Britain's Most Boring Town

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hobbs1951

Re: Britain's Most Boring Town

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Some very good bicycles were made at Ilkeston, so it cannae be the boringest town

I went there and ordered one in late 1985, it was then and I'm sure it is now.

J.

N.B they didn't make bicycles, they hand crafted frames !
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

sjs wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Some very good bicycles were made at Ilkeston, so it cannae be the boringest town

We didn't say it was boring. Home of Dave Brailsford and birthplace of Robert Lindsay. Just over the valley from Eastwood, home of D H Lawrence. How could it be boring?

The home of D H Lawrence ! He couldn't leave soon enough.

J.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bielefeld in Germany is so boring, many people suspect it does not exist
With typical German humour the city uses this suspicion to market itself

I think it does exist, I think I have been there, it is interesting, I think :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

To some extent boredom is a feature of the person experiencing it, rather than the environment they find themselves in. I get bored in London. This isn't a criticism of London, but it shows how the person has as much part to play as the environment. I hate the constant noise of the traffic, the crowds and the queues, so something in my head shuts down. I'm just thinking I have X hours to go before I can get out. I'm counting down the hours and minutes. So I'm bored. Other people get bored in countryside, probably for similar personal reasons.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote:To some extent boredom is a feature of the person experiencing it, rather than the environment they find themselves in. I get bored in London. This isn't a criticism of London, but it shows how the person has as much part to play as the environment. I hate the constant noise of the traffic, the crowds and the queues, so something in my head shuts down. I'm just thinking I have X hours to go before I can get out. I'm counting down the hours and minutes. So I'm bored. Other people get bored in countryside, probably for similar personal reasons.

I know what you mean about a lot of it being in the head.

Plenty of quiet peaceful spots in London though pwa - many right in the centre.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I once spent a night in a place called Sevenoaks. A truly dreary place. A week in Woking once when I was on a course. It's another dreary, dismal place.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Re: Most Boring Town in Germany?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Giessen is an ordinary university town somewhere in Germany
A garden festival took place there, to create excitement a museum of Giesskannen, watering cans, was opened
('Giessen' is also a verb: to water/irrigate)

Cannae be bothered checking but I bet Giessen has other claims to fame
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies