, but as competition has increased more and more Airbnbers are very keen to get longer occupancies with more secure revenue, especially out of season September to April. You should have another crack at them.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9053
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Feb 2019, 8:32am

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Except they would know what they were voting for?


Would they ... would they really...... their probably stupid working class folk .... just a protest vote .... don't realise the reality of the event .. :lol: :lol: :D




.... or that they had just voted to increase all prices by 44%

landsurfer
Posts: 4534
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby landsurfer » 10 Feb 2019, 9:08am

Cunobelin wrote:
... or that they had just voted to increase all prices by 44%



Ah Ha ... Project fear arrives in Tavistock ..... Things are going to be so bad that a national hotel chain wants to build a new hotel .... :roll:
The Road Goes on Forever.

PH
Posts: 6997
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby PH » 10 Feb 2019, 1:20pm

Does the council have to give grounds for rejecting a planning application? Some of the objections highlighted in some reports are that it'll take away much needed car parking space! I'm sure we could all find something to object to in any town plan, that ought to be what we have councillors for.
I like budget hotels, I know what I'm getting, can arrive at unsocial hours, take the bike in with me, don't feel like I'm intruding in someone's home and of course cheaper than most alternatives. It's often a case of such a place or not staying, I have one booked for after an Audax at Easter, I'll ride home the next day and the choice was the Travelodge or the train home. I haven't stayed in many B&B's that were doing much for local suppliers, those that were charged a premium for it.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9053
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Feb 2019, 1:30pm

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
... or that they had just voted to increase all prices by 44%



Ah Ha ... Project fear arrives in Tavistock ..... Things are going to be so bad that a national hotel chain wants to build a new hotel .... :roll:



Project Fear..... the tool for dismissing things without putting forward any coherent argument , evidence or discussion

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5034
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Sweep » 11 Feb 2019, 10:27pm

Cunobelin wrote:These always remind me of Lymington

When Woolworths folded, Wetherspoons wanted to take over the premises.

However it would lower the tone of the town, was undesirable and definitely not fitting in with the culture of Lymington

So Eighteen months down the line, they had that much more cultured, respectable business that fits in so well with the up market Town


Image


:)

sometimes wonder whether this is why my home town doesn't have a spoons.

I'd welcome it.

And hell, my favourite pub in that town had a landlord who reputedly kept a baseball bat behind the bar.
Sweep

PH
Posts: 6997
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby PH » 13 Feb 2019, 11:03pm

I see the council have rejected the plans.
While I have no particular interest in whether Tavistock got a Premier Inn, the idea that what looks like a small group can lobby hard enough for councillors to change their mind makes me uneasy. Councillors should be doing what they believe to be right and sometimes that will make them unpopular. For example if they need to appease those who shout loudest, we’ll never see decent cycling provision.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5034
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Sweep » 14 Feb 2019, 2:02pm

PH wrote:I see the council have rejected the plans.
While I have no particular interest in whether Tavistock got a Premier Inn, the idea that what looks like a small group can lobby hard enough for councillors to change their mind makes me uneasy. Councillors should be doing what they believe to be right and sometimes that will make them unpopular. For example if they need to appease those who shout loudest, we’ll never see decent cycling provision.


+1
Sweep

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45315
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby Mick F » 16 Feb 2019, 9:31am

philvantwo wrote:Not far away from where the great Mick F lives?
Chatting about this in the pub yesterday.

It's a joke.

Same as the new housing scheme near here being bought by Birmingham city council .............. later altered to Newcastle. :lol:
Joke as well.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2
Posts: 34356
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Postby reohn2 » 16 Feb 2019, 9:46am

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Not far away from where the great Mick F lives?
Chatting about this in the pub yesterday.

It's a joke.

Same as the new housing scheme near here being bought by Birmingham city council .............. later altered to Newcastle. :lol:
Joke as well.

Care to elaborate?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.