Britain's Most Boring Town

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hobbs1951

Re: Britain's Most Boring Town

Post by Hobbs1951 »

...it's not the place's fault...

J.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There are worse things for a town to be than boring. It isn't the prime function of a town to entertain and excite. That may matter if the town is meant to be a visitor attraction, but many towns aren't. My nearest middle sized town is a bit drab. You would go in to pick up something from Boots and visit the Halifax to drop a cheque in, but you wouldn't go for a good time. It is safe, it is convenient and it is fine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Halifax is interesting

Never been there mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:In the mid 90's Mcdonalds in a flurry of press and TV adverts opened 25 outlets simultaneously in France, at doubtless a considerable investment.

The next day the French government promptly shut them all down again, claiming that their promises to use only French meat /poultry, cheese and beer were reneged upon.

They stayed shut for a week, until Mcdonalds capitulated (at some expense given the cost of home grown near and poultry). To this day you'll see French flags all over Mcdonalds. They know what sides their parties are buttered on.

I believe in the uk they can source meat and cheese from whichever crap hole, chicken bleaching part of the world they feel like /is most profitable. You get the cuisine you deserve.

But they dont. I seem to remember reading the Big Mac meat burgers are sourced from Uk/Irish beef
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:
Canuk wrote:I believe in the uk they can source meat and cheese from whichever crap hole, chicken bleaching part of the world they feel like /is most profitable. You get the cuisine you deserve.

But they dont. I seem to remember reading the Big Mac meat burgers are sourced from Uk/Irish beef

All their eggs, pork and milk is British/Irish sourced too. But for someone wearing tricolour coloured glasses the UK always looks bad.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anytown is boring if one lives there long enough?

Have to admit I've reached that conclusion! I've been resident in a stunning town for just over ten years; medieval town centre, open moors a mile from the centre, stunning beaches a 4 mile walk away, incredible walks though the Dukes parklands / pastures FOC, excellent connections by bus, train and c*^%%%^, superb facilities such as an empty Olympic sized swimming pool & gym a 5 minute walk away. Perhaps the only thing missing is a decent bakers - though with excitement I saw from the bus the other day, that a superb Yorkshire Bakery has opened a branch just 25 miles South :D (Nb. A new rationale for a ride in that direction).

But realized by 2013 I'd covered every road within a 40 mile radius. By 2017 was happy to accept a short period awayy from the area with work, primarily to have a change of scene. And now that decent cycling weather is approaching, I do feel like a change :? (Nb. Have found myself for 4-5 years now doing the first 20-30 miles of the ride through tedious terrain, in order to have a day cycling in a diffferent landscape - thinking tomorrow/Saturday of jumping on the train with the bike to head a hundred miles South)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Please to disagree with gbnz and myself :?
Lived in the same town 16 years, it is boring (familiar) but I have started to look more closely at the old buildings, thousands, just got interesting again :wink:
I don't have many different cycling routes but I look at weather, seasons, colours, every ride is different

Planning to move somewhere new and exciting on retirement and do more cycling
What town is most unboring (exciting) town?
Scarborough? Rhyl?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please to disagree with gbnz and myself :?
Lived in the same town 16 years, it is boring (familiar) but I have started to look more closely at the old buildings, thousands, just got interesting again :wink:
I don't have many different cycling routes but I look at weather, seasons, colours, every ride is different

Scarborough? Rhyl?

Ilkeston
sjs

Post by sjs »

sjs wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Please to disagree with gbnz and myself :?

Scarborough? Rhyl?

Ilkeston

Hadn't occurred to me when I suggested it, but Dave Brailsford lives there. Even more exciting.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What town is most unboring (exciting) town?
Scarborough? Rhyl?

Harrogate has a lot going for it. A history as a spa town, some nice architecture, a huge protected green space, cinema, theatre, rail station, not far from Leeds or York, restaurants, a good tourist trade enhanced by the conferencing trade; though that does mean that nearly every Victorian villa is a B&B.

Also has the Great Yorkshire Showground for events and the RHS Harlow Carr Gardens, not far to the Nidderdale AONB and the Dales. Whenever l go past their rather sad looking football ground though l always think Harrogate (with 150 000 people) should be doing rather better than the fifth(?) tier of the football league.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Harrogate has a big problem with motor traffic and futile attempts to deal with it have arguably made it worse. From a cycling POV, jams are ideal if you are ok with the fumes, but urban routes which have turned Victorian streets into one-way systems are not.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:Harrogate has a big problem with motor traffic and futile attempts to deal with it have arguably made it worse. From a cycling POV, jams are ideal if you are ok with the fumes, but urban routes which have turned Victorian streets into one-way systems are not.

Fred Trueman apparently said Harrogate is a little bit of Yorkshire that is forever Surrey. It's certainly a Hyacinth Bucket sort of place.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gbnz wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Anytown is boring if one lives there long enough?

Have to admit I've reached that conclusion! I've been resident in a stunning town for just over ten years; medieval town centre, open moors a mile from the centre, stunning beaches a 4 mile walk away, incredible walks though the Dukes parklands / pastures FOC, excellent connections by bus, train and c*^%%%^, superb facilities such as an empty Olympic sized swimming pool & gym a 5 minute walk away. Perhaps the only thing missing is a decent bakers - though with excitement I saw from the bus the other day, that a superb Yorkshire Bakery has opened a branch just 25 miles South :D (Nb. A new rationale for a ride in that direction).

But realized by 2013 I'd covered every road within a 40 mile radius. By 2017 was happy to accept a short period awayy from the area with work, primarily to have a change of scene. And now that decent cycling weather is approaching, I do feel like a change :? (Nb. Have found myself for 4-5 years now doing the first 20-30 miles of the ride through tedious terrain, in order to have a day cycling in a diffferent landscape - thinking tomorrow/Saturday of jumping on the train with the bike to head a hundred miles South)

And it's also well known for making fishing tackle?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

pete75 wrote:And it's also well known for making fishing tackle?

Fishing tackle: well, the finest rods were made by a company in Poole, company founded in Ware - one of the UKs finest rod designers was co-director.

John
Traditional Fisherman.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
pete75 wrote:And it's also well known for making fishing tackle?

Fishing tackle: well, the finest rods were made by a company in Poole, company founded in Ware - one of the UKs finest rod designers was co-director.

John
Traditional Fisherman.

I was thinking of Hardy, their products are usually considered to be amongst the very best.