Britain's Most Boring Town

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Britain's Most Boring Town

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:We went for a "night out" in Tavistock yesterday. We went to the movies. :D
Last bus?
18:30
What time is your "last bus" home from town?

I have no last bus, though the frequency drops form a choice every few minutes to two an hour after 11pm.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:We went for a "night out" in Tavistock yesterday. We went to the movies. :D
Last bus?

I have no last bus, though the frequency drops form a choice every few minutes to two an hour after 11pm.

My last bus is also my first bus or to put it another way the only bus.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote: ............ the world famous concrete cows.
What about the concrete sheep of Hatherleigh?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.82022 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Canuk wrote:Preston.

The bus station to be specific.

Preston bus station is a wonderful building.

The council of course tried to knock it down recently until prevented. fortunately, by a listing.

Not too long ago it was - quite rightly - featured in an architectural exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts, London.

I fear you don't know Preston very well - there's some interesting buildings there.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote:Never visit Withernsea. Rhyll is a quality holiday park compared to that.

Interestingly the first use of a taser type of device in the UK was in police trials held in humberside and specifically Withernsea. A local copper recognised a local n'er do well with outstanding warrant going into a phone booth. In going to arrest him the coppers took into account his history of carrying knives. So the took no chances and zapped him. I seem to recall it wasn't the right guy but that could be wrong.

I guess that makes it less than dull by a small margin.

Isn't withernsea out on a limb somewhat? How did you end up there?

Trust that copper got a telling off, or more.

Haven't been to Ryhl in years - holidayed near there as a kid once.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sjs wrote:
100%JR wrote:Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

Back in the '70s the local buses (Midland General?) in Ilkeston, Derbyshire used to advertise day trips to Rhyl. Perhaps they still do. Ilkeston is not boring; more grimly fascinating, in common with many of the ex-mining communities in the area (D. H. Lawrence country).

Knew a woman at university, later shared a house with her, who came from Ilkeston.

She went on about it so much as if it was a wonderland I swear I pretty much developed an inferiority complex through not having been born there.
Sweep
sjs

Post by sjs »

Sweep wrote:Knew a woman at university, later shared a house with her, who came from Ilkeston.

She went on about it so much as if it was a wonderland I swear I pretty much developed an inferiority complex through not having been born there.

Are you sure she wasn't joking? To be fair though the contrast with anywhere one might go to university would be so great that it could cause homesickness to anyone prone to it. I don't go there very often these days, but it seems worse than it was in the 70's. Empty shops, derelict pubs, etc. The Ilkeston Advertiser is a good occasional online read.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No she wasn't joking.

It wasn't home-sickness either as she definitely enjoyed london.

Years later I was driving somewhere with work and saw a sign to it so I just had to do the detour.

A rather odd experience after the tales I had heard.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote: ............ the world famous concrete cows.
What about the concrete sheep of Hatherleigh?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.82022 ... 312!8i6656

Interesting, but not in the same World famous class as the MK cows, I doubt they've ever been kidnapped or had pyjamas painted on them.
On a similar theme - I took a coach down to Devon earlier this month and was glad to see the return of Humphrey the camel near Bridgwater
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/som ... el-2370188
Though I was also disappointing that the Willow Man doesn't look so big now the area around him has been built on.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Some very good bicycles were made at Ilkeston, so it cannae be the boringest town
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Some very good bicycles were made at Ilkeston, so it cannae be the boringest town

We didn't say it was boring. Home of Dave Brailsford and birthplace of Robert Lindsay. Just over the valley from Eastwood, home of D H Lawrence. How could it be boring?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sjs wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Some very good bicycles were made at Ilkeston, so it cannae be the boringest town

We didn't say it was boring. Home of Dave Brailsford and birthplace of Robert Lindsay. Just over the valley from Eastwood, home of D H Lawrence. How could it be boring?

:)
That aforesaid woman went on and on about lawrence as well.

Wonderfully satirised if course in that great short-lived series "brass".

Edit, the smiley wasn't aimed at you sjs, was just me remembering her going on and on, ilkeston counterpointed with lawrence, on and on.
Last edited by Sweep on 25 Feb 2019, 6:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:
Last bus?

My last bus is also my first bus or to put it another way the only bus.

What's a bus? :shock:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:What's a bus? :shock:
I think it's one of these:
Been waiting ages at the bus-stop....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

A coach surely?

I think you're just horsing around. :?
(nice pic though)