Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gaz

Re: Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Post by gaz »

If I perceive a breach of forum rules I consider reporting it. Swearing, potentially libelous comments, trolling/accusations of trolling, personal attacks, off topic posts, spam, returning banned posters, the list goes on.

The consideration process involves my own perception of the transgression, action/inaction by the mods following similar previous reports and feedback received/not received in such circumstances. I do not report everything I see.

I've no gripes about the moderation on these boards, neither policy nor practice.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I admit to not having taken this thread very seriously.

I don't think this forum has hit rock bottom, and I don't think it's going to. Have to admit, the you-know-what thread has got exceedingly tedious, all 800+ pages of it, like most people I only dive in there occasionally.

And there are certainly some threads in Tea Shop which I think shouldn't have been started. But that's mainly an expression of opinion.

Also I don't think 'reports' are routinely ignored. I suppose I've made quite a number over my time here, many have been acted upon. For those that haven't, I accept the ruling. In a lot of them I wasn't the 'victim' of the misbehaviour. I look out for stuff that may upset others - not only myself.

To be honest, nothing that's happened on this forum (at least nothing that I've seen - I may have missed stuff if the Mods stepped in quickly enough) - call it 'trolling' or what you will - comes anywhere close to what I was subjected to in Another Place .... although that happened over eight years ago, I'm not about to forget what happened, however much I try to! And since I was no longer a member of the forum in question, I couldn't 'report' the offending posts (although I did E-mail them).

I'll leave it at that.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Worthwhile learning a bit about moderation, more please
Thanks
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I try to avoid opining on things I do not know about

I am a passionate teatotaller, but I do not bother arguing about drink for I fear many others think differently :?
Much easier, avoids trouble and aggravation :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am a passionate teatotaller, but I do not bother arguing about drink...

So is Darjeeling or Earl Grey your poison? :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, you don't have to drink tea to be teetotal.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:FWIW, you don't have to drink tea to be teetotal.

But it helps to have a good strong swing at golf.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I am a passionate teatotaller, but I do not bother arguing about drink...

So is Darjeeling or Earl Grey your poison? :wink:

Ceylon Assam of course, several times a day, never Earl Grey because
1. Did try it, I hated it
2. I do not belong or want to belong to the class of people who drink EG :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Loose leaf or bags or those tea pigs reusable bags with loose tea?

I'm fortunate in that I live near a Booths supermarket. A small, regional supermarket that read founded by a time served tea blender / dealer. Tea and coffee they do well. If it's a choice of going to Booths or Atkinson in the neighbouring city of Lancaster then it's Booths for practical reasons but Atkinsons has a really good choice too. But roast and blend their own coffee and tea. With these retailers why drink beer, coffee or tea is just so good. Oh! Booth's beer, wine and spirits stock is also great.

BTW one thing I realised Booths seem to be supplying their loose tea with a lot finer leaves. As a kid my grandparents made loose leaf tea and later on when I've drank it in cafes the tea leaves are nearer 1mm sized pieces but now Booths seem to be stocking very fine tea, almost powder or like cafetiere coffee sizes pieces of tea leaf. Why's that then?

How do you brew loose leaf tea? Proper teapot with cup top strainer? Strainer ball in a mug? Strainer unit inside the teapot? Something akin to a coffee cafetiere? Or some other means like reusable tea bags? Do these different methods take different lengths of time to brew up?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cheapest tea bags for me :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:FWIW, you don't have to drink tea to be teetotal.

But it helps to have a good strong swing at golf.

You might try spinning one of these to see what your options are:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cheapest tea bags for me :wink:

Tea does not exist in bags. If God or Nature (whichever you believe in) had intended tea to be put into bags, they would evolved the tea-bag to grow directly on the tea bush.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:

Tea does not exist in bags. If God or Nature (whichever you believe in) had intended tea to be put into bags, they would evolved the tea-bag to grow directly on the tea bush.

Well I've learned something this morning - I was planning a tour through the Yorkshire Teabag fields, and all :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Well I've learned something this morning - I was planning a tour through the Yorkshire Teabag fields, and all :shock:

Were you about to embark on the said tour on a bicycle that God or nature(whichever you believe in)had not intended or caused to evolve,or worse still perhaps by car :shock: .
Shame on you whichever mode you choose.

PS,even should you seek to walk there,shoes could be considered an unnecessary and disgraceful evolvement by some......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Tea does not exist in bags. If God or Nature (whichever you believe in) had intended tea to be put into bags, they would evolved the tea-bag to grow directly on the tea bush.

Were you about to embark on the said tour on a bicycle that God or nature(whichever you believe in)had not intended or caused to evolve,or worse still perhaps by car :shock: .
Shame on you whichever mode you choose.

PS,even should you seek to walk there,shoes could be considered an unnecessary and disgraceful evolvement by some......

And the pavements or roads they walk on! Naturists of all ilks should be required to fight their way through the brambles, bogs and forest-bottoms, wearing naught but a rabbit-skin suit sewn up with the rib bone of a weasel and dried grass of the sort that grows in the same bog they are traversing at the time. (It can be hard to dry it there).

I have walked with one nearly bare foot through a bog-bottom. It was a walk in The Lakes, after we got a bit lost and wandered into a large area called The Bog just below Greenup Edge. It sucked off one boot never to be seen again. The whole thing was just a one foot thick raft of bog growths floating on an invisible tarn! One was lucky to lose only a boot and not the ladywife or even oneself.

Cugel, a rambler.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes