Britain's Most Boring Town

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Britain's Most Boring Town

Postby Oldjohnw » 11 Feb 2019, 10:22am

If a small town had a world famous classical music venue some would call it the most boring town. Others would count themeselves lucky to live there.
John

Cycling and recycling

PH

Postby PH » 11 Feb 2019, 11:32am

Canuk wrote:
Try posting a link that says 650 million meals served in France each year, because it didn't exist in any of your previous 5 years out of date references...

https://frenchly.us/french-paradox-mcdo ... -new-york/

Like I said, it isn’t hard
What a shame the moderator has to keep deleting your personal nastiness, I’d rather it stayed in place, it’s not me it hurts.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 11 Feb 2019, 12:42pm

Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 11 Feb 2019, 1:07pm

100%JR wrote:Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

Ipresume you didn't make the short distance further to Prestatyn? (Birthplace of Baron Two Jags.)

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 11 Feb 2019, 1:17pm

thirdcrank wrote:
100%JR wrote:Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

Ipresume you didn't make the short distance further to Prestatyn? (Birthplace of Baron Two Jags.)

We were (supposed) to be staying in Prestatyn.It was a last minute booking with friends.They booked us all in at Pontins on IIRC a Sun deal.Cost £38 Mon-Fri and that was too much....absolutely hideous place.Looked like a Prison.We only stayed one night in the end.Never again :| Only briefly saw both towns and we went to Betws-Y-Coed instead.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 11 Feb 2019, 2:18pm

pliptrot wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Ditto most of the country villages round here on a Sunday.
Yes, but you have the BBC to compensate. We have German TV and radio.

The BBC? Dear sir, look to the right-hand column.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 11 Feb 2019, 2:55pm

100%JR wrote: ... We were (supposed) to be staying in Prestatyn.It was a last minute booking with friends.They booked us all in at Pontins on IIRC a Sun deal.Cost £38 Mon-Fri and that was too much....absolutely hideous place.Looked like a Prison.We only stayed one night in the end.Never again :| Only briefly saw both towns and we went to Betws-Y-Coed instead.

Some years ago, my wife got a sudden inking to go Christmas shopping in Chester and stay a couple of nights. At short notice at that time of year, we had to get in where we could and the hotel was depressing and made worse by a big office party. Trailing around the shops on the Saturday, my wife hurt her leg which reduced her mobility a bit so on the Sunday - probably before the days of Sunday opening - we did a bit of exploring and ended up in Prestatyn. To be fair, you can't really expect much from a UK seaside resort in Winter but it was grim. I've a feeling that at some stage the holiday camp in Prestatyn was briefly used as prison overflow accommodation - perhaps when Michael Howard was Home Secretary. :?: If so, probably the target of a human rights case on degrading punishments. :lol: When unsuccessfully checking for a reference to that, I saw that Carol Vorderman comes from there.

Re Betws-Y-Coed, it used to be on our regular route through Wales going on holiday, when our children were primary school age and they referred to it as "Bet you wish you could." If the alternative were to be Prestatyn I think that would be fair enough.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Feb 2019, 3:00pm

Never visit Withernsea. Rhyll is a quality holiday park compared to that.

Interestingly the first use of a taser type of device in the UK was in police trials held in humberside and specifically Withernsea. A local copper recognised a local n'er do well with outstanding warrant going into a phone booth. In going to arrest him the coppers took into account his history of carrying knives. So the took no chances and zapped him. I seem to recall it wasn't the right guy but that could be wrong.

I guess that makes it less than dull by a small margin.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Feb 2019, 7:59pm

Audax67 wrote:
pliptrot wrote:If you want a boring town, try any German town with a population of less than 50,000 on a Sunday.

Ditto most of the country villages round here on a Sunday. The only advantage is that you're through and out the other side PDQ.

Bautzen is not boring, or Tangermuende, or dozens of others, if one is interested in history culture museums, quiet not boring, fortunately the shops are shut on Sundays :D
There is some good boring cycling in Germany, by the Elbe, just lots of nowt to see, Plus One

What about small towns in the UK, is Ludlow boring?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Feb 2019, 9:28pm

Small towns probably get boring the longer you live there. If you're a visitor they're interesting for the short time you're there.

Anyone want to visit milnethorpe, Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Caton or the little hamlet of Quernmore? Or that old plague village nearby whose name I can't remember right now.

There's interest in everywhere just don't hang around for long in some places, possibly most places, or you'll lose interest.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 11 Feb 2019, 11:52pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Small towns probably get boring the longer you live there. If you're a visitor they're interesting for the short time you're there.

Anyone want to visit milnethorpe, Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Caton or the little hamlet of Quernmore? Or that old plague village nearby whose name I can't remember right now.

There's interest in everywhere just don't hang around for long in some places, possibly most places, or you'll lose interest.

Plague village.Eyam in Derbyshire?

We call in at Kirby Lonsdale on our way up to the lakes.Have done for years.We used to ride up to Devils Bridge on the motorbikes every Sunday too.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Feb 2019, 12:18am

There's plague villages around the country. There's one in the forest of Bowland area or Lune valley somewhere. I can't remember it but I read it in a book or leaflet of walking route near here. Can't find it to get the name.