Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Post by bovlomov »

Ben@Forest wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Agreed and why l don't post there anymore. There was a good programme on R4 last night called 'Conspiracy Theories'.

I don't see the connection between the B... thread and conspiracy theories. There are disagreements, for sure.

That wasn't especially intentional, just that Brexit has really polarised the nation beyond traditional political or social allegiances and that it was discussed on the programme.

Well, I suppose conspiracy theories (in the widest sense) come from a feeling of powerlessness.

Leavers and remainers must all feel an utter sense of impotence when they see what's happening in Westminster. Thinking that some shadowy cabal is pulling the strings is slightly more comforting than the thought that the government and Parliament is suffering from mental and moral collapse.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I wouldn't mind knowing what was deleted and why
You can make your point with polite words, argument, even humour :wink:

Well actually it appears you can't on these pages.Anything it seems is deemed "offensive" if posted by certain members whilst others can name call and get away with it.Happens almost daily.I suspect the ones who get away with it are the same who report everything they don't like :roll: Double standards,hypocrisy call it what you like but it is rife across these boards :roll:
(BTW I said it was thinly veiled Tr*****g,and it was and this too will probably be deleted.Either because reported or Moderation gone over board as so often happen on this Forum.).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

100%JR wrote:

Well actually it appears you can't on these pages.Anything it seems is deemed "offensive" if posted by certain members whilst others can name call and get away with it.Happens almost daily.I suspect the ones who get away with it are the same who report everything they don't like :roll: Double standards,hypocrisy call it what you like but it is rife across these boards :roll:
(BTW I said it was thinly veiled Tr*****g,and it was and this too will probably be deleted.Either because reported or Moderation gone over board as so often happen on this Forum.).

If you don't like it, find another forum.

p.s. as rule of thumb, accusations of trolling will be deleted. If you believe someone is trolling, please report the post.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Here's a picture of me falling off in a ford.

It was a long time back and I have little recollection of the incident but it is possible that my bottom hit a rock :wink: .
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

reohn2 wrote:What with 'bring back the birch,English/Irish/Scotsman jokes,and most boring town in the UK threads.
Is the forum running itself into a cult de sac of drivle? :?

I'm spending less time on forums in general, including this one. I suspect I'm not alone.

I don't mind different opinions, and I'm more than happy to learn things I didn't know whether they support or undermine my opinions, and have often changed my mind when I have weighed such evidence. I like a good debate, and you can;t debate with people who agree with you all the time. I actually like hearing from people who have experience and expertise on a topic. On some topics, like for example recreational drugs, I have never been able to come to an opinion on what should be done to limit the damage they cause, and I still have an open mind on it, because I freely admit I don't know what ought to be done (and I have read a lot of reports and evidence about the question over the years).

My personal reason for withdrawing from the forums I used to visit is that on so many issues (including technical and professional ones, not just the usual suspects like Leave), forums are now infested by people who know very little about what they write about, will read no legitimate links, refuse to accept anything that doesn't fit their prejudices when straight facts are pointed out to them, and generally stomp about being openly loud and proud about their own ignorance. And frankly, I'm sick of them. They waste my time, are as much fun as ringworm, and I have better things to do.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

gaz wrote:Here's a picture of me falling off in a ford.

It was a long time back and I have little recollection of the incident but it is possible that my bottom hit a rock :wink: .

Oooh, I feel for you, I did just exactly that once, on greasy setts. 15 miles from home, and I bent the derailleur, so no bottom gears. And I too went right under the water, never have I got out of the clips so fast. And as I go commando up top and had only a single layer, and am female, I had fun wringing out my top. Had to wedge myself in a hedge to do it with any decency. :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100%JR wrote:

I rarely report posts. Maybe the mods monitor certain members, the mods are so good (fast) that they often remove bad stuff before one can read it

Please to answer my questions posted again above, please!
Thanks very much
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 14 Feb 2019, 5:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just checked what 'trolling'* means, I am certainly not doing that!

But, as a wise person said, 'what you [100%] think of me is none of my business'

Trolls used to be little creatures like leprechauns or tylwyth teg, the fairies down the garden, what a shame the word has been hijacked

* "at times the word [troll] Is incorrectly used to refer to anyone with controversial, or differing, opinions" (wykepedia)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm not sure why some think Brexit etc should not be topics of conversation, so long as they are in descrete threads and normal rules of behaviour apply.

If the topic is of no interest, don't enter. Just like with the telly: there us an off switch.

I get baffled in the technical pages. In my naivety I assumed a technical question would have a consensual response. But consecutive answers often directly oppose each other.

That is life.
John
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just checked what 'trolling'* means, I am certainly not doing that!

But, as a wise person said, 'what you [100%] think of me is none of my business'

Trolls used to be little creatures like leprechauns or tylwyth teg, the fairies down the garden, what a shame the word has been hijacked

* "at times the word [troll] Is incorrectly used to refer to anyone with controversial, or differing, opinions" (wykepedia)

I think trolling, in this case, is a reference to a style of fishing rather than the actions of a creature who lives under a bridge.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just checked what 'trolling'* means, I am certainly not doing that!

Trolling in a forum is to offer some argument-bait, in the same way that trolling from a small boat is to offer fishing bait. It's a simile to describe the act of fishing - for either a fish or a response from someone likely to respond to the bait of an opinion radically different from his own.

Trolling can be fairly benign - just an attempt to start an interesting argumentative discussion - like fishing for a fish that you throw back after having a look and considering it's behaviour as it fights your line. It can also be malign - the equivalent of landing the fish, applying the knocker to it's bonce then eating the poor dead creatures. Some trolls like to eat their victims alive! :-)

Cugel, etymologist grade 4D
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If that's true then I've just trolled the PC thread. If I have then was it a bad thing to do? I was posing a question to try and get a response. Admittedly making a point about a view I've held for some time.

Is there an acceptable side to trolling?

BTW I nearly used the word face instead of side in the above question. Changed it because there are never any faces given out by trolls. Their identity is not given.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Trolls used to be little creatures like leprechauns or tylwyth teg, the fairies down the garden, what a shame the word has beenhijacked

Your post was IMO thinly veiled Trolling but I'm sure you know that which is why you persist with the "I think people agree with me really but are scared to admit it" :roll:
Very clever Trolling but Trolling non the less.As is your other post "please answer my questions,please" etc.
Vorpal wrote:
100%JR wrote:

If you don't like it, find another forum.

p.s. as rule of thumb, accusations of trolling will be deleted. If you believe someone is trolling, please report the post.

Ah the old "if you don't like it find another Forum" get out of jail free answer!
I'm on many Forums,and have been for many years,which is why I can spot both Trolling and heavy handed/biased Modding.
As for reporting I shouldn't have to.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A few days ago I wrote this (the context should be clear).

A day or so ago someone referred to EU 'pigmies'. They were asked to clarify that comment and provide evidence. Unsurprisingly, they did not reply which means that their post was in the nature of trolling.

My view of what trolling consists of, as well as simply throwing out there unjustified, unevidenced and controversial claims just to get an argument, as opposed to setting off a genuine debate. The troller tends not to come back to any subsequent discussion, having successfully thrown the cat among the pigeons.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

100%JR wrote:Ah the old "if you don't like it find another Forum" get out of jail free answer!
I'm on many Forums,and have been for many years,which is why I can spot both Trolling and heavy handed/biased Modding.
As for reporting I shouldn't have to.

As am I, and I couldn't disagree more with your view.