Jihadi Brides and their Children.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Jihadi Brides and their Children.

Post by PH »

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:I wonder if that is the defence they wish to use. Ignorance, I suppose.

Except it's not ignorance.
It's not much different to flat earth, folk look for alternative "facts" and those facts are conveyed very convincingly - probably more so than the truth because when you remove the need to tell the truth you can bolster your lies with almost anything that suits.

Are ISIS evil? Almost certainly, particularly at the top because they're playing a game who's rules they've created.
Their troops on the ground? Much less so I reckon, there's a lot of brainwashing and disinformation being used to get them on board.

I think you make some good points.
If you identify with the civilian victims in Syria and are shown some of the horrors perpetrated on them, whilst at the same time looking at the West's indifference or complicity, it isn't such a huge leap to accepting that those fighting that regime are the goodies. Rather than compare them to the easily mocked flat Earthers, I'd have chosen the Western Communists who were defending Stalin long after the evidence of his atrocities was readily available.
I was to an extent playing Devil's Advocate by making the comparison between the jihadists and the International Brigade, it's always a bit daft to compare events from different eras. You could spend all day listing the ways they're not the same, even then you would still be left with some parallels and one of those is the divided public opinion on those who fought. At the end of the Spanish Civil War there were plenty trotting out the "They made their bed..." attitude, they'd have been happy to see Franco deal with them as illegal mercenaries. In papers released a few years ago MI5 kept tabs on many who returned, some had trouble getting employment, some thought their military careers in WWII were blighted by their history...
There's also parallels between Franco and Assad, in that the West keeps changing it's position of support and opposition, depending on who it is challenging those leaders, the British assisted both at different times. Assad's strategy of labelling all his opponents as jihadists worked, even when the figures showed most weren't.
It's not simple, any of it, a young woman got caught up in it and who knows why. I'm not suggesting she should be welcomed back with open arms, neither do I think she is evil and should be left to rot. The right approach IMO is somewhere between those two and it should be for those with a better understanding than those reading media reports to decide where.

A little off topic, but anyone looking for a flavour of what's been going on is Syria could watch "For Sama" I saw it at a screening a couple of months ago, it's now available on C4.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Assad is bad but ISIS are worse. If there are any good guys in the region (and in war it is impossible to stay completely good) it might be the Kurds.

Look at what ISIS did to the Yazidis and then tell me they are just freedom fighters. Like the Nazis at their very worst, they are without compassion or empathy for anyone else. The Kurds were fighting in the same region but on the whole did not descend into such depravity. Would you rather be a prisoner of ISIS or the Kurds? There is a distinction to be made between the warring factions in that region, and between people who have allied themselves to those factions.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Assad is bad but ISIS are worse. If there are any good guys in the region (and in war it is impossible to stay completely good) it might be the Kurds.

Look at what ISIS did to the Yazidis and then tell me they are just freedom fighters. Like the Nazis at their very worst, they are without compassion or empathy for anyone else. The Kurds were fighting in the same region but on the whole did not descend into such depravity. Would you rather be a prisoner of ISIS or the Kurds? There is a distinction to be made between the warring factions in that region, and between people who have allied themselves to those factions.

Whilst I agree with your point you didn't mention the USA or Russia.
Who is the real evil,the person who fired the gun,the person who provided it or the person who made it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

An interesting article on how the right to citizen ship has changed during the last 100 years or so.

A transcendental power, more than any man should possess.” So said Lord Houghton in 1870 in response to William Gladstone’s plan to acquire the ability to revoke the naturalisation of any individual who “acted in a manner inconsistent with his allegiance as a British subject”.

Houghton added that not only was too much power being placed in the hands of the executive but the law was also discriminatory in dealing “differently with naturalised than with British-born subjects”. Parliament agreed and rejected the proposal.

and here we are again

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/16/citizenship-precious-right-not-to-be-arbitrarily-revoked-by-the-state
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see the young woman has won her deportation case to be heard here although the government are appealing.

My view is let her come and make her case. And if there is terrorism evidence against her arrest her, charge her and try her. And if guilty, lock her up. As a teenager at the time she could be given an opportunity for change.

Bringing her here for a court case is not threatening our safety as some papers claim.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see the young woman has won her deportation case to be heard here although the government are appealing.

My view is let her come and make her case. And if there is terrorism evidence against her arrest her, charge her and try her. And if guilty, lock her up. As a teenager at the time she could be given an opportunity for change.

Bringing her here for a court case is not threatening our safety as some papers claim.

Once she is on UK shores she will not be deportable (new word?) because no country will accept her. Regardless of any result from her case, she will be back to stay. As I have said before, she is a disgrace but she is our disgrace, nobody else's, so it is my hope that she gets locked away in a UK cell for some years. Trying to offload her onto Bagladesh was childish and irresponsible, though I do understand the extreme anger behind it.

I disagree with the idea that she poses no risk to the UK. If she is locked away it will only be for a few years and at the end of that she will be back on UK streets with whatever views are rattling around in her head.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see the young woman has won her deportation case to be heard here although the government are appealing.

+1
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

as above
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:

Once she is on UK shores she will not be deportable (new word?) because no country will accept her. Regardless of any result from her case, she will be back to stay. As I have said before, she is a disgrace but she is our disgrace, nobody else's, so it is my hope that she gets locked away in a UK cell for some years. Trying to offload her onto Bagladesh was childish and irresponsible, though I do understand the extreme anger behind it.

I disagree with the idea that she poses no risk to the UK. If she is locked away it will only be for a few years and at the end of that she will be back on UK streets with whatever views are rattling around in her head.

If found guilty I agree she should serve her sentence.
Whatever views rattling around in her head may be that she has realised how foolish and stupid she was,and that she may choose a better path for herself and humanity after release.
She is still only 20 years old,plenty time for reform.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:

If found guilty I agree she should serve her sentence.
Whatever views rattling around in her head may be that she has realised how foolish and stupid she was,and that she may choose a better path for herself and humanity after release.
She is still only 20 years old,plenty time for reform.

I am not a jury member and as far as I am concerned she has done something terrible, and if she now sees Islamic State as we do, I've not heard her say so. I have heard her say that she regrets the effects her actions have had on her own life, but that is not the same as regretting her association with Islamic State. So will she be safe when she walks on UK streets again? As she will. From a strictly practical point of view, that is a concern.

But as I said, she is our problem, nobody else's
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

If she comes back and if she serves some prison time, it seems to me that she will be so well known that she will have to be provided with a new identity. She will probably be unemployable since she will have no skills to offer. All of this is a drain on a country that she has not contributed to.
pwa

Post by pwa »

tatanab wrote:If she comes back and if she serves some prison time, it seems to me that she will be so well known that she will have to be provided with a new identity. She will probably be unemployable since she will have no skills to offer. All of this is a drain on a country that she has not contributed to.

But which other country would you dump her on? She is a problem, but surely she is our problem.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote:If she comes back and if she serves some prison time, it seems to me that she will be so well known that she will have to be provided with a new identity. She will probably be unemployable since she will have no skills to offer. All of this is a drain on a country that she has not contributed to.

she can join the army or counter terrorism services :wink:

The fear I read is thatw hat what one ex -isis member can do another can follow, so the expressed fear was expect a deluge of exUK contesting the removal of citizenhip and getting back in. I wonder what will happen if she wins her case? whats- his -name sajid? was indirectly responsible for the death of UK citizens viz her baby that might have been avoided. criminal negligence? would be a fitting end to that self seeking politician who was at the time aiming to be leader?
Last edited by mercalia on 17 Jul 2020, 9:44am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I am not a jury member and as far as I am concerned she has done something terrible, and if she now sees Islamic State as we do, I've not heard her say so. I have heard her say that she regrets the effects her actions have had on her own life, but that is not the same as regretting her association with Islamic State. So will she be safe when she walks on UK streets again? As she will. From a strictly practical point of view, that is a concern.

But as I said, she is our problem, nobody else's

On the one hand she is currently living in a camp inhabited by other female ISIS sympathisers andnas a result may not feel she can speak freely.
On the other we only have her word for her regrets,but 20/20 hindsight is a world away from 20/20 foresight,especially for a 15year old as was.

I agree totally she is the UK's problem and as such should be returned to the UK for trial,and if found guilty sentence and possible rehabilitation.
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

I personally don't think that as a nation we are responsible, we is too loose a description!
Were you to say that her family was responsible we would be nearer the truth, family & friends must be where to look for cause & effect.
Enough evidence exists to show that she was radicalized by that small number of people who believe in a very narrow, perverted for of Islam, they caused it not the ordinary Joe or Joanna in the street.
Islamic State use violence to control the areas they crave as their particular form of Utopia, with a ruling Patriarchy, not good for freedom of choice of a large portion of the population!
Such a control is the preserve in history of their form of Islam unique, many other religions & societies have practised such control, but that system should be confined to ancient history, a lesson as to how we should never behave! Pax MM